Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me decide....Droid vs iPhone
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:21 pm 

Backhistory.

Worked for apple, was given first gen iPhone, been using it for 2.5 years, love it, use Mac computers in our family. Mac snob.

Recently the phone screen has developed a dead spot that effects many of the phone functions and I need to upgrade.

I now work for Verizon and get deeep discounts on my service. I've been hopelessly waiting for the iPhone to come to verizon but now I cant wait any longer. Thinking about the Droid with google OS. The phone is really nice but it lacks some of the things I like, mac syncing, video out, no multitouch.

Any thoughts on what I'll be giving up vs getting.

Post subject: Re: Help me decide....Droid vs iPhone
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm 

I vote iPhone, though I've never used Android.

I use the iPhone for everything and it rocks. New apps like Dragon Search and Dragon Dictation make it even better.

My only iPhone complaints are that I drop calls quite often in the SF area and the camera is sucky, though the 3GS is better than my 3G for pics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:37 am 

Can't comment on either phone, though have some colleagues with the Droid and they are quite happy.

I personally would support my employer/establishment...unless I knew it would only be a short-term gig. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:11 am 

You could always go pirate and unlock an AT&T iphone after breaking the contract, and use it on verizon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:40 pm 

How bout sending your iphone to get it repaired? There are quite a few vendors that advertise iphone/ipod repair. If that works, then jailbreak it to verizon since you're probably not locked into ATT anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:32 am 

Verizon's network in the US used CDMA not GSM like ATT so I'm not sure how you'd get it to work here in the states.

Leaning toward Droid. As an employee we get 10 month contracts at Verizon so I think that will be a safer bet than signing up for 2 years with ATT.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:53 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Verizon's network in the US used CDMA not GSM like ATT so I'm not sure how you'd get it to work here in the states.

Leaning toward Droid. As an employee we get 10 month contracts at Verizon so I think that will be a safer bet than signing up for 2 years with ATT.

If its only a 10 month contract I would try it out see how you like it, might as well. There is supposedly a new iphone coming out in June so I would wait until the anyway to get an iphone to see how it compares to the older ones.

I'd be curious to see how you like the droid if you go that way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:03 am 

Not totally relevant to the question at hand but cuz I've never seen a Droid, but after messing around with my brother's Blackberry I was stunned by how limited and expensive the apps are. $30 for apps that aren't as dialed as free iPhone apps. Also, getting around is SO much easier on my iPhone as well as playing music, video, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm 

I vote iphone, but i'm biased I jumped from verizon and a nice employer discount. Droid is all right, but I like the all in one functionality of the iphone. The media function of the android phones are lacking. The ipod functionality as you know is killer on the iphone. I have the iphone 32gb 3gs. but as another poster stated, if you do sign a contract with at&t for discount pricing I would wait till July when the new iteration of the iphone comes out.

That being said if your discounting is that deep it may be worth it to carry a basic messaging phone and an ipod touch, or even ipad!!!

GL on whatever you choose.