Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting 1st splitboard, looking for some advice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 am 

Hi everyone, after a couple of years of holding off I'm finally getting a splitboard for this season. I've been looking at a few options both online and locally (Banff) and wanted to get some advice from the forum. I'm 185lbs 6'1" and my resort board is a Prior MFR 165. Here are the options I'm looking at:

1. Prior Backcountry split 168 (traditional camber). I can get this board locally (in stock).
2. Prior Backcountry split 168 (hybrid rocker). I'd have to order this one up from Prior and would have to wait 3 weeks. :-(
3. Venture Storm-R 167. I've seen this online and could ship it up to Canada, would probably pay a bit more in shipping, duty, etc.

So what do you guys think? I've never ridden anything but a traditional camber board, so I don't have a sense of how big a difference it would be (I'm willing to give it a shot). If the difference is minimal I'd probably go with the cambered Prior only because I can get it without waiting. Also looking at the Venture and Prior websites they seem to have different approaches to the rocker concept but I'm not sure how much of a difference would be noticeable on the snow. People seem to really like the Venture boards - any comments on how they compare to the Prior?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Looking forward to getting out there!

Mark

Post subject: Re: Getting 1st splitboard, looking for some advice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:17 am 

I'd go with a rocker for sure, after having ridden one! (I'm on a Prior AMF split this year - loving the hybrid rocker)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:54 am 

All three = excellent choices!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:35 pm 

I have a non-split Venture Storm-R 167. I'm a bit smaller than you but if I had a choice I'd go even bigger, like a 172. The rocker makes the board turn smaller/quicker, so it'd allow you to size up and enjoy even more floatation. It won't hold an edge as much as a regular camber board, and there seems to be less pop out of turns, but on the other hands the rocker allows me to turn quicker w/o fear of catching an edge. In that sense I find myself riding the Storm-R more aggressively. I guess it just depends on your riding style and if you're willing to try something new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm 

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! For the Venture riders, does the flat camber impact skinning performance?

I've found a place nearby that rents Voile splitboards, so I'm planning to try one one this coming weekend as my first splitting experience.

Thanks,
Mark