Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spark Fuse's - Observations, setup and modifications
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm 

For all those experiencing pin wear... Have you noticed any wear down of the bearing or the holes of the binding itself?

I would imagine Will engineered the pins to have a significantly lower material toughness (Toughness-ability of a material to absorb energy or to resist fracture when stressed) than the actual binding aluminum. That way the pins would be designed to fail before the base plates and much cheaper to replace. I thought I'd do a quick check but I couldn't find what materials were used. All it says is stainless steel pins and aluminum base plates...not very specific. Yes I am an engineering dork.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am 

okay, the pin wear issue prompted me to post. i've only about about 10 days on my fuse setup (just got back from some sick canadian powder) and i've noticed some serious wear. everybody else posted here talked about seeing the wear after 60ish days. i only had 10!! is there any thoughts or comments on this? what could be causing the excessively early wear? too many laps on big lines?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am 

I have 35 tours on my pins (Ignition II bases) and had to change them out due to very obvious play while touring. The pins had deteriorated to about 80% the normal diameter where they interface with the touring bracket. Luckily I had another set.
I didn't see any wear relative to ride mode, nor could I see this happening. Assuming of course the puck setup has no play in it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm 

That pin wear is really excessive. A couple possibilities come to mind,
-the tour bracket has a burr in the pin hole
-the pin isn't tucked under the toe strap while touring

It looks like the wear is happening at the tour bracket.
I've been on the same pins for three seasons with Ignitions. Is this problem only happening to Fuses?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:48 pm 

Earlier I had reported that I had no boot issues with my bindings... But now after almost a full season on the bindings, 60+ days... My boots have some wear issues...

It is slightly possible that this wear has been amplified by my personal preferences... While in tour mode I don't run my ankle straps that tight all all....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 pm 

I get wear in the same spots on near the high back hinge, I know that southparksplitnek has the same issue with his sparks too. I run my ankle straps pretty tight, so I don't think that is the cause. I think it is just wear from the repetitive movement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:44 pm 

I also have the same wear problems on both my boots (on each side of both boots). Really sucks to have holes in $400 boots to be caused by $300 bindings. I've tried to crank down the straps as much as possible during skin mode but it isn't comfortable.

I've tried to protect the already damaged areas a few ways..neither of which work consistently well... mole skin, duct tape and plastic adhesives (used as a chainguard for bikes).

Looks like the heel cup is just too narrow. I was honestly disappointed when this happened on my first day out on brand new sparks. Now its been an entire season of just trying to minimize drilling holes in the sides of my boots.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:07 pm 

Here's some old thread on the same pin wear on ignitions viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6195&p=44534#p44534

I just received my new fuse binders and will be replacing my touring brackets. This worked out on my ignitions and although I still have had some grooving it hasn't been bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

I just discovered what may be a flaw with stock buckles.

Went out for drops via heli this weekend and on my 2nd drop as I ratcheted down my heel strap the buckle busted.
Switched up with the toe strap rode another lap, and then my other binding heel buckle busted in the exact same spot!
Anyone else have issues? I've had about 20 days on them and this is the first issue I've had come up.

Won't be riding with these straps any more. Switched up my C60's and they fit great.

My recommendations for anyone looking at the Fuse, buy the base plates and fit your own straps on there.
You don't want to be stuck out there with busted buckles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm 

I have also busted a heel strap ratchet. Just replaced the bent metal ones with some burton one i had around. After
breaking the one so easily i didn't want to risk it anymore! As for the holes in my boots.... i looked at my boots in my bindings
and noticed where they were rubbing, took my dremel out and blended out the plastic where the highback mount was. Hopefully
they will be better. Other than that awesome set of binders! :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 am 

bcrider wrote:
Just one more reason I despise pin leashes all together but I'm glad you got a solution sorted out.

As for pin wear and tear, it happens over time. I wouldn't be surprised if Will comes up with a fix but for now replacing pins every couple years is a small price to pay for the benefits of the bindings in the first place. :thatrocks:

New splitters have it so easy. :D

I know...I remember when people were offering Will their left testicles in exchange for a prototype, warts and all...now the complaint is that their 400 boots shouldn't show wear from their 300 binders. Even though it's the boots that were engineered for resort riding, and not the BC.

Plasti-dip. Shoe-goo.

PS...I know the heel cup issue has come up before, but if you don't like the heel cups or straps, just buy the baseplates and frankenstein your own. Regarding pin wear issues, I think you'll save money in the long run if you A)spend time polishing (don't overdo this, sloppy interface will speed the wear) your touring brackets with your dremel tool, and B) buy new touring brackets when you replace your pins....it may seem overkill to you, but does shimano recommend replaing the rear cassette on your Mt. Bike when you replace the chain?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm 

I noticed that some of the salomon boots have narrower heels and some extra material where the heel cups contact compared with a pair of burton driver x's. It seems like a better design, and I wonder if people have had the same issue with them?

Also, I'm so stoked on my sparks! I can't believe how good they are... they shred, they traverse, they're nice and light, they're strong... really put me on much more level ground with all the skiiers. Don't know how I lived without them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 am 

I just bought the fuse plates and i'm struggling to get them to fit on the touring brackets.Very tight fit.
I'm thinking of taking a file to the outside of each bracket.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any other fix solutions?
Thanks.
Ian.