Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: storm-r vs bc vs the solution
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:22 am 

i'm from sweden, i generally ride in scandinavia plus a trip or to down to the alps each year. and i'm looking for a splitboard.

my everyday board is a gnu billygoat, which replaced my gyrator this year. i really like the nimbleness, surfyness and playfulness of the BG. the thing it lacks however is stability at speeds.

i want a splitboard that i can take out to bigger lines (hoping to spend the next season i chamonix). the board should be able to handle shitty conditions and skied-out snow well, aswell as having good edge grip. however i will probably always go for a more playfull board than a damp, stiff beast.

so the boards:

jones solution: based on the rossi experiance which look like an awesome board. manufactured by nidecker whom i like. but it is a new brand and they will have some kinks to work out (like all brands). not sure if i want to be a guinea pig.

venture storm-r: sounded like the obvious choice when i started looking for a board. i like the rocker, the reports of serious construction and that it has a poppier/livelier feel. the cons are the taper (i like twinish boards where the tail kicks you out of a turn) and my worries that it will be a bit to specific for big mountains.

prior BC: i had dismissed prior at first glance after hearing that they break kinda easy and that other company offer more for the money. but on paper the bc looks like the board i want (tied with the solution). prior are also supposedly livelier, which is a plus.

i'm 177 cm and about 75 kg naked, the board should be in the 165-70 range. any other boards i should be looking at? NS are out because i don like the feel of them, to much taper on voiles...
maybe AMF or helix?

this became longer than i thought, partly because i need some help but mostly because i wanted to collect my thoughts.

any way, all advice is helpful!

/blog

Post subject: Re: storm-r vs bc vs the solution
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 pm 

Sounds like you want two boards: one that is playful and poppy, and one that can handle big mountain terrain and snow conditions (variable snow, and the need for stability). There is not going to be one board that will excel in both conditions you describe-a Venture Storm R and the Prior Backcountry will be great all around boards for powder, steeps, and can handle variable snow conditions and riding at speed-these boards will be choice in the big mountain environment of the Alps.
Twin shapes, like the Helix typically have deeper sidecuts, softer flexes, and (of course) no taper, and as such they lack stability at speed and the versatility to manhandle difficult snow conditions. One thing I would point out-tapered boards do not necessarily lack power off of the tail of the board-the stiffer flex of the and the setback stance will give you plenty of power off of the tail of either the Prior Backcountry or the Venture Storm R.
I would say: if you are truly a freestyle rider, concerned more with getting air, jibbing, spinning, and riding switch, get a twin.
If you want a high performance ride primarily for making turns in all conditions with the ability to excel in all types of snow and terrain, get a tapered, directional freeride board like the Storm R.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 am 

The Rossi Experience is not playful, but it does go like hell. It's truly a big-mountain, drop-it-at-mach-2, super-stable board. It's also quite light, so it'll be interesting to see if The Solution ups the ante on light-weight sidewall-construction splits. I'm really looking forward to the Jones boards, and, if things go well, enough, wonder when/if we might see a hovercraft split... :thumpsup:

Shep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 am 

yeah, thats pretty much it. the biggest question i face is how much "big mountain" i want ot go with a new board. i mean, lets face it, i never ride park and spend most of my time either in the backcountry or the slackcountry. but i still like to ride parkish boards, because they are fun, and the sole reason i snowboard is to have fun.

the ability to handle variable snow is on top of the list since my billy goat doesn't do that. i amf and helix are not serius contenders i just threw them in there as possibiltys.

the front runners right now are the BC and the solution. i am worried about the durability of the prior, so if anyone can reassure me of their construction that would be great.

if the jones boards are on par with the yes boards construction wise, they will be seriusly awesome. but jones is gonna sell a shit ton of boards anyway so why not support the smaller guys, the more the merrier right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am 

I have not had any problem with Prior on durability. I have ridden my Prior Backcountry split for 3 seasons now as my primary ride-two days ago I went too hard into a compression, and ripped the Voile pucks on the front foot right in half (a lot of force to the board) with no damage to the board.
That said, if you want to support the small guy, and get the absolute best quality construction, go with a Venture 167 cm. Storm R-you will not be sorry.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 am 

I don't have experience with very many boards or splitboards (used Burtons and Voiles), but I got a Storm-R (166) split this year and have to say that it does everything well (actually great), and is built as bomber as it gets. You absolutely will not be disappointed with this board in any conditions (in my humble opinion).

In steep pow it goes as fast as you want, feels like it is on rails, and carves huge or small turns like no other board I've ever ridden. In tight trees it is super responsive, very turny, and you can just wiggle through far better than any board I've had. In crudy, crusty, heavy, junky, snow it still works great as the rocker seems to float you up and over the crud.

I haven't tried it on a super-steep icy run, but I have used it on tight, icy exit tracks and it works just as well or better as any cambered board (again IMHO).

Skinning? No problems at all, for me it works just as well, or better, than any cambered board I've used.

Construction? Again, as good as anything I've seen and way better actually than most.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 am 

thanks for the replies. the more info there is out there on boards the easier it will be for people (like me) who decides what boards to get from internet research.

iv'e decided to go with the storm. everyone seems to think that it's awesome and i guess i will trust the majority.

however, i will probably wait till next fall to get one, or possibly spring/summer sale. if the solution has the right price (it needs to be a pretty fantastic price) i might get that instead.

i just wish the storm had some camber between the feet...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 am 

If you haven't pulled the trigger on the Storm then consider the Venture Zephyr-R. It's got the same overall construction as the Storm-R but the stance is a little more centered and there is a little less taper. It actually sounds like a much better fit for what you're looking for than the Storm-R.

...And I wouldn't look for the Jones boards to be in the inexpensive category. They've got two patents to pay for (Mervin and Voile) so they'll probably be pretty high in the price range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 am 

bones get broke wrote:
If you haven't pulled the trigger on the Storm then consider the Venture Zephyr-R. It's got the same overall construction as the Storm-R but the stance is a little more centered and there is a little less taper. It actually sounds like a much better fit for what you're looking for than the Storm-R.

...And I wouldn't look for the Jones boards to be in the inexpensive category. They've got two patents to pay for (Mervin and Voile) so they'll probably be pretty high in the price range.

Ha!

Can't believe i didn't consider the zephyr! i must have been thrown of by the lack of description on the website... i'm gonna e-mail them and ask about the rocker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 pm 

blunder wrote:
Ha!

Can't believe i didn't consider the zephyr! i must have been thrown of by the lack of description on the website... i'm gonna e-mail them and ask about the rocker.

Hah me neither. Probably because my first POS car was a 1982 Mercury Zephyr Image

I guess it just a stigma I was left with. I'm sure the Venture rides a little better than the Mercury.