Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PSA: K2 T1 (and DB) boots with vibram soles (large pics)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
My T1s have developed a problem after about 45 days of BC use. These boots have an internal harness for a BOA system that tightens the boot liner. The internal BOA cable on the right boot has started cutting into my ankle and achilles when I lift my foot. Mostly while skinning, with the weight of the ski pulling the boot down. It's irritating after about a mile & and a world of exquisite pain after 9 miles. I think I may have to cut the BOA harness out of the boot if I'm gonna keep using it.

Interestingly, I've been recovering from an injury (right where my ankle/heel attach to my achilles) as well. Also from the T-1, I thought maybe it was just my feet that were jacked up (I've had some serious foot issues over the years including MRSA which frequently takes entire body parts with it when you get it!), and thought maybe this was another of my frequent foot problems....but your complaint seems to be exactly where my injury is...and I got it from SKINNING not riding. It's basically the same spot in my skinning gate that you describe, right at the finish/"kick" when I lift the ski off the ground.

Does this further describe your issue Storn?

I'm looking for some size 8 driver Xs if anyone has seen any deals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:05 pm 

Yeah - that's exactly it. Skinning on flats is worse than climbing for me too. It started happening during the 2nd day of the west coast split party. It's taken another 4 days of pain in the BC to finally narrow it down to the BOA harness. None of my field repairs have worked so far. But since I've added a sole to my boots I'm motivated to find a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Yeah - that's exactly it. Skinning on flats is worse than climbing for me too. It started happening during the 2nd day of the west coast split party. It's taken another 4 days of pain in the BC to finally narrow it down to the BOA harness. None of my field repairs have worked so far. But since I've added a sole to my boots I'm motivated to find a solution.

Classic, shityounot my issue started the 3rd day of the WC split party...good luck with your solution finding...I'm convinced I've got to downsize my boots before spending anymore time trying to fix what I've got.

Don't know your size, but I've got 2 pairs of those boots in a 27.5...if you just want to raid one pair for parts I'll take kharma dollars in exchange :-)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 pm 

Thanks for the offer, Jbay. I would take you up on it but...

:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: I SOLVED IT!!! :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

Part of the inner BOA harness around the liner velcros to the inside of the boot tongue. I noticed that this little piece had slipped down about 1 1/2 inches on my right foot, which was in constant pain, but not on the left which was fine. Well this weekend I moved it back up to its rightful position. Now the cable is routed properly and my agony is over. *Whew* I hope it works for you too, if you also have two pairs of these boots!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm 

So after a hell of a season with boots not working I just threw down for these. They seem totally awesome. The sole is stiffer than all other boots I've played with, and my strap-on crampons seem to fit pretty well. I like how they can be super stiff with the harness tight or softer with it loose.

What are people's experience with how this boot rides? Is it mostly geared for freeride stuff or is it versatile enough to be fun in the park and pipe?

I'll post a review once they've have some abuse!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm 

I have been riding a size 12 K2 T1 for at least 6 years (the first year they came out with them), although I am on my third pair. Overall, I like the stiffness for freeriding, don't do any park/pipe riding but I suspect that there are better options for that style of riding. The main reason I first started using the T1's is the fit and vibram sole. I have wide feet which take compatible (stiff/freeride) boots out of consideration for me. I have tried as I had hardware issues with the first two versions related to the BOA system. The folks at BOA are super cool and they sent me a little tool and replacement screws to fix the issue, but it kept reoccurring in the middle of touring or at the hill and became a nuisance. I have not had the issue with the third pair, of which I am on my third season riding with them and they are holding up very well. I did have an initial issue with Spark Iggy II's Bent Metal ankle straps hitting my pressure points and causing much pain which was quickly resolved through some adjustments and later swapping out the BM ankle strap with a C60 strap.

BTW: I have not experienced the issues SanFrantastico and jbaysurfer are reporting, but I am glad to be aware of it, especially since there is resolution :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 pm 

Its so rad to have discussion about boots! Boots are SOOO important....

So far I'm liking these boots but am having a hard time breaking them in. They are stiffer than I am used to, and I've only been able to put 5 days on them so far. For touring and climbing they are amazing, and in my Spark binders the stiffness is appreciated for BC use. Most of my complaints are happening inbounds... They are just way stiffer than I am used to for jibbing around. Hoping they break in and soften up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:49 am 

Got set up with some T1s on some Spark Fuses and I really don't think I would change or tweak on little thing. Super comfy, plenty stiff for splitting, warm liners, good lateral stiffness for edging in tour mode, and best of all they actually ride really well.

A word of advice: before I got the T1's I had boots that had a boa shell and lace-up liner. The T1's are the opposite, laces on the shell. I'd recommend loosening the laces up after riding on overnight tours. On my first multi-night tour with the T1's the laces (which had gotten wet in heavy PNW snow) froze solid by morning and it was a pain in the ass to get the liners back in.
I still prefer laces over Boa (at least on the shell) due to their reliability. Busting a boa 10 miles deep wouldn't be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:30 pm 

K2 needs to make the T1 DB in US 7.5 I think size 7s are too small for me