Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone tried the Venture Helix?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm 

Hey kids...

I'm just getting ready to place my order on a new Venture (WAHOOOOO!) and I'm just trying to get a little info on the Helix. I was pretty much set on the Venture Storm-R but I really am a little turned off by the big, old school looking nose on the thing. The rest of the board specs are great, but I guess I'm just being a girl about the looks of it! Anyway, I was checking out the Helix last night on Venture's website and it looks pretty nice. It's a true twin tip... and more of a backcountry freestyle board. The flex rating they give it is a 4 compared to the 7 of the Storm. So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually ridden the Helix splitty in the backcountry. How did it perform? I'm on a 3-4 year old Burton s-series right now. It's a pretty easy board to ride, but I'm not sure how it's flex would compare to the Helix. Burton rates it a 5. I ride a Custom X at the resort, so I'm used to a stiff board there... but my resort days are dwindling. Mostly ride bc powder/steeps/chutes/cliffs/anything fun to play on... with an occasional crappy snow day thrown in.

Sorry about the rambling. Just wondering what experience you've had with the Helix. Thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the Venture Helix?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:05 am 

Hey Boardergirl, rather delayed response but better late then never eh? I'm down in SLC, seems I recall you being up in the Logan area, point being we ride in the same area of the country. I picked up a Helix non-split last winter and really like it. I figured this was worth a reply since my Helix was seeing a lot of backcountry kicker days and such more than resort riding even though it's not actually a splitty. With regard to flex, my 158 Helix (26 cm wide), non-rocker is fairly firm for a twin-tip board. It's most at home on faster lines and absorbing big hits, not a rails board by any stretch. The 26 cm version really floats well on the soft with its extra volume. I've been looking hard at the rockered split version to add a freestyle splitty to my quiver. One possible negative with the Venture is the weight, both my Zephyr and Helix seem heavier than similar boards from other MFG's. Another possible point of concern is stiffness. I've heard from a few lighter riders that the flex pattern felt a bit stiff for them with the Venture boards, generally speaking. However, the stiffness might be an advantage when trying to use the Helix as more of a backcountry board. Personally, at 170lbs, I have no issues with the flex on my Helix. On floating in the really deep UT pow, I haven't dropped any big lines on mine but being a non-rockered twin that I have setup centered I would not expect it to excel. I do have a bud who picked up a Prior AMF rockered splitty at the end of last season and caught one of our big April dumps. He set his up centered and had no issues staying on top on a run down Cardiff. I'm attributing this to the rocker shape and expecting the Helix rocker to ride similar. Good luck with your decision...

Quick shot from one of our kicker sessions gone after dark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 pm 

Hey Err...

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I actually did already order my splitty about a week ago and ended up going with the Storm. I kinda wish I would have talked to you before hand. Sounds like the helix is sick. I guess I'm used to a stiff board so hopefully the Storm will be a good choice for me. Most of the time we're just rockin' the splittys in the deep pow, so it probably won't matter. I could jump on a piece of plywood and probably love that too. Anyway, thanks again for the info. If you get up to Logan sometime, give us a holler.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 am 

I am in the same boat right now. Helix or Storm. Anyone else spent any time on these? I ride a rockered billy goat in the resort and love it. Have a mojo for touring but want rocker.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 am 

Bump..Debating a Helix vs. Storm as well. It sounds like the Storm has proven to be a good performer--anybody else have insight into the Helix? Looks like the Storm is made a lot bigger, but do I really need bigger than 163 at 170lbs?
Thanks...please help!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 am 

I think it comes down to weather you want to focus on carving and fast riding, with jumps/drops pointed straight ahead (Storm). Or, do you want to give up a little of the speed/charging to ride switch, and throw spins, flips, etc. If you're the type that skins to the top and just bombs down, get the storm. If you're more inclined to build kickers or seek out natural terrain to trick off of, get the Helix.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm 

I ended up going with the Storm-R. I gotta say, this looks like one sick board. Haven't used it yet, but I'll let you know how it rides later. Merry Christmas to me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:34 pm 

Sick board. I was just lookin' for one online and it looks like theirs not many left in stock anywhere right now. Where'd you get yours? Regular or online retailer?

Have fun on it! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 am 

I actually got lucky and won the Venture photo contest last year. Lisa at Venture was cool enought to hook me up with a splitty (and this year's split for a few extra bucks.) So stoked! But I do know that my friend Kory down at Joyride Bikes here in Logan, UT has a couple of Ventures in stock. He's kind of an underground Venture dealer so I don't know if he has them online. Give him a call and I'm sure he'd hook you up. I think he still has a single pair of new Sparks, too. Tell him that Amy sent you and maybe he'll give you a deal. It's worth a try! The shop phone number is (435)753-7175. Good luck. I'll let you know how she rides if it ever snows here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:20 am 

Ah yeah, Bordergirl, now I remember about you winning that prize..talk about a serious reward! Stoked!

Thanks for the info, I'll probably have to wait til after the new year, but I think I'll be giving Kory a call!

:headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 pm 

1st day on the Venture Helix split R. Super stoked! :thatrocks:

Nice addition to my Storm R. 8)