Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skin tail clips and cheat sheets. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

A few days of early season shredding and I'm already re-living last season's problems:

I'm still working on my skinning techniques.. but sometimes I worry on those steep climbs the skin will just fall off the end from sliding backward. Tape and straps just don't work. How many of you out there are modding you skins with tail clips? I'd hate to be drilling a hole or putting in a new rivet on the ski. is it possible to get a BD tip loop? maybe someone can post some pics of their mods.

Struggling to get those skins apart on a hill can be irritating. Anyone use the cheat sheets for their skins out on trips? I was told those are just for storing and are not meant to be continuously used on/off over and over again. it seems to me the 20bucks is worth avoiding the frustration i get when everyone's waiting for me on the hill. Anyone using these?

Post subject: Re: Skin tail clips and cheat sheets. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:23 pm 

Tail clips: no, never needed them.
Cheat sheets: yes, these save time and energy, as pulling apart skins with good glue can be a pain.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 am 

I don't worry about either. Never have any problems. Use your skins more, then they'll come apart fine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:22 am 

I enjoy tail clips as i live in utah, where the powder is so fine and light it gets right under you're tail flap and the glue gets frozen!! (Has happend on many long, cold blower days) I punched a small hole in the tail of my skin's and tie a small loop of elastic to it.. (drawcord sh*t from an old coat) attach to the existing rivet on one ski and i put an extra rivet on the ski with the tip clip. I dont even have glue on my tails any more cause the skins are 5 years old, but they stay on better then ever with this set up!

I'll post a picture when i get a chance...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

I'd like to see that mod. I think it's so annoying that skiers get tail clips for their skins, but yet we can't get them as a stock feature. I'd gladly pay an extra $10-$20 instead of making some crappy mod.

For the OP, I've found that Voile straps work fine for keeping your tails down. The key thing is cranking them on super tight and using them before you need them. Once the skin gets more than a few inches of snow under the tail, you are skunked. I find this generally happens on steeper ascents, so I'll frequently just put them on in that scenario. You get a lot of extra drag with the straps though and that sucks. Are you listening to me Viole???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 pm 

I agree, being the brother of a skier i noticed the benefits of a tail clip soon after my first tour.
This is the set up i use... a simple solution. Be sure to round the edge where the elastic cord runs over it... I usually put a new set of cords on there every season. I drilled the holes in the skins 5 years ago and they still havent ripped out, though id suggest putting the hole a half inch back from where i did just to be safe. Install a rivet on the ski with the tip clip and you are good to go!
My brother has black diamond skins and tail clips, and I have to fix his clips on the trail at least 30 times a season! These puppies stay put! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 pm 

That mod looks sweet. For the most part I haven't needed tail clips here in the PNW, but when the temps are low and the snow is really cold (like this weekend), I'd definitely make use of them. Having your skin come off on steep terrain in powder because the glue is frozen sucks bad!!! It's only happened a handful of times, but it's usually when the snow is at it's best.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am 

barrows wrote:
Tail clips: no, never needed them.
Cheat sheets: yes, these save time and energy, as pulling apart skins with good glue can be a pain.

That's funny, my experience is just the opposite. :)

I'm a big tail clip fan. You don't need a tail clip all the time, but when you need it, you need it. I've been using BD Glidelite skins with the STS attachment. Here's how I set them up for my split. Not sure what the issue is neilprovo was referring to, but I have had zero issues with the STS clips.

As far as cheat sheets, I don't use them. Every time I've tried them, they have ended up leaving some "plastic grid" residue on the glue. It's effectively like getting dirt or pine needles in the glue, so the glue gets weaker. I've been using a "tri-fold" when folding the skins lately (fold both tip and tail to the middle of the skin), which I find makes it easier to rip apart. You only have to pull apart half the length of the skin at once, so you have more options for using your legs etc for extra leverage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 pm 

JimW, nice work on the mod on your skin tail clips.

Does anyone still use a stretchy rubber piece like the old Burton skins? I really like that the skin goes tip to tail. Why does Voile recommend trimming their skins before they reach the tail?

It always seemed to make sense that the Burton skins reached the whole length of the board, and that you then stretched the tail clip on.

What's the general consensus that I've missed out on in the past few years?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:33 pm 

I would also like tail clips. Ive had the issue with the last 4" of the skin pealing off and getting contaminated with snow on the long tours. Im worried about them falling off on steeper assents, It would suck to get stuck if oneof them came off compleatly....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:51 pm 

I recently bought the Voile cheat sheets and so far I really like them. I've only been out with them two times, but did about eight transistions and it made things ALOT easier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:25 am 

I'm totally convinced I need tail clips. Whenever the temps drop into the low 20's I have trouble geting the tails to bond well. Also, the cheat sheets are in my humble opinion essential. Not having to crank on the skins keeps them out of the snow and you don't have to get your fingers all over the glue in order to grab them (keeps them cleaner).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:46 pm 

Re cheat sheets: They work great at making it easy to pull super sticky skins apart. But I basically don't like them b/c they are just one more thing to fly away, one more step to sticking the skins together and one more piece of gear to keep organized. I prefer older skins that don't stick together so darn well, but ultimately this is something a good manufacturer could solve with a better center ribbon or through some other method. (It's been years and hopefully this has been solved, but I did have a pair of cheat sheets partially disintegrate into a pair of skins rendering them nearly useless)

There are several good DIY tail clip ideas out there.