Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Khyber Versus Spearhead
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm 

Greetings Splitboarders!

I am looking to get my first split. I've been borrowing and renting and now is time to get my own. I live and ride in CO and I like to ride all over the mountain, but as of lately it's been mostly trees and lower angle terrain cause the snowpack sucks. Oh, and about me...5'9" ~135lbs with no pack.

My BIG question...Which board is better for my style, 160Khyber or 161Spearhead? I bought a solid K2 Turbodream 159 that has Hybrid Rocker most similar to the Khyber, but that's my first rockered board. I love it! The spearhead is a bit different as it only has a rockered nose. The local shop guy tells me he likes the spearhead better than the Khyber, says he even rides it inbounds. Says the Spearhead turns quicker and rides better.

Anybody else have some input to the differences between these two? I'm really looking for a good quick turning board as fast turns in the trees are my nemesis. I still want to be able to take open bowls at speed and feel stable.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Prior Khyber Versus Spearhead
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 pm 

Strongly consider the Prior AMF Split in addition to the Khyber and Spearhead.

Both the Khyber and the Spearhead run wide if you are have feet under size 10 you will probably be happier with the AMF which is closer to 25 cm wide (both up/down).

The Spearhead is incredible in softer conditions but gives up a lot on firm snow. Khyber is a better all around. The AMF is the overall prior split I have ridden/owned. Additionally it would be the most similar design to your K2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 am 

There were lots of questions on this comparo 2-3 season ago when the spearhead was released. You can search for more info on old threads. I got to ride both of them back then, and I seem to remember that neither is really a good quiver of one for all conditions. The equivalent length khyber to spearhead would be more like 160 to 166, not 160 to 161. The khyber has much more effective edge, and gets its powder float from the taper, whereas the spearhead uses it's long soft nose for float. If you want to hit tight trees (east coast), the khyber is king. if you want to mach open powder bowls, the spearhead can't be beat. If you might be doing both, then a more middle-of-the-road board might be a better choice.

Shep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 am 

For what it's worth, I was looking at similar decision and got the AMF split - I love the board, I kind of want to get an AMF non-split now for inbounds and until then I might be riding my split inbounds on good days and glaring at people in the lift lines

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 am 

Shep wrote:
There were lots of questions on this comparo 2-3 season ago when the spearhead was released. You can search for more info on old threads. I got to ride both of them back then, and I seem to remember that neither is really a good quiver of one for all conditions. The equivalent length khyber to spearhead would be more like 160 to 166, not 160 to 161. The khyber has much more effective edge, and gets its powder float from the taper, whereas the spearhead uses it's long soft nose for float. If you want to hit tight trees (east coast), the khyber is king. if you want to mach open powder bowls, the spearhead can't be beat. If you might be doing both, then a more middle-of-the-road board might be a better choice.

Shep

Pretty much agree with this. Although my 166 SH measures 19mm of taper instead of the 14mm in the specs. I learned to take the SH through tight trees easily, but a 160 Khyber would definitely be quicker turning than the 166 SH.

It is amazing how the rockered boards have made this discussion somewhat moot. I have had both the 160 cambered Khyber and the 166 SH solid boards. My powder split is a 166 SH and while it is good enough not to bother switching yet, I would absolutely buy a rockered split today.

I still have a solid 166 SH for inbounds, but I am primarily riding a 168 rockered K2 Gyrator and 172 rockered Rad Air Tanker.

I prefer the rockered board's smooth, carving powder turn and more centered riding position to those of the cambered, tapered shapes. The zero taper, rockered 168 Gyrator will go through the trees and float as well as a cambered, tapered shape or the SH. If I was primarily riding tight trees though, I would seriously consider the rockered Khyber.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm 

I've never ridden a spearhead but I have a khyber (not the rockered version tho). It is an amazing board - floats like a dream and turns on a dime. It is unreal for tree riding for making quick turns. It likes to turn sharp - so when you get on big open steep slopes and you are shredding, it's not the best choice. It can deal with crud and other crap snow conditions, but honestly why would you buy a splitboard for riding on shit? I don't plan on touring for crap snow too often and I don't know why anybody would!

The AMF look cool, my buddy has one and loves it. But I don't think it is as good of a powder board than the khyber, but it would be much better if you want a twin board.

Call prior - they know their stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 am 

Trees? Low angle? 135lbs? I've said it before, but among my crew the Khyber is almost the standard. That float will help on low angle stuff, and the pinner shape turns on a dime. I've always loved pinners so I may be biased, but i can set my park stance on the khyber, ride with my weight forward, and never dive.

Based on my very limited experience and the raving of two people i ride with this years the Khyber 156 is very good. It might not look like much of a rocker but it really works well. You coudl definitely get away with the shorter board. The swing weight is signifigantly less than last year's 160, and there is still some camber underfoot in tour mode so no appreciable loss in bite.