Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Warranty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:54 am 

I was wondering if anyone out there has called Burton about their nose or tail clips coming undone. What has Burton done about it? Replaced the board or replaced the clips or anything? Just curious.... Thanks

Mark

Post subject: Re: Burton Warranty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:44 pm 

I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure they are voile clips on the Burton board. I can't imagine they would do much. At best I bet you would have to send your board in and they would replace the clips.

Has anybody moded these clips? I have been thinking about drilling a whole through the clip and attaching a tight elastic cord that could loop around the unused post when in ride mode.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm 

In my experience- Burton has absolutely sucked in the warranty department as far as their splits go.

As far as your clips- use a ticket wicket or call Voile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am 

rightsider wrote:
I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure they are voile clips on the Burton board.

They are.

Quote:
Has anybody moded these clips? I have been thinking about drilling a whole through the clip and attaching a tight elastic cord that could loop around the unused post when in ride mode.

schwalbster made the exact mod you are talking about, and posted a pic a while back. I can't seem to find it though. One thing though - the latest Burton splits don't have that extra unused post.

I made a couple mods to my Burton to deal with this. One thing that helps is moving the split hooks further out towards the contact point (both at the tip and tail). For some reason, Burton puts them a lot closer to the bindings than any other split manufacturer. This then means that the tip/tail halves have a lot more area in which they can flex independently, which puts more stress on the tip/tail hooks. After moving the split hooks, the board felt more stable in general to me, and harder for the clips to come undone (plus while you're at it, you can also align the split hooks for a tigher fit - Burton seems to have a habit of not precisely aligning the split hooks resulting in a sloppy fit).

The other thing I did was replace the Voile clips with some old Burton tip clips, which are a lot beefier. I had to drill out the old ones, and drill new holes for the Burton ones, but if you can find them it's worth it. Just be sure to put locktite on the Burton mounting screws, as they have a tendency to come loose.

Even if you can't replace the tip clips though, I bet moving the split hooks would help. I had monk151 do this for me on my boards.

Here's a pic:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 am 

Oh, and one more thing. I think the curved tips/tails on the Burton splits where the tip hooks are is great for touring (avoids catching stuff on the tips/damage), but it also puts more stress on the tip clips, since there's less of the solid board material behind the tip clip. I bet simply moving the tip clips slightly lower on the board so that there is solid material behind the entire clip would help too. When using the old Burton tip clips this is less of an issue, because they cover more area, and are stiffer/stronger to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:22 am 

I had the same problem with my 08/09 model. I was fortunate enough to work through my local shop where I bought it and Burton warranted it this fall. My understanding is they are a stickler for requiring a receipt with the purchase date that meets the 1 year warranty though.

The crazy thing is they sent me a new deck of the exact same model from last year with no changes and this years model appears to be exactly the same. Long story short I'm riding this years model and after a few runs at the resort I've been unable to get it to get the clips to come undone. The only difference I can figure out is there are very minute differences in mounting tolerances. The new clips do not push the nose and tail apart (like my last years model did), the s-hooks have small gaps that might actually put more pressure on the clips to hold them together, or it might have to do with where I mounted my binders.

Here is the mod pic that I think jimw was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4607

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:21 pm 

Where do you live? The nose clip on my prior board wore out and I stopped in at the prior factory in whistler and they threw a new one on in 5 minutes for 10 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:21 pm 

You can order new clips from voile for $12. the nose clip is nothing more than a couple of pop rivets and a piece of plastic. Drill out the old one and pound in a new one.

However, in my experience the voile clips come undone on every board. Someone had a mod with a piece of cord on the board last year, looked pretty cool.

Nose clip