Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice on light and stiff all mountain split
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm 

I'm an owner of a 2008 (i think) 165 prior backcountry split, which I've been running with spark ignition ii bindings. I'm keen to upgrade to either the fuse bindings or the voile light rails soon, mainly in order to save weight, but definitely want to upgrade the board. I'm after something stiff, but also much lighter than the backcountry if possible. I find the backcountry is probably a tiny bit longer than I need, but it depends on the effective edge of the board I replace it with. I used to ride option boards for a long time (vinson) before they started making rubbish boards. I like unity boards (dominion) and anything stiff in a non split board, the prior backcountry doesn't cut it in this regard, I feel like it rides like an old barge, slow edge to edge, soft, and heavy. The venture range seems to stick in my mind for some reason, but nobody seems to publish weights of their boards, and I cant get onto any demo splits unfortunately. I'll only have one split board, so am probably not looking for a rockered board, I need to get an all mountain freeride deck, and I think probably around 163. I've noticed all the hype around the new jones boards, but I'm sceptical, I have a 2009 Jeremy Jones board (the Rossignol one) that is one of the WORST boards I've ever owned. Incredibly soft and non responsive, I rode it for literally one day.

Any recommendations on decks from people who have a really light setup and like to ride really stiff responsive boards (as opposed to wet noodles)?

Post subject: Re: advice on light and stiff all mountain split
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm 

Venture's are stiff and very responsive but they're not light. You have to pay the weight penalty for the bomber construction. Also, The Fuse binders aren't really that much lighter. Thier main benefit is unbreakable construction and unparalelled stiffness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 pm 

I can't say for sure, but I think the Neversummer Raptor (offered next season) is going to be a fairly light board. The Carbon fiber top sheet adds strength to the board while it loses weight. That said, it's still a Neversummer, one of the most bomber constructed boards out there. It's definitely going to be lighter than say my NS split deck. The Summit Split used this tech this year. I haven't had a chance to check one out to see the weight savings. Regardless a split is going to be heavy when compared to a solid deck. Fuse binders let you lose about a pound, in most cases. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm 

Fuse binders are only couple oz. lighter than the iggy II's that he's got right now. Am I missing something??

I agree with Kill, if you want light weight but don't want a noodle then NS is gonna be your best bet. I ride NS Leagcy's inbounds and they're badass decks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm 

Yeah I've been meaning to try a NS deck for many years, but haven't done so. Friends who've had them always comment on the bomber nature of them, but almost always mention that they're heavy. Obviously solid construction and a good warranty are important, but given all the technology out there thesedays I would have thought companies could get closer to a light and solid construction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 pm 

Neversummer's aren't heavy compared to the other splitters that are available and considering what you're looking for.

Maybe you should try to split a Burton Vapor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm 

I do not think you are going to find a split that is as stiff (for a similar size) as a Vinson. I have a 166 Vinson, and it is the stiffest freeride board I have ever encountered. That said, a 25 cm waist Venture Zephyr, or Storm would probably work for you-but it will not be light. Venture's are built to be damp and ride well-with high quality full wood cores. I would advise getting the board that rides the way you need and not worrying about weight of the board. Look to save weight in the interface, bindings, and boots.
I would like to see manufacturers try and address the board weight issue in some models-right now AT skiers have some very good lightweight skis to choose from (K2 Coomback, Dynastar Stoke and Manaslu) for backcountry use. It would be nice to see some boards that saved 1.5 to 2 pounds over what they normally weigh (but no caps!)

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 pm 

Jones Solution is pretty light, and also pretty stiff...

How tall are you/how much do you weigh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 am 

rynogee wrote:

Any recommendations on decks from people who have a really light setup and like to ride really stiff responsive boards (as opposed to wet noodles)?

I'm with you on the Unity Dominion, that was one of the best boards I ever rode, hands down.

However, I liked it because i thought the flex was perfect, i.e., not so firm i couldn't pump, turn, etc. yet torsionally stiff enough to hold a rail. Personally, I find stiff boards to be boats for most BC riding, except for the really high speed, variable condition stuff. But, if thats what's you want it for, then do you really want it super light when you're barging rocks and death cookies at 100mph?

If it were me, i'd get my hands on a tapered Dominion, split it, thrown on some sparks and ti bolts, find some carbon highbacks and sport the 32 ultralights. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:19 am 

Titanium bolts/components is an excellent idea. You could always just keep the hardware from board to board...Whatcha guys bet Will produces Ti parts at some point!

http://www.bluesixbikes.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 am 

Ti hinge pins would be the tits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 am 

My bad on the Ignitions. Yeah, the Fuse would only save an ounce or two.

Again, as I said in my post, the Raptor, and this year's Summit are significantly lighter than previous Neversummer offerings. By quite a bit. Wish I had of taken time to weigh the Raptor when I had it to demo. The bomber construction is still there. About the only thing I can say is you are going to get bumped around more in chop, but that is what you get with a light board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:35 am 

Ti chinese hooks would work, I think touring brackets, too. How about CF whale clips?

If you added it all up the weight loss would be signifigant. And on the whale clips and hooks that is all swing weight, which would really improve handling.