Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salomon Malamute Review
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:20 pm 

I have worn Burton Boots for the last 10 seasons. It has been a Love/Hate relationship as the boots ride super, but they leak/sweat so bad that multiday trips and winter overnighters can be a nightmare.
After wearing the DriverX's for the last 3 seasons the kick steeping and the strap crampons had taken there toll and TEX needed a new pair of Boots.

I saw that Backcountry.com had them and the driverX at the same price. 199 a pair. I had heard a lot of great things about the malamutes and really wanted to try a set........................................................BUT I had also heard that the Saloman Sizes were a bit "funky" as far as trying to figure out what size you need. I voiced my concerns over the phone to the Backcountry sales person and they assured me that if they didnt fit I could return them for a full refund.

I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Mutes.

When they arrived I was a bit taken back by how small the total boot was. It seemed about 10% smallerover all than the driver X.
Great, wrong size I though. Looked on the box and the boot, 11.5's just as I ordered. Looked small but I kept the faith and slipped in the foot.

Over and Over in my head I thought

"If THe Glove doesnt fit....you must aquit"

But I wasnt on trial for a crime and this was boots and not gloves.
I noticed a lot of Faux Fur Inside. I liked the feel. Even though it was June and I live in the desert....the faux Fur mad my feet feel like they were on a vacation. The boots fit differently than the Burton. Tighter in all the right spot without any "hot spots".

I figured as small as these things looked I was sure there would be some hot spots or blistering but I would have to wait untill I wore them in the BC.

I did like the fact that the Mutes fit into the Spark bindings much better. My driverX's are so wide the wall of the sprak baseplate digs in. Not on the Mutes,they looked like they were custom made for the sparks.
Same with my Black Diamond strap crampons. Burtons barely fit, Mutes worked much better,

Thats really cool ..but what about hiking. skinning , wetness ect?
I got my chance to try them out on the 4th of July on a wet attemp of Mount Adams.
I carried ina full load, tent bag tripod yada yada.

At the start of the trail I was again dreaming about the Faux fur liner and even thought it wasnt cold...my feet felt GOOOOOOD.

The ride was great. Stiff enough to really carve a fat edge but no blisters up high while skinning and no need to loosen the laces for comfort.

And after two days of camping skinning and riding....Including a rainstorm on summit day ( no we didnt summit....but that mountain is still there) .

When I got back to the car.....dry feet!!!!!!! something I havent had for a while in the BC

Overall I give these boots two thumbs up and a Zorro snap ! :thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Salomon Malamute Review
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:41 pm 

I am using mutes for 3 seasons now.
If you can find a store nearby that could thermo-fit them to your legs do it, you will be stoked!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:57 pm 

I likey them too. They rock. :rock: Just be careful not to poke a stick through them or your feet will get wet. :poke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 pm 

YOU POKIN Fun at ME??? :poke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:03 pm 

I just picked up a pair of new Malamutes. I've been really excited to try them out. I tried them on multiple times at shops, wore them around and they were comfy. Unfortunately, after riding in them for a day, I couldn't wait to get back to the car and take them off. Just to make sure, I played with them some, made some adjustments on my bindings, and gave them another shot. After 2 or 3 runs (resort riding) I was back at the car changing into my old boots.

First, the pain: I believe it's the navicular bone, or it's the first joint on my big toe just below, that's getting a major pressure point. First day of riding, it was only on my rear foot, second time out, it was both feet. I've also had a sharp pressure point just to the inside of my shin, predominantly on my rear leg.

I opted not to get them molded to my feet, thinking let me mold through wear. With what's happening now, there's no way I'll be able to ride and break them in. Has anybody had any experience with pressure point, molding them, then getting that magical fit?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm 

My feelings towards the Malamutes are pretty much the same stated in your review, Tex. Sweeet, stiff boots. After getting used to riding with Malamutes for about 10-15 days, I had to go back to the F22s for a skin/ride yesterday, since I hadn´t adjusted the Ignitions properly for the new boots yet. The response was "a tad" lacking, making for some interesting moments in which I thought the board was going to turn with so and so much force, but didn´t. An extra amount of force was needed, and it was a pain in the ass.

Now, that being said, I loved, and still love the F22s, but the Malamutes are just that much better. Given the weird Saly sizing, I was able to get into a 28 Malamute, when I had to get a 29 F22. Shell size (exterior) of these two boots is the same, boot sole length is the same, it´s just that they´re that much stiffer, warmer, and you can remove the liner for drying. SICK boots!!
:rock: :rock:

Btw: I haven´t molded these boots yet, and don´t think I will either.
For the previous poster, though, that´s an option worth to try.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 pm 

I rode Mallimutes for 35 days in 2006, and depite my passionate drive to be riding "the sickest and stiffest", my feet f$&%*<£ hurt SOOOOOOOOO bad. Constantly lost circulation, and had more pressure points than I can remember. Almost gave up snowboarding because of those boots!

