Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: berthoud pass- oct. 30, 2009
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:29 am 

great day of shred. my partner and i snagged three laps on the pass, overall pretty good coverage. easily two feet of fresh and definetly more in spots. sort of a crowd out there... the people are hungry. we didn't bust out the splittys because of the lack of base but there were staircases all over the place that made for easy travel... a very worthy trip for us coloradans.. planning a trip back maybe for a stay in peter rabbit's. Happy shred to all. we're off to a good start around here..posting.php?mode=post&f=26#

Post subject: Re: berthoud pass- oct. 30, 2009
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:27 pm 

snobeast wrote:
sort of a crowd out there... the people are hungry.

I don't expect it to subside. It is practically a ski area again, but without the chairlifts.

Are there any routes that don't terminate back on the highway? I'm talking about skinning up from the pass, then dropping into some bowl into a different valley, and then skinning back up out of the bowl to the top again. I like Berthoud Pass because of the high and accessible starting point, but dislike it because of all the knuckleheads with the car shuttles (myself included sometimes :oops: ), tracking everything near the road into a mogul run.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:15 pm 

Anybody have current beta for snow coverage and conditions up at Berthoud Pass? I've spent all my time in James Peak Wilderness so far this season, and have observed the snowpack to still be quite thin and very unstable (as of 12/17). Lot's of propagating fractures under foot, and the new snow is resting on a general assortment of weak crap. The good news is there's definitely some deep carvable pow high up, but no low hanging fruit in this area.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 pm 

Just found this recent post on TGR, http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... ud&page=11
Basically re-affirmed what I was already thinking.