Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edge hold? Prior Backcountry vs Venture Storm-R
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm 

So I have been researching for a while and have come down to deciding between a 166 Prior Backcountry with Prior's hybrid rocker and a 166 Venture Storm-R (25 cm).

Me: 6', 170 lbs, ride on the west coast and am moving to Alaska next summer, plan to ride Dynafit hard boots and MTN plates, current solid board is a 169 Prior 4WD with TD3's and Hardboots.

My question is how does the stiffness and edge hold at higher speeds compare between the two boards. Everyone is raving over the Storm, but I am concerned that being flat between my feet and the longer rocker then the Prior, I wont be able to carve when it gets crusty and icy. I am really excited about the longer rocker of the Storm for when it dumps, but what about the rest of the time?

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Edge hold? Prior Backcountry vs Venture Storm-R
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm 

I have a euphoria which has a little more rocker and is a little softer than the storm so I cant give you a direct comparison. I found the Euphoria to feel kind of sketchy on the scrappy stuff. I almost think part of this is mental. when I just trust that it will do it's thing and have some faith it holds really well. It just doesn't feel confidence inspiring. Kind of hard to explain but its rides a lot more solid than a board with a real long nose and almost no tail with a lot of rocker should. Now that I trust it there is plenty of hold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:03 pm 

Thanks for the report. Not having the solid edge in those "scrappy" conditions as you say is exactly what I was thinking about. The Storm has a little less rocker and is a bit stiffer so it should hold a little better then your Euphoria.

Has anyone ridden both the Storm and Backcountry and can tell me if the stiffness is the same between the two? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 am 

I have flexed both boards, but only ridden the (cambered) Prior Backcountry 168. The Venture Storm 167 (26 waist) is a tad stiffer than the Prior, and the Prior has a little less sidecut. I would expect these differences to make for very close performance in terms of edge grip. The Prior (hybrid rocker) does have camber between the feet, which should translate to a little better skinning performance, and perhaps (combined with the longer sidecut) a little better edge grip at speed in hard conditions. I think either of these boards are the top choices for an all-around split for backcountry free riding. If I was moving to AK, I would probably go for the Prior Backcountry 172, as the bigger size is stiffer ( I am 6'1", 175 lbs) and AK is about bigger terrain.
I am still waiting for someone to do a longer sidecut (11 meter radius) board with an early rise tip (tip rocker) and very slight camber from the middle of the board through the tail-I think this would result in supreme versatility and retain the stability and skinning performance of a cambered board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm 

Barrows,

Thanks for the input. I was already leaning torward the Prior Backountry 168 and I think you just reaffirmed my thoughts. I am actually going to order the 154 for my wife as well.

I was considering ordering a 25cm waist instead of the 26cm because I am used to the smaller size. My last soft boot board was an Arbor Element that had almost identical tip and tail widths to the Prior Backcounrty 168, but a 25cm waist. My only concern with the smaller waist is the length of the sole on the Zzero 3's are much longer than my current hardboots and I may have to push the angles farther forward to prevent massive overhang. I am going to compare the sole length of my friends Zzero 4's to my soft boots (Malamutes) when I get home.

Finally, and slightly off topic, how did you mod the forward lean bar on your Zzero 3's? The two holes are so close together that I am considering joining them (drilling out the metal in between them to make one oval) to make the boot ride like my current hard boots do in powder mode (Locks them from going farther then half way back but allows for full forward lean from there). Thanks for your time and all of your posts...I have read the majority of them while I have been researching.

Flip