Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuse performance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:46 pm 

I figured I'd start this thread to report on my own (positive) experiences with the new Fuse bindings, and also to compile others for informational purposes. I've also got to thank Cam at Attridge snowboards, who has been selling the bindings as fast as he receives them and hasn't been able to snag a pair for himself yet! (I got mine on the bus 2 days after he got them in stock)

The first thing I noticed with the fuse was their weight, as already mentioned. They're much lighter than my old (drake) bindings, and much lower to the board. But two points I really like are:

1. the wide toe piece attaches to the outside of the touring brackets when in touring mode (rather than the inside with the voile metal plates). I was skinning up an icy slope in the Cdn rockies the other day, and felt like I was really able to dig an edge in with them.

2. transition time is decreased due to the pin placement, as you don't have to bother flipping a cotter pin out. Mine often was buried in snow or stuck under the binding. It's not much time saved, but if you're riding with skiers every bit counts.

The only issues I had so far:
- stiff / sticky pins and bindings. Waxing the metal plates helped them slide, and the pins have loosened considerably with only a few days out (in terms of them not getting stuck)

I noticed the other post about the frayed cord, I haven't seen this yet but I have wondered if it'd be a problem. I've also added a quick-release system with some lock wire / plastic tubing after checking out Voile's new bindings, and am testing that for the first time tomorrow. Might work and be nice in case of emergencies, but we'll see....

happy riding all!

Post subject: Re: Fuse performance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 pm 

Performance was well on my one and only day out so far with these bindings. Two things I noticed when I got home:

1. the washer on my ankle strap, sitting between the ladder and plate cracked and broke in half (now replaced by a spare metal washer i found)

2. noticed significant dents/wearing in my boots which have already scuffed off some of the leather. on both sides of each boot, there are 2 separate spots where the ends of the highback dig into the sides of the boot. the plastic seems soft enough to the touch.. i don't think its a matter of a sharp edge, but it looks as though the ends of the highback curve inward slightly, creating a pinched contact point on the boot. unfortunately, i don't have highbacks that are compatible to switch out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm 

Out twice with the Fuse. No problems yet. The Pins slide in better each outing. The one thing I really noticed that I didn't think about at all before was the flat base. Its flat and smooth. There is nothing for snow to get caught in and build up so you have to dig out hard packed snow or ice.

Does anyone know if they work with Voile Crampons or do you have to get Mr. Comps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:17 pm 

stevenroymallory wrote:
Does anyone know if they work with Voile Crampons or do you have to get Mr. Comps?

i am pretty sure you have to go with mr chomps...which is annoying b/c they are out of them right now. but the mr. chomps look so much easier than the voile anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm 

I just got a pair of size large fuse bindings last week which I am running on a 171 mojo. After 5 days of riding on them, two in the slack country and three back country, I think I'm ready to share my opinion. Out of the box these babies look sexy and I was really excited by the snug fit over the pucks in ride mode. I'm rocking size twelve Driver Xs so I had to do a fair bit of adjustment to get the bindings to fit. One of the threaded holes in the base plate for mounting the heel cup had messed up threads in it and wouldn't receive the screw. I had to tap it out to fix the thread, took about five minutes, and the heel cup mounted smoothly. Once I got out riding on the board I immediately loved how solid the set up felt. There is certainly no comparison between the slider plate and the Fuse. The Fuse gives riding that solid board feel.

On the ascent I have a very limited range of motion on the touring bracket. Even with the heel cup pushed all the way back I get the toes of my boots bumping up against the board on every step. I have no doubt that this sort of repeated pressure over a season period will lead to some sort of equipment failure. Either damaged touring bracket or something on the binding. On steep kick turns the limited range of rotation means my toes kick the board back down immediately making the turn a pain in the ass. I definitely didn't have this problem last week with my old set up. So far I haven't come up with any solutions to the problem.

Today was a wicked day touring with knee deep turns most of the day. The day finished up with a banked slalom race through an alder filled gully and I found myself stoked again at how responsive my board feels with the new bindings. Then back at the truck I noticed a busted 'lean cube' on my highback. WTF? I don't even run any signifigant forward lean. Another day on that cube and it will break right off. So while I dig the Fuse I feel like there have been a few little things adding up to dampen my mood.

Considering what it costs to purchase these bindings here in canada I'm pretty bummed that I've got shell out more money on replacement parts already, even if it is only a few bucks. Once the cube breaks off I'll have to jury rig something or put the new binding back in the box and go back to my slider plates until replacement part come in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am 

Just thought I'd update yesterday's thoughts. I received an email from Will this morning saying he's put replacement cubes in the mail. It seems the rumors about Spark's excellent customer service are true. Of course I realize the cube is not a spark product but simply a part sourced from Bent Metal.

Thanks Will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am 

Thanks for adding the review to the site!

The obvious solution in your situation is to get smaller feet. ;)

Just playing. Maybe try adding a small shim under the touring bracket to elevate it a little and give yourself more clearance?

Re the cube, I'm down one so far too. Spark is sending more but it will be interesting to see if its isolated or more widespread. Seems like the cube could be reproduced pretty easily out of a more durable material.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 pm 

Don't know if either of you guys have tried this, but I tour with the forward lean on the minimum setting and crank it up after I switch to ride mode. I'm thinking that may reduce strain on the cube.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:05 pm 

aaughh, well I wish you had suggested adding a shim under the touring bracket before I went ahead and cut my toes off. I was willing to sacrifice my foot modeling career for split-boarding, but now I see it was all for naught.

yeah, I was wondering about a shim 'cuz the toe overhang is the same on the sparks as on my plate set up, the only difference seemed that the plate was higher off the board.

Off to the laboratory.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 am 

Quote:
On the ascent I have a very limited range of motion on the touring bracket. Even with the heel cup pushed all the way back I get the toes of my boots bumping up against the board on every step. I have no doubt that this sort of repeated pressure over a season period will lead to some sort of equipment failure. Either damaged touring bracket or something on the binding. On steep kick turns the limited range of rotation means my toes kick the board back down immediately making the turn a pain in the ass. I definitely didn't have this problem last week with my old set up. So far I haven't come up with any solutions to the problem.

I recently bought some ignition II baseplates and matched them up with a drake heelcup. I also had the same problem with my size 12 boots limiting my range of motion. I figured it would be a bit better with the fuse since they have S,M,L sizes where as the iginitions only had S/M & M/L sizes. My heelcups are not completely at the end, but this is because I was trying to balance the heel and toe over hang.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 am 

while you guys have big feet.. I only have a size 6 so with a small binding and a 149 bc prior set up.
I'm so happy with it, the binding are great close to the board, really snuggle (after i move the strap almost to the first hole) the quick response and solid ride I get from it is amazing. With my old set up i have to put so much effort into every single turn and now is like dancing trought the trees :disco:

about the cube I thinks are great cuz' i like a very far forward lean in my back foot going down only and it is really easy to adjust between riding and Turing mode and of course with only a 110 lbs of me I don't see any wear or cracks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:10 pm 

Just in response to the cube, maybe back the screw off half a turn or so? I remember my Bent Metals from the factory, the cubes were near impossible to turn, so I backed some of the tension off and it's been smooth sail... surfing since!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:56 pm 

First tour yesterday on my new Fuse baseplates.

Damn, these things rock :rock: :rock:

Congrats on a bomber setup Will.

-MB