At the end of the year I gave them to my best buddy, and he is IN LOVE with them. "Most comfortable bootay EVER" he says. I guess everybody's foot is different.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm 

1 1/2 seasons on my malamutes and they're awesome. No issues w/ pain or blisters ever. I have a D width foot fwiw. Gonna get another pair at end of year. Was debating about getting the Driver X's instead but went and tried some on and just laughed at the overcomplicated/delicate lacing system. Driver's seem like comfy boots but no way I'd deal w/ that lacing system way out in the bc. Burton seems to over think things. Simple is better. Malamutes rock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm 

Good to know! There should be some mad sales on everything after this crappy season so I'll be looking for a pair to replace my 04 Drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 am 

...anyone else have some feedback on 2010 'mute sizing? I have an old pair of F24's that are 9.5 (27.5) and packed-out, and they fit but my toes get numb and frozen. I measure my feet and they are 27, and I can wear 9-10 street shoes and snowboard boots. I seem to be able to get into smaller Salomon sizes.

I know the best would be to go try some on but my local shops suck monkey sack :x and put away all the winter gear sometime in February so I don't expect to find a pair to try before I buy them online somewhere (which also seems short on supply right now).

In the worst case I will just wait. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 am 

My 07 and 09 Malamutes run pretty damn true to size. The thing that's weird is the difference in the volume of the boots. The 09s are so huge that I can't get the cap strap, which are extended as far as they can go, over the toe. It's bullshit cause no matter what I gotta spend some money.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:08 pm 

So my lovely wife surprised me with some Mute's this year for Christmas. Today I got to ride them for the first time.

My initial response after lacing up in the parking lot was utter shock I could feel how light and stiff they were immediately. Compared to my old Burton Rulers it was like night and day. Comfy, a large toe box for wiggle room, and the ankle strap to hold the liner and heel in place was great. Before, I even strapped in I felt like it would be a more precise ride.

On my first run it blew my mind how the responsiveness of my board quadrupled. On my first few turns I found myself over compensating each transition from toe to heel edge. My old Rulers are so squishy now that it requires a lot of extra energy to transition.

I decided to tweak my stance a bit. I had been riding a 24" stance 23° front 0° back. But after changing the stance twice I'm now at 30° Front 3° Back and the 23" width. I don't think I'm quite done dialing it in yet though.

Over all they felt really good. I have 1 complaint. I noticed a fairly large reduction in Forward Flex. It seems due to the stiffness of the boots, there isn't a ton of ankle articulation. It could be that I've been riding soft soft boots for so long that I don't remember what it's like to ride real snowboarding boots. It seemed like dropping the knees forward was the most effective way to transition to the toe edge, thus requiring a more aggressive (Crouched) stance most of the time. Except on groomers. <---Is this normal or is this because they aren't broken in yet.

The reason I ask is because of the lack of forward lean, and after riding steep slopes with some moguls for half a day, I started noticing some shin bang primarily on my rear leg. Its at the point where the top of the liner cuff contacts my shin bone. Does anyone have any recommendations to remedy this?

How do I prevent shin bang? Will heat molding them help? Has anyone experienced this before on these or similar boots? I really want to get these modded or whatever because a season with shin bang is a terrible thing. It takes forever to heal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
So my lovely wife surprised me with some Mute's this year for Christmas. Today I got to ride them for the first time.

My initial response after lacing up in the parking lot was utter shock I could feel how light and stiff they were immediately. Compared to my old Burton Rulers it was like night and day. Comfy, a large toe box for wiggle room, and the ankle strap to hold the liner and heel in place was great. Before, I even strapped in I felt like it would be a more precise ride.

On my first run it blew my mind how the responsiveness of my board quadrupled. On my first few turns I found myself over compensating each transition from toe to heel edge. My old Rulers are so squishy now that it requires a lot of extra energy to transition.

I decided to tweak my stance a bit. I had been riding a 24" stance 23° front 0° back. But after changing the stance twice I'm now at 30° Front 3° Back and the 23" width. I don't think I'm quite done dialing it in yet though.

Over all they felt really good. I have 1 complaint. I noticed a fairly large reduction in Forward Flex. It seems due to the stiffness of the boots, there isn't a ton of ankle articulation. It could be that I've been riding soft soft boots for so long that I don't remember what it's like to ride real snowboarding boots. It seemed like dropping the knees forward was the most effective way to transition to the toe edge, thus requiring a more aggressive (Crouched) stance most of the time. Except on groomers. <---Is this normal or is this because they aren't broken in yet.

The reason I ask is because of the lack of forward lean, and after riding steep slopes with some moguls for half a day, I started noticing some shin bang primarily on my rear leg. Its at the point where the top of the liner cuff contacts my shin bone. Does anyone have any recommendations to remedy this?

How do I prevent shin bang? Will heat molding them help? Has anyone experienced this before on these or similar boots? I really want to get these modded or whatever because a season with shin bang is a terrible thing. It takes forever to heal.

The lack of forward flex is precisely why I haven't given the Mutes another try (they are WAY more comfortable than they were in 04-05).

I'm pretty stoked on my K2 T1's, but when they are new they are WAY too stiff... They take at least a week of riding to start feeling the way I want. I would for sure heat mold your Salomons if you can; I think that it also helps to "settle" the liner into the shape of the inside of the boot shell, and thus helps with the break in process.

Now if only Salomon would put a crampon-worthy sole on the Mutes, they would indeed be the ultimate boot!