Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm vs. Euphoria vs. Khyber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 am 

First off, the only reason i'm putting the Khyber in there is because i've been meaning to get one for years... now with rockered shape, the board is still in the running.

Venture is on the list as well... but i'm unsure about which board to get...

Storm: Great shape similar to my FISH... but 10mm tapered only.
Euphoria: Lot's of taper... rocker starts off right at the front binding... might be too much?

Now, if you would need to negotiate tight trees and hard traverses through the woods, which board would be best? The euphoria seemed better with a tapered shape and all... but i'm curious about the rocker and skinning effectivness... The Storm is aimed at "bowls and high speeds" which we have very little of over on the east coast... But the nose shape is intringuing... again, i love the way a FISH handles in the woods...

Thanks for the feedback...

Post subject: Re: Storm vs. Euphoria vs. Khyber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 pm 

I'd go w/ the khyber. The only reason I say this is it's a solid tough as nails board I've ridden. Euphoria, and Storm are definitely meant for deep days, or hard charging steepness. The only drawback about the Venture is cost(and this drawback is IMO). To fully outfit yourself is going to cost a couple hundred more, but your supporting a great company w/ great roots values. I personally would like to see Venture stock fully loaded boards/kits that you can buy from them like Prior does.

I'd actually love to have an older Storm(no pointy nose) split, but that would take forever and a day, and be spendy as hell. :cry:

Maybe next time I'm in Silverton.. I'll get Klem loaded :guinness: at the rum bar, and Jedi mind trick him into giving me a board. :doobie:

I wish

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm 

The Storm R is a dream in the trees and pow. That's where I think it's at its best. It effortlessly pivots and gets right up on top of the pow. The Prior and Euphoria will be even more targeted to those uses, though with less stability at speed. The Storm R is the most versatile of those three boards. It up-tracks just fine--they all will.

I should say that the Storm R is a good, but not great, big mountain board. Cambered it might be great, but the rocker noticeably sacrifices critical nose and tail stability needed for big turns at speed--even on the 182/27, which is what I ride. I'm going to write a review about this soon--the downside of rocker.

In my opinion Venture construction is better than Prior's, but they're both excellent. And Venture's roots enviro ethic--material sourcing, wind power driven, POW and 1%--is worth every penny of the additional cost in my book. Fact is the world and the future of snowy mountains needs a lot more companies like them.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 pm 

I live in Colorado, but I have ridden the minigolf style terrain around Stowe, and assume the Jay area is more of the same: tight trees, bushes, rock outcrops, frozen waterfalls. If I lived in VT I would get a highly tapered board with rocker, like the Euphoria or Khyber. In CO I ride the more big mountain shapes: like the Prior Backcountry and Storm R.
VT riding is all about short shots, and quick turning in technical terrain, a shorter board with a lot of taper will really excel in those conditions. My favorite would be the Euphoria in a medium length for VT backcountry, the Venture boards are really high quality and worth a few extra dollars to me.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:22 am 

barrows wrote:
If I lived in VT I would get a highly tapered board with rocker, like the Euphoria or Khyber.

Sounds good to me...

barrows wrote:
VT riding is all about short shots, and quick turning in technical terrain, a shorter board with a lot of taper will really excel in those conditions. My favorite would be the Euphoria in a medium length for VT backcountry, the Venture boards are really high quality and worth a few extra dollars to me.

Yeah, VT is about turning and not straight lining through bowls... :wink:

Back to topic... yeah, i figure the storm would be stiffer and not as suited to tight trees and technical terrain as the Euphoria...

As for snow and terrain, this is what i'm used to:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 pm 

Where did you take that bottom shot? It sure does look inviting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:02 am 

mysticfalcon wrote:
Where did you take that bottom shot? It sure does look inviting.

Northern Vermont... of course!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 am 

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really hoping for a vague answer like that. I had no desire to actually ride that spot. :wink:

We all have our secret stashes.