Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wallowa Alpine Huts Splitrippin Fest 2010!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 pm 

Hey everyone!
I’m here in the Wallowa Mountains working for Wallowa Alpine Huts, gaining experience as a splitboard guide, and making my way through the American Mountain Guides Association Ski Mountaineering Guide Program. As a fellow splitboarder, I talked Connelly aka Yurtmeister into hosting a few gatherings of our own kind. The Wallowas are an amazing remote mountain range with incredibly diverse geology and ecosystems. The snowpack takes the form of an intermountain snow climate. Average snow totals range from around 350” on the east side (McCully Yurts) to 500” on the west side at the Norway Yurt. It’s also a reasonable distance from the Portland and Seattle areas (5 and 6hrs respectively.)
So here’s what I’m thinking:

Dates: March 14 to 17 at the Norway Yurt near Halfway, OR.
The trip will especially suit riders from moderate to advanced fitness/abilities. Plan on big days riding multiple aspects, and 3-5,000 vertical feet per day. I’ll be hosting the trip with Victor, another splitboard guide. We provide seamless logistics starting from a cabin (the White Fir near Halfway) the night before the trip if needed. We cater all meals from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You don’t have to schlep oversized packs into the yurt either, just a sleeping bag and pillow liner. Also, we have the additional means to porter a keg/s of Terminal Gravity (local microbrew) to the camp. So come on out! Shoot us an email at info@wallowahuts.com or if you’ve got questions for me mattprimomo@yahoo.com. Due to our wilderness permit, the max is 12 riders, so first come first serve. Looking forward to meeting everyone, having a great time, and getting after it! http://www.wallowahuts.com/

Also, some of you on the site have expressed interest in learning more about snowboard mountaineering skills. On March 25 to 28 I’ll be teaching an Intro to Snowboard Mountaineering Course at the Norway Yurt.
Topics covered will include:
• Efficiency techniques
• Use of the ice axe and crampons, self arrest techniques on steep snow
• Trip planning and navigation
• Continuing snowpack and conditions evaluations
• Anchor systems
• Rappel/belay techniques
• Steep descent techniques, climb and ride one of the nearby peaks. First descents are plentiful...
• Plus more as interest desires

Heres a link to some photos of the area http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39107&id=1666583209&l=c90eba70d1

Cheers, and hope to see you in March!

Post subject: Re: Wallowa Alpine Huts Splitrippin Fest 2010!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:10 pm 

Fantastic pictures by the way on your facebook link.....

Do you have any idea on costs at this time?

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm 

Awesome looking terrain.

I've had the pleasure of working with both Matt and Victor and can vouch for them both being strong riders, professional guides and standup dudes.

I hope winter is deep in Wallowas for you guys and you get many good descents.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm 

Hey guys,
either of the trips are 625/ person. This includes guides, all meals and snacks, bedding, and in town accommodations.

Thanks for the wishes Dave. I'm down in Red Rocks now for another day climbing, then up the Eastside... looking for partners. I'll defnitley swing by Tahoe for a few as well. Give me a ring!

Cmon guys, everyone needs to check this place out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 am 

This course is a great opportunity to unite splitboarders from the greater area and get after it in Norway. With seamless logistics and accommodations all you have to do it show up ready to go big. The chance to become more dialed in on your split with experienced professionals is here. So what are you waiting for... Lets get off the couch, stop talking about it and do it. Splitrippin Fest 2010. If you're not convinced check out this link for more photos.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10924138&id=869695443

Hope to see you out there, happy shredding!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 am 

This is one of the things I don't like about the multiple subforums here... I rarely end up checking forums other than the main talk and TR ones. Just saw this today. Always wanted to check out the Wallowa huts. Well hope those trips happened and went well. Maybe next time. Post some pics!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 am 

+1 Not saying I would have signed up for sure but I definitely would have been interested.

jimw wrote:
This is one of the things I don't like about the multiple subforums here... I rarely end up checking forums other than the main talk and TR ones. Just saw this today. Always wanted to check out the Wallowa huts. Well hope those trips happened and went well. Maybe next time. Post some pics!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm 

+2, not to get off topic, so maybe I should start a new thread in the OT section? :lol:

But my :twocents: is that this community is a bit too small to realistically need all these subforums...or maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to have to check more than 2 forums (TRs and Talk).

I know the split partners wanted forum doesn't get checked regularly enough to be useful either.

I've never done a hut trip...but I think I love the idea!