Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont rider wanted
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 pm 

Hey, waddya know. I have this Saturday off. Still a bit early season, I know, but if anybody wants to take a tour, or some runs inbounds, or whatever, shoot me a PM. I could even get up early to skin over the notch for a free ride at Smuggs or something (first 1/2 hour is free, right?)

Thanks,
Shep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:51 pm 

I would love to make it out there saturday but it's still early and i won't be in Jay before noon...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:41 pm 

Hey Guys,

I'm kinda new to splitting but have been backcountry snowboarding the ADKs for a couple of years now. I've recently joined the Schenectady Wintersports Club which give me a place to stay in Waterbury, VT ( I live in Schenectady NY). If you guys are getting together keep me informed. I'll probably be able to make it up.

Mark
mark_r_werner@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:28 am 

Im another Jay junkie. I would definately be down for a VT gathering. I can only ride on the weekends but I ride every weekend. My place is over in Derby about a half hour from Jay but I do have long trail ale on tap at my place if people would like to do some post-splitting chow and beer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm 

mysticfalcon wrote:
.....but I do have long trail ale on tap at my place if people would like to do some post-splitting chow and beer.

nice setup. I like the way you guys think. :D

I'd be pretty stoked for a future split gathering if that ever could get organized proper.

I'm riding Stowe tomorrow afternoon (I need to work in the am) hopefully once the wind dies down a bit. Since the inbounds runs are fairly scoured, I'm planning on doing a couple of split laps in the notch and find out where all the wind blew the powder to ;). If anyone else is around I ride a Prior Kyber, wear green Northface and green helmet. say ola.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 am 

Yeah I bought myself a kegerator for christmas. I buy myself the nicest presents.
I got 5 more inches since I went to bed so things around here keep getting better. I'll be on resort all day today because my GF is really working on improving her skills in the trees because she definately needs to get better before I want to bring her out on her splitty. (which coincidently I havent taken the time to start cutting in half yet)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm 

Greetings - I live at Bolton Valley and would be down with meeting other split riders in VT. I'm new to splitting but I have been riding for 15+ years and have backcountry experience. Bolton isn't very big but some good stashes and long creek runs all over the place. Would be down for hitting up Jay some weekend as well. Send me an email or PM. matt(at)hubeck.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 pm 

Welcome, Matt.

There's some really good lines from Bolton down the other side that end up at the Trapp Family lodge more or less... ever explore those?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 pm 

earthsurfer -

Most of my winter exploring has been south of BV resort on snowshoes. I have shoe'd the Woodward Trail down to Little River state park - stopping to yo-yo a few sessions, hiked around the vast trail near the Timberline lot and rode the frozen creeks in that area. I have hiked up to Bryant cabin and along to the LT, south to Buchanan shelter and back down the CC trails to the resort. The summit of Bolton Mountain is about as far north as I have been.

One trip I would like to attempt is to go up to the LT from BV Resort lot via Bryant / Raven's Wind and go north on the LT all day , ending up on the summit of Mansfield. Lots of options since there are a number of shelters on the way. Could be a 2+ day trip depending on the lines that were found on the way.

Anyways, I have had my eye on splitting for awhile but could never afford the equip, it is a pretty big investment. I was fortunate to win a photography/design contest sponsored by Burton Snowboards and the prize was any Burton snowboard. I chose the s-series and Burton was cool about it and threw in the Voile interface and Tractor skins. I have skied for years so I don't think skinning will be an issue and am in decent shape. This Sat will be my first ascent ever on a split - the plan is to do the Teardrop early Sat with a couple friends that will be on touring/tele ski set-ups.

Anything you can tell me about lines that are accessible from the Catamount / Trapp trail would be appreciated. I know there is some sessionable terrain up there - just need to get the time to explore it.

Anyway - my house makes for a good launching pad for any Bolton backcountry excursions. I am looking forward to shedding the snowshoes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:08 pm 

matt_vt wrote:
I was fortunate to win a photography/design contest sponsored by Burton Snowboards and the prize was any Burton snowboard. I chose the s-series and Burton was cool about it and threw in the Voile interface and Tractor skins. I have skied for years so I don't think skinning will be an issue and am in decent shape.

Anything you can tell me about lines that are accessible from the Catamount / Trapp trail would be appreciated. I know there is some sessionable terrain up there - just need to get the time to explore it.

Amazing luck...or should I say talent? Fkna that Burton stepped up to the plate and hooked you up full-on.

I try to make it out along the Catamount Trail a bunch, there's a lot of good stuff to be had out there. I won't really be able to this winter until mid-February, but when the time comes, I'll be in touch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 am 

So last night I skinned to the top of Timberline and tried some pretty steep sections where they have been making snow. Some icy whalebacks caused me to fall a couple of times. I probably looked pretty sad. I used muscles skinning that I didn't know I had. I am going to head up the catamount trail this weekend on Sat morning early and check some of that out. I don't really like the high-rise binding feeling on the descent. I can see how Sparks Fuse binders will be in my future once I improve to appreciate them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 am 

matt_vt wrote:
So last night I skinned to the top of Timberline and tried some pretty steep sections where they have been making snow. Some icy whalebacks caused me to fall a couple of times. I probably looked pretty sad. I used muscles skinning that I didn't know I had. I am going to head up the catamount trail this weekend on Sat morning early and check some of that out. I don't really like the high-rise binding feeling on the descent. I can see how Sparks Fuse binders will be in my future once I improve to appreciate them.

Congrats on the first splitty outting! You'll discover muscles you never knew you had! And the cycle repeats itself every new snow season!

And by the way, once you go to Sparks, you'll toss the plates away and never look back! It has the be the best investment i made for snowboarding in a while!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 am 

BigJay wrote:
And by the way, once you go to Sparks, you'll toss the plates away and never look back! It has the be the best investment i made for snowboarding in a while!

Hey BigJay, did you find it a significantly lighter setup? Or were they just more responsive than the plates. I'm running Burton Mission bindings now and I am thinking of pulling the ripcord on the new Sparks.

On another note, I'm probably heading up this weekend, possibly into next week if conditions warrant a split tour somewhere. Unf, it doesn't *look* like there's been a dumo iof snow for a while, but I've only been have checking weather the past 2 weeks. How's snow in the notch, camels hump, etc. holding up? Any beta appreciated.