Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Noboarders are born...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:05 pm 

Can someone explain the benefit of noboarding? What is the point? Is this a sport because "it can be done" rather than should be done?

I also really don't see the point of wake surfing? Why bother. Looks boring and burns soo much gas.

Fill me in on the stoke factor. I've noboarded in the chair lift line up with out my bindings on and it sucked so I can't imagine wasting good pow with no bindings.
:bananas:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 am 

Good to see so many stoked on this, but seriously kiddies this aint nothing new. This is how us old folks did it back in the day, but the rope went to the nose of the board for a more natural stance (similar to what Tom pointed out).
Snurfers, Backhills, Sims, Barfoot, etc, etc.... What's old is new again... Surf on! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm 

I guess just like how Neon is "cool" again.

If you're going to reinvent something, try and make it better.

Snuffer->binding->split -> back to snuffer/noboard??

I see this noboard thing like those short big foot skis or maybe mono boards :banghead: . Something that reverts in technology is never going to last.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am 

Don't knock it till you've tried it. I finally finished building my dream setup - split powder surfer. I've modified it so I can ride any conditions (including hardpack) without bindings. What are the advantages? Well, for starters I have zero foot pain. Also, not being strapped in I have the mobility of a skier at all times, with the joy of surfing powder instead of skiing it. As a photographer, having immediate foot mobility has made me quicker at my job, and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

By the way, we aren't reverting technology, it's just that technology has stepped it up so we no longer need bindings to ride big lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:51 am 

di0nysus wrote:
I guess just like how Neon is "cool" again.

If you're going to reinvent something, try and make it better.

Snuffer->binding->split -> back to snuffer/noboard??

I see this noboard thing like those short big foot skis or maybe mono boards :banghead: . Something that reverts in technology is never going to last.

Turns have a different feel when you don't have straps to torque against. You don't need to have the gnarliest terrain to challenge yourself when the board is unattached. A good option for low angle terrain when stability is poor. Different stoke for different folks. Have you tried it? You might dig it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 pm 

Dionsyus -I think it is something that would be fun to try- and I also think wake surfing is super fun. It might be cause I've only tried that and wake boarding once, both were fun, but I really enjoyed wake surfing a lot.

Like Tom Burt says, there is no point to snowboarding, it is all about having fun.

I don't think I would like noboarding on hardpack or groomers, but in deep snow, I think it would probably be really fun. Its worth trying almost anything once right? And if it isn't your thing, no one is forcing you to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 pm 

Hey SpeedyManiac,

Are you able to post pics or details of your mods? I live in Australia and we don't get as many pow days as the erst of the world but i'm thinking of making a noboard this year for a giggle.

I've been wondering how it will ride in hardpack and variable conditions. Spring riding may be a good option over here.

Also is anyone else reading this able to give me info on noboarding in variable conditions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:50 pm 

powdersurfs or noboards are for powder only or at least 4" of something substantial. you have to straight line it if its hardpack. bideck powderskates can go both ways, groomers or powder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am 

I ride hardpack on a noboard (own design). I actually ride a noboard everyday for work (I'm a photographer at a cat skiing operation).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:22 pm 

dude if you can carve a noboard on groomers without a handstrap that are at least 20 degree slope then you are the king!!