Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skunk Ape or not?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm 

Hey all! Here's the deal... I recently split an old POS GNU 161 with the Voile kit and had my first experiences with it during the last few months. Overall, I was kinda bummed with the way it performed, especially in shit conditions (wind blown crust nastiness most of the time). Anyhow, I think I made the mistake of splitting a board way too small for me (I'm 6'5" 250). I figured it will make a great rock board however. Anyhow, I'm toying around with having one of my Skunk Apes (167 or 172, neither rockered) split by Brian at DTM. I figure the 172 would be the way to go for the extra float. The other option would be to get a Venture split or something. Anyways, enough ramblimg... What do you folks think? Would one of Brian's custom splits be as stiff as a venture. I'm not willing to give up on splitboarding yet, although my backcountry ski buds are definitely trying to convert me over to the dark side with all their rockered out fatty harpoons (narrow ass snowboards).

BTW... Just got some Sparks. (Its been a long journey only to find a pair on Spark's website) Shipped today!

Stephen

Post subject: Re: Skunk Ape or not?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm 

Shameless Bump...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 pm 

I'd spend the money on getting a rockered splitboard. Camber really is dead. The Venture Storm seems to be a great board and a good price.

If it was a Banana Skunk Ape, I'd say go for it, but as a cambered board I think you'd just be pissing your money away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:12 pm 

Like Killclimbz said rockered splits are the way to go! I own a venture storm-r and it has to be my favorate board i have ridden, maybe ever. Turns are effertless and quick, floats awesome and tours great as well. Pick up a rocked split and don't look back. Venture and Never Summer are making awsome boards here in CO! I would definatley suggest either company. Oh, and your stoked on those sparks score! Best split binding for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:52 am 

I've ridden a couple of Skunk 172's and a couple of Litigators (before Lib the changed the name/line-up) and I have to say that, although it's a fairly stiff rig, it won't compare to a factory split from Venture or NS. I'm currently on a Zephyr-R 170 (thanks Southparksplitnek) and I couldn't be happier with the board. I can't remember riding a better handling board, split or solid.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:08 pm 

Monk split a Slunk Ape for me. It is still very stiff. It is a cambered board, which I like. I think there is something to be said for camber when skinning, especially steep terrain. However, I wouldn't mind picking up a small rockered board.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm 

LOL @ camber being dead.
I wouldn't split your skunkapes. Get a factory made split. I have two GNU Billygoats 08/09 & 09/10 and have toyed with the idea of splitting them but since I enjoy ripping them the way they are I have decided to go with a factory split. I'm very interested in next years Jones split or possibly a Venture or Neversummer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:02 pm 

Man, now I'm really confused. After reading the review on the Solution I think that might be the way to go. I'm a believer in Mag and I now Nidecker makes good boards. CAnt beat it for $800. I still think I may end up splitting one of the Skunk Apes though. I think the camber is better for skinning, especially when I'm punching through all the time. Rocker seems like it wouldn't float as well while skinning. The Storm looks sick too. Man, its so hard to figure this shit out. Thanks for all the replies fellas.