Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tahoe/Eastside - 09/10
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am 

Maybe i did come in too hot, sorry Schralp.

Come on SF, you can't tell me he wasn't annoying you too. There's a difference between learning/helping/teaching and second guessing.

Carry on.

SanFrantastico wrote:
SchralphMacchio wrote:
I wasn't second guessing you guys at all ...
Honestly I think where avalanches are concerned you should feel free to second guess everyone as much as you like. As you know, I once followed a more experienced person despite internal misgivings and almost paid a very steep price for it. At the end of the day it's your ass out there so really I view it as your responsibility to yourself and your partners to stop and speak up if you have misgivings. So nice job and I'm glad you are paying attention to things.

Also I don't mind explaining the reasoning behind this or any other decision. It helps everyone learn more to think about the situation. Just keep in mind that there is no substitute for being out there. We did read the forecasts and plan accordingly. With a different forecast we would have gone bigger and higher elevation. That particular tour never felt unsafe to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm 

Ha ha - We can always count on you to speak up, Brad. :)

Shralph - The criminal lineup pic in the TR seemed to carry an implication that we had gotten away with misbehavior while I think the feeling after the tour was stoke that we had found a creative, safe, and fun tour on a day when a lot of people stayed home.

In the bigger picture (when I'm able to step back a little) I'd rather be annoyed than stifle the conversation.

Certainly if Shralph had been in on the planning & the tour he should have every right to have any doubts satified before signing on. Bottom line is I don't want to be responsible for pushing anyone past their comfort level on a tour and if someone on a tour has doubts about conditions, I wanna hear about it.

After-the-fact, and from someone not in on the decision-making, it can come off as second guessing and there are probably better ways to start the conversation. Something along the lines of "How did you decide on Maggies given the Considerable forecast?" But the scrutiny and conversation ultimately get us thinking and that's a good thing so I don't mind it.

It's a complicated puzzle and the consequences are severe. The SAC forecast is one piece of the overall picture. It's the most accessible and understandable part of the picture so when you are starting out it's all you've got. As you pick up more experience and make your own observations you gain a more nuanced view.

C'mere Schralph... :pals:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm 

Yeah I think we're all good ... :grouphug: :pals:

SchralphMacchio wrote:
I wasn't second guessing you guys at all ... if that was the case I woulda told Buffy so on the phone on Sunday morning!

SanFrantastico wrote:
I view it as your responsibility to yourself and your partners to stop and speak up if you have misgivings.

This is really what I meant by saying "I would have told Buffy so on the phone!" That as a friend I definitely would have expressed any concerns or doubts because that's what good partners and friends do!

SanFrantastico wrote:
Shralph - The criminal lineup pic in the TR seemed to carry an implication that we had gotten away with misbehavior

OHHH! Dude, sorry you missed the obscure reference. No implication there, really just calling you guys your name on the board! I should have used this picture with more obvious subtitle. (I guess in retrospect it does have some misbehavior implications :oops: )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am 

Did anyone ride yesterday? Was it any good, or is everything crustified? Any observations on how the rain affected the snow pack?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:12 pm 

Rose area was real nice yesterday. Still wintery up high.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:31 pm 

Red Lake Peak area was interesting today. Some wintery snow in high north facing slopes. Some hard glazed surfaces for skinning practice. Best run was south facing shot, but it was a little thin still and getting thinner quickly. It was hot up there today.

Looked like the heat was causing some minor roller ball activity and possibly some cornices to break apart.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 pm 

Anyone up for tomorrow or sunday?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:40 pm 

Tuesday Tahoe?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:34 pm 

Yes. Check your PM's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:10 pm 

Some pics of horse creek the 18th. None riding cuz it sucked, but the views were nice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm 

Oh, and not the b.c., but Alpine Meadows was off the heezy today. Buddy went to Jakes and reported same. It stayed cold all day too so go get it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:05 am 

Yeah, before I saw your second post I was wondering what you were doing down there when our snow has been good. I was out the past few days getting pow turns from last weeks storm. Still kinda low tide, but so fun with all the features that get buried soon. Thought I mighta seen you on the way to Estelle today, but wasn't sure and I was in a hurry. Gotta meet up after the holiday madness is done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 pm 

Wait, was that you just strapping in and dropping the very skiers right side of Estelle as I was topping out in red jacket and helmet? I thought that might have been you. We made eye contact then you dropped in. I had a fleece neck gaiter over my face so obv you couldn't see my goatie :)

Went to Alpine today and was shocked to see the snow had blown away overnight. Obv still able to milk some nectar windbuff and no one was hiking/hitting the good shit. Alpine rules.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next