Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sentury splitboard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:58 am 

Nothing from Sentury? Absent from the interweb handling business? If nothing comes of this by Monday, I am going to sticky a do not buy/warning thread about Sentury on my forum. I may ask Angrysnowboarder to put up a warning too. Taking people's money and not delivering what you promised is a major no no in my book. Fortunately with the internet we can also put the squeeze on people who do this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 am 

.....But thier boards "are the lightest and cheapest boards on the market" :roll:

I also find if funny that the two guys in this thread that have actually touched one, have a combined post count of 2. Alias's? maybe. Employees? probably.

Sentry Snowboards = Premature ejaculation.

Where Sentry has utterly failed, in my opinion, has been the gross under estimation of the splitter community's willingness and desire to faithfully support the underdog. Look at the major splitboard companies. Venture, Prior and Voile are by no stretch snowboard industry powerhouses but yet they thrive due to the core group of splitters who suport them and spread the word about thier product. If Sentury gave a shit they would not treat a single customer in this way, let alone several (that we know about).

:twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:04 pm 

Well said Bones Get Broke.

Agreed. As a consumer of splitboard products, its WAY better on my conscious if I can support a small rider-owned company that builds they're boards in house. I think Venture just might be one of the coolest companies out there... all of their manufacturing power comes from wind! Plus, they're TOTALLY AWESOME when it comes to customer service! I had a ton of questions about boards, and my emails were responded to within hours! Its too bad that Sentury seems to be screwing the pooches. They really could do something unique...

PS. It does seem a bit outlandish to claim that they're boards are the lightest and cheapest... That is hard to do when the competition is so much more competent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 pm 

Here is the tracking USPS #EO 973 069 499 US. This was a proform, we only charged $618.50 and it was a custom one off board with skins ans kit included! Sorry for the lack of communication! We're upgrading our factory and very limited this month. So Russell, you are kinda correct. But we typically have excellent customer service. Not too mention we actually shipped a 2011 model. Please let us know if you still have any problems. alex@senturysnowboards.com or ben@senturysnowboards.com.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 pm 

You guys should send a rep out and some demo boards to the Baker Splitfest! Be a great way to get a positive vibe out there. I was on the Sentury website earlier today, and I'm not going to lie, your boards and presentation look really, really great through cyberspace. If you guys could offer a pro deal for a grad student/bike shop mechanic I'd ride a Sentury, for sure. Just need to know that it would show up after I paid for it!

Best of luck to you guys. I hope stuff works out; we need small local companies to flourish. I think I speak for all of us on here when I say that. :disco:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 am 

Look, Ben. I'm not here just to bash. I use the website to read the updates, stay up on gear, and read about people's stoke. But when I wanted to buy a new split, you guys STARTED out very high on the list due to being local. After trying to contact you guys and hearing no response, then hearing from unhappy customers, I starting talking trash to try to get you on the board so you can speak for yourself. I'm happy people that needed to get taken care of finally got what they needed.

What you need to be clear to your customers is that you are new to making splitboards and don't have the experience that, say, Venture, Prior, or any other splitboard company has. For that, you should offer boards for much cheaper....which, to you credit, it seems many folks are able to get the bro-deal pro-form on. It just bothered me deeply that I heard multiple stories of people either not getting their board at all or having a very long wait. I apologize for that much trash talking. Seriously, I hope you get more experience making these boards and come out ahead of the pack.

BTW, I ended up with a Prior Spearhead 161 and think it's the most amazing craftsman-built board I've ridden. A true powder specific board that i've never had before. Rides like a dream in the deep stuff (two weeks ago on West shore of Tahoe), and not bad on hardpack (when riding back down to the base of Whitewater, BC after a day of sidecountry). Lots of pop, fun to ride, and skins great too.

Cheers,
SI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 am 

A couple of tips from the hinterlands. 1st Do you Sentury guys want to succeed in your endeavor? I have no idea of the build quality or tech of your boards so I'm going strictly on info here on this forum. I bought into the small company = better product concept a couple of years ago & purchased a Unity splitboard(1 of maybe like 13 built?). Its a well built board ... BUT .... you couldn't give me another 1 - ever - because their customer service totally sucked ass.

In any business, no matter how great you make your product or dazzle the world with promotion, customer service will either make you or break you. Will & Spark R & D are the best example to look at. He has a truly innovative product born out of his love for this sport. What has built his reputation over time & generated the love from all corners of the splitboard community is his customer service. He answers questions, he delivers on promises, he doesn't cover his ears if negative feedback happens - he tries to make things right, and he solidly stands behind his product.

Snowboards are a competitive product. Even splitboards. There's some genuine quality & performance available. Just because you make snowboards doesn't make you cool or badass.....you better get the service end of things dialed in or you won't be around long. :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 am 

Wasn't sure where to enter this house fire or if I even wanted to step inside, so I figured a sick pic might be the best entrance.

What you see here are four prototype Sentury splits - a 157, a 162 wide, and two 165 mid-wides. Let your eyes sink into the graphics a little bit...check out the twin shapes...note the stances...imagine the cambered wood cores inside them...

