Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Never Summer worth $500 over Mojo?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 pm 

Did you talk to Bentley about it? He's the one making the boards. You can message him on the forum. I could see where they are only trying to do the Summit, but maybe if you send a hooker or something to the shop he'd change his mind...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 am 

Just looking at the price of a Never Summer Summit split and solid. 599 for solid and 1299 for split?

$700 difference. Doesn't that seem a bit much. I know I don't see everything that NS has to include in there price, but for $1300 you could buy the Summit pay for someone else (www.customsplitboards.com for example) to split it and have almost the same exact product for a max $1065. With some extra shipping costs.

That would save you 234. Which could then buy you a pair of Sparks baseplates.

Also would you rather have a summit with your old bindings and a baseplate or a mojo with a set of Sparks?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:46 pm 

markeed wrote:
Killclimbz wrote:
Zee, whatcha doing slumming over here?

The Summit is an awesome board. I would know. This years with the rocker nose should make it even more fun. The thing is, I am pretty sure the blaho's will still split any board in their line up. So don't get stuck on the Summit. If you wanted the Premier or SLR R, you can probably get it done. It might cost you more (like $100 I am guessing) but if it's the board you want you should go for it.

After reading your post I've been back and forth with NS about possibly hooking up a non-Summit split but looks they are only doing the Summit split this season. Too bad, was looking for the a Premier or SL-R with the RC. Maybe they'll offer another split next season.

I'm riding an SL-R as my all around board right now, and I gotta tell you, other than groomers (which I hate anyway) this board is amazing. Had it in bottomless powder at Kicking Horse over the weekend, through narrow couloirs, jumping off cornices and it didn't disappoint.

That all being said, because of the lack of taper and minimal setback, the back leg does burn when riding an SL-R in powder.

I'm still on the fence about the Mojo vs. Never Summer. The reverse camber is nice for float, but I can see where regular camber may be better for a split on those icy traverses.

Then there's the price...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:09 pm 

ghaniman wrote:
the moral of the story...hmmm....dont look at the price..get quality over quantity every time...and get what you want

I thought the moral was: resorts are filled with farkin punters and you should NEVER ride a split in bounds? :D

I'm just messin' I ride my splitty in bounds all the time, and this sort of behavior is no different than that dumb fat lady at Walmart who balances a cart at the top of a precariously crowned parking lot and then walks off while it rolls into a car 10 feet away.

You handled it way better than I might have. Come to think of it a whippet spike in his topsheet might make it even. :headbang:

Edit: Forgot to vote for the 500 cheaper mojo. I love mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 pm 

Voile is now selling the Mojos for $760 on their website. You could almost get two for the price of a never summer split so I think that makes the choice pretty easy. I have a new one on the way in a few days - I'm excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:35 pm 

these days I'm ridin' the mojo in the bc and a NS heritage in bounds. While the heritage is one hell of a fun board I'd never spend $500 extra bucks just to ride NS in the bc. In fact I often wish I had the mojo inbounds on steep and deep days. Don't spend the extra unless that sort of cash comes easily to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 am 

With the Mojo+LRS binding package supposedly available for $1095, it will be pretty tough to justify spending $1300+shipping+brokerage for a Never Summer. As much as I like Never Summer, that kind of extra dough is getting hard to justify.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm 

Just got my new Mojo(second one) and forgot how light these boards are. With sparks and hardware it weighs about the same as my Neversummer solid with bindings(titan 169). Also a notice a huge difference in weight between the 171 Mojo and the 170 Venture split I have(has to be at least a pound or two) which can be attributed to the cap construction. Given that these boards ride amazing, are plenty durable(rode my first Mojo for 3 seasons without any issues due to the cap design) and Voile takes great care of their customers the Mojo is definitely the way to go. By the way I'm not affiliated with them at all, just got my new board in the mail and am super stoked to ride it and tell people about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm 

+1 yes
worth all that and more.
but i realise that everyones different.
if your a bigger person, aggressive rider, shreddin lots, and got no time for shiz that breaks, theres no question how superior the ns product is. no, none. your mojo mite be durable but i would kill it in a week.
but...
if your small/light you mite find the weight savings of the voile to be crucial.
if your a pow surfer in big snow climates, stayin away from rocky features and/or not gettin many daze inna season you mite not need the solid reliability and longevity of the ns.

i think a big difference in the warrenties is that while they both cover manufacturers defects (ns has had by far the lowest rates of warrenty returns of all the brands carried by the boardroom/ho sports, vancouver), if you damage a blaho bros creation ya jus gotta get the shiz back to the master crafter to work his magic. busted to the core, chek!....... back from tha man, good az new! thanks Bentley, yer a wizard. :thumpsup:

im sure Burton knows way more than me but the way i work shit there wouldnt be no fixin no cap!!!

you will save money in the long run goin with the ns goods but i realise the up front costs are hard to swallow. here's some tips for savin up:
park your car. your friends have cars, dirtbag them.
birth contol. kids cost more than snowboards.
thrift stores gear swaps interweb used gear forums you brews grow yer own sneak in the back door and sell yer soul. works for me!!!