Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazies Cabin weekend
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 am 

Had a local crew all put together for Jan 14th - 17th into this cabin
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Bennett_Creek_Cabin_Mt/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=93120&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

For various reasons the crew has fallen by the wayside so I'm looking for some to go along. Its a good sized bile ride in from the Bozeman side or Martinsdale side. You could skin it but that would limit how much beer could be hauled in. Once there its skin-from-the-cabin terrain. Here's a couple of pics from last year

The perspective looking up from the cabin area

Some pics from March last year

Also - if anyone interested would like to explore some good looking kite terrain the lower foreground in the last pic looks pretty damn fine

3-5 commitments & we're full.

Post subject: Re: Crazies Cabin weekend
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm 

How much? Do you have a sled? And....... i guess that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 pm 

I have a bile - well 2 - but will be going in from the Martinsdale side. We can shuttle & tow if people want to meet there on the 14th.

If there's 4 or 5 cost will be like $20-$25 for the weekend + beer + food

Also - she goes with me in the backcountry everywhere - so - no dog haters.
she likes Virginia Peak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:54 pm 

I'll go but... I live in big sky. I can drive but no snomobile. New to splitboarding done basic avalanche courses but not a confident decision maker in avy terrain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:52 am 

I can help tow as i have a truck. im coming from bozeman. Im not bringing my dog but i am a dog lover! so no prob there. never taken an avy course. i have lived here my whole life and am out often. I think we should talk more to figure the group dynamics, if you will. ya know? make sure were all on the same page!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:55 am 

If we're shuttling(~8 mile bile rides) anyone that wants to go should try to meet in Martinsdale @1:00 on the 14th. Once we get to the cabin we can skin from there to the goods. I have 1 tow behind gear-sled so we can haul much stuff each trip. If anyone has a sled, large toboggan, of some sort we could use as a 2nd gear hauler that would be good.

Just to emphasize a couple of things
Cabin is warmed by a wood stove but they typically get chilly by morning....nice to have a decent sleeping bag with you.
No water there - snow but then you need plenty of propane.
They don't want white gas in the cabin but propane cookers are fine.
Bring lots of beers - I'm old & thirsty
You don't have to have avy knowledge other than how to use your beacon, probe & shovel. But then you're trusting me :roll: If we need to we can do some search practice around the cabin - get familiar with how each others reactions, etc are.
If avy conditions are too sketchy in the better terrain then there's a good amount of safer terrain nearby. Avy reports & snow conditions should be fairly close to the N. Bridgers although we'll definitely need to make our own assessments.
Usually the cooking utensils etc in these cabins are pretty sketchy - best to bring your own.
Don't forget toilet paper - unless you prefer snow.
Pretty much gear up for an outdoor camping trip except weight isn't an issue - so plenty of beers is fine.

Kiting the big-assed meadow in the 4th pic is also a big objective of mine. Wind dependent obviously but I'll be hitting that at some point during the trip if conditions allow. If you don't know anything about kiting & want to learn you're welcome to follow & see what its about. Or if you have kite gear - so much the better.

My contacts are:
Dave
350-2502 days - cell
538-6968 - home (evenings)- cell doesn't work at my house.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:43 pm 

BOZEMANGNAR (aka Bozemannative), I see you've suddenly decided to be a bro now, huh? Big change from the jerk that you were last winter.

EDIT: I've removed the rest of this post at the request of LewMT as my purpose in posting wasn't to spoil his get-together in the Crazies, but rather to point out what a dickhole Bozemanative was to me and to others here on splitboard.com.

Bozemanative seems to have changed attitudes (and username) on sharing the terrain around Bozeman with others who haven't lived here forever but we'll just have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

I'm defiently down! It would be sweet to carpool with someone. Let me know and i can take work off.

I do want to make sure that everyone is solid in the rescue department and if we need to stick to low angle terrain that's cool. I'm more in for the experience and time in the that range then trying to slay big lines.

Lewmt contact me 6125583079 if you think things would work out for that trip.
joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:48 pm 

yep i used to be a total deush bag all i can say is sorry.im moving on though. anyway, I have an EMT class on that thurs untill 10:30 in bozeman sooo not sure thats gonna work....which blows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm 

UGGGHHH :cry: Its looking bleak for this weekend. Between avy dangers & messed up approaches it doesn't look good. Lower elevations are baring off rapidly where the terrain faces south & west which will make the bile access into the cabin a freakin mess. Too deep in spots for a 4 wheeler & too intermittent with snow cover for a bile approach.

You picks your dates you takes your chances - this just ain't looking pretty.

Thanks for the responses but I think we better call a bail on this whole trip. I'll try again before winter's out but at this point I'm gonna watch for snowpack improvement before I get excited.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 pm 

Sorry to hear this, Lew, but things are certainly ugly 'round here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:56 am 

starting to shape up now though!