OK, y'all chilled out now? No? Alright, i'll pack you one more...

I'm sorry to hear that a few of you have had problems with Sentury. Sounds like those who had a legit issue found some resolution which is good.

So anyway, i'm not here to go out on a limb for past Sentury transgressions. I am far from a Sentury employee and merely a pro-sumer who has found a few more p-texed opportunities to ride the locally made boards than most. What brought me out of the forest and into the burning streets of internetville was to address a couple questions who's answers seem to be long overdue....

#1: How does a Sentury splitboard ride?

Jump back to the head trip I described before that last binger...let the true twin shape marinate on your mind...let the fully-cambered wood core resinate on your brain...imagine your wide duck stance positioned dead center on that 162 wide...now check your speed...weight your toe edge...pop...spin...keep spinning...stomp it switch sucka!

What do you think these Senturys ride like?

They ride exactly as they look- like a true-twin park board built around a fairly poppy and noticeably light wood core. I have been riding the 165 a fair bit this season and have had a damn good time on it. Although I have mostly had the stance pushed back, the twin shape kinda makes me wanna bonk about a bit more, especially on playful terrain like Tahoe's westshore where the tree alleys and micro-pillow drops beg for sequences of 180's and butter slashes. Brings out my Boreal Mtn roots ya know...

That said, the Sentury has seen a little High Sierra action too. I brought it out for a couple long couloirs based purely on its bootpacking weight. I haven't weighed it but it's pretty damn light and featherweight compared to my 165 Venture Divide. The thinly glassed top sheet and desert-dried wood core on the Sentury have their tradeoffs however. It does not enjoy charging through choppy avy debris nor jump turns on steep re-freeze.

The bottom line with these boards though is shape and stance. I have not seen any other production splitboard on the market that offers such a legit park shape, size, and flex. If you are a park rider who is used to riding a wide-stanced true-twin set up, look long and hard at getting a Sentury. But wait...don't look just yet...which brings up my second question.

#2 Can I buy a Sentury Splitboard?

Not yet.

I have recently spoken with Ben point blank about the reality of his splitboard program and the real deal is that despite his best intentions he has been too busy to accept public splitboard orders this season. He had hoped 09/10 was gonna be the year of the Sentury split, hence the availability on the web cart, but as the season ramped up, other priorities piled up, and twas not to be. Thus, Sentury splits will not be available until 10/11.

Again, not here to make excuses for Sentury either way, but the one remaining thought i'll add before lumbering back into the woods is that I feel any growth of the splitboard market is good growth. I don't care if you're the uber- indy company or K2. If you wanna make a split and invest energy into the market i'm all for it because we need as many splitboard manufacturers as we can get. Every new split producer helps legitimize the market segment that much more and in turn attracts the dollars and attention we need to drive the long awaited development of new splitboard everything!

Sentury may have been a little too bold in their debut line choice, but give em a break after the obvious cartwheel and let them get back on their feet for a rebate. It's in all of our best interest to let them dial in their split scene this summer and hope they come back throwing hammers next winter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm 

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 pm 

I don't know about the other stuff, but that board has a giant leopard and a tiny Beastie Boys quote on it. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 am 

I have been doing a lot of research on boards lately, trying to find something suitable for my first new splitty. After reading this thread it naturally made me curious about this company and even more so since their shop is right down the street!!!

I called Ben up and he invited me down to check out his shop and his boards. He spent about an hour and a half with me going over what kind of board would fit my needs and gave me a tour around his shop. He showed me next seasons graphics, future advances which will make his boards more affordable for people who don't have $1,100 to drop on a brand new splitboard, what makes his boards much lighter than the competition and new advances that will make boards in general better. Being a guy who likes to improve "stock" designs and make my own equipment, I like where he is going with his future products. There are some pretty cool improvements coming (I don't know how much I can divulge at this time)!!!

I applaud his customer service in my case. I don't know anyone who would have spent that much time out of their busy day (not even car salesmen...)to provide such excellent customer service.

To answer some of your concerns and rants about this company... Remember these guys aren't in full production yet, but have been making splitboards for about 5 years now. Ben has been involved in more than most people know and has designed and engineered key components for competitor boards (some of which you guys are riding now...). Their solid board production suffers when making splitboards due to the care needed and longer time it takes to make a quality splitboard. To be honest, I have always been a kind of against the grain type of guy and will give most people the benefit of the doubt before subscribing to internet bashing. Maybe this board will totally suck, but then again, it might be totally rad... We will see soon enough!!!

So, for everyone who is attending the Kalifornia Split Party, look to see first hand, the Team splitboard from Sentury.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:29 pm 

i must say that i was impressed by the sentury boards that i saw at splitfest. and after watching ken tear up some big lines on a "team" and a "backcountry" i was trying to figure out how to justify buying a new splitboard to take to new zealand.

well, as they say, be careful what you wish for....

looks like i'll be writing the next review of the sentury backcountry split!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 am 

Sorry, I'm not following. is that a Sentury board, or did you break somwthing else and are now thinking of buying a Sentury? Either way, that board is toasted! :headbang:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next