Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:39 pm 

Way to stick together and help Joe on the way out Jim! 8)
Major karma points and I'm sure joe was very appreciative.

Quick question on your decision to not cross the lake.
Did you inspect the ice at all or just assume it wasn't safe due to the time of day it was? When we crossed it 2hrs earlier, I didn't just walk out there without carefully checking the thickness. After 5mins of inspection, I found the ice to be very thick and determined it safe for travel.

The reason I bring this up is because it seems like the folks that didn't take the lake didn't really do much to analyze the ice. By pointing this out, hopefully it will be food for though in similar situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:26 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Quick question on your decision to not cross the lake.
Did you inspect the ice at all or just assume it wasn't safe due to the time of day it was? When we crossed it 2hrs earlier, I didn't just walk out there without carefully checking the thickness. After 5mins of inspection, I found the ice to be very thick and determined it safe for travel.

The reason I bring this up is because it seems like the folks that didn't take the lake didn't really do much to analyze the ice. By pointing this out, hopefully it will be food for though in similar situations.

Nope, I didn't check out the ice at all. This is because I thought that the two people that I saw traversing the lake when I got back to camp were actually you and mmcpheet, since you two were the last guys I knew of to leave. I yelled out from camp and asked if they were going to cross the lake, and they yelled back that they weren't. So I assumed that you and mmcpheet had decided that it was not safe to cross, so I didn't even consider checking it out myself. I don't have much experience with judging lake ice for safeness anyway, and so thinking that you guys nixed the idea and being by myself pretty much put it out of my mind.

By the time I caught up and found out that the two guys were actually patroller420 and Joe, we were about at the point where that big slide path into the lake was. To get onto the lake at that point we probably would have had to backtrack since the lake was all melted out there due to the debris. We didn't really even consider that option, as we were already about halfway around the lake, so we just tried to figure out a way to make it work while continuing the traverse. The easiest option seemed to be for Joe to use my Verts and me to carry his board.

Going back to Saturday, on the way in, I also didn't even consider crossing the lake. This was because:

- I could see several melted out areas around the edge by the dam. I didn't want to get out partway and have to turn around.

- I had already spent 6 hours going the wrong way just to get to the dam, and I was not about to make any more route decisions that weren't 100% guaranteed. Though in retropsect I kinda wish I had... :) I knew I could make the traverse even if conditions sucked, and there were already skin tracks (I didn't see the ones on the lake at the time).

About the ice, how thick do you think it was at the *thinnest* point, and what was the process to determine if it's safe? I wonder how much longer the lake will be crossable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:58 am 

Thanks for the detailed response jimw. I'll put some thoughts together later too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:13 pm 

Out on the lake there were several cracks in the ice. I was able to stick my pole in it and felt solid ice at least 2 feet down. The sketchiest parts were right along the shore, but BCR found good locations to get on and off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:01 pm 

The ice was definetly several feet thick in most locations. The cracks did concern me a bit though. Then I remembered the traverse and the cracks didn't seem so bad. I agree with PJ, getting on and off concerned me until I saw the route with my own eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:39 pm 

Being an O.G. pond hockey player back east, I can tell you we skated on any ice at least a foot thick. And our WICKED monster trucks too...

You all remembered to unbuckle your packs in case you fell in though...right :?: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:54 pm 

*grin*

I did a similar test to PJ's.. Stood on the edge, stuck a pole in the crack, couldnt find the bottom.. That's a LOT of ice. Soo, since boats are allowed on the lake, think anyone would have a problem if we DROVE to the greenstone camp? :wink:

The most nervewracking part of crossing the lake was probably where the Avy debris was. I dont blame ya for not headin in there, Jim. That was really spooky.

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:56 am 

Sorry to hear about you feeling sick SFB, missed you guys out there. Hopefully next time beter. Stay in T. during Summer ...

Grtx MD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:03 am 

I left camp Sunday morning and checked the ice/lake situation. Decited to go for it. Tried tp avoid light blue spots, but was aware that most likley even those would hold. Saw some cracks along the edge etc, and around the debri. Anyway .. was glad to get of the lake and cont. on road :)

MD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9