Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never Summer worth $500 over Mojo?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

I can get a Mojo for ~$920CDN, looks like a Never Summer Summit will cost about $1400.

I have a Never Summer SL-R that I love (Rocker/Camber is awesome), and looks like it will be better in powder, and I'd prefer the 164 to the 166 or 161 of the Mojo. But, $500 is a LOT of money.

I'm 5'10, 175-180 lbs without equipment. 10.5 boot...

Any advice?

I'll either get the Fuze or Voile bindings.

Post subject: Re: Never Summer worth $500 over Mojo?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:08 am 

yes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 am 

Zee, whatcha doing slumming over here?

The Summit is an awesome board. I would know. This years with the rocker nose should make it even more fun. The thing is, I am pretty sure the blaho's will still split any board in their line up. So don't get stuck on the Summit. If you wanted the Premier or SLR R, you can probably get it done. It might cost you more (like $100 I am guessing) but if it's the board you want you should go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 am 

Hiya kill

I figured I'd ask around, about to pull the trigger on a split (pending wife approval).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
yes.

Can you explain? Seems like it might be a subjective thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 pm 

Better base material, stronger construction, 3 year warranty. Plus the Neversummer is sandwich construction vs cap. If you crack an edge on the Mojo, good luck getting it fixed. It does make for a lighter board though.

After two season with my NS Summit splitty, I have one core shot. With two seasons on my Voile freeride, I have more core shots than I care to count. It's not because I am riding any differently, it's just that the NS base can take more abuse.

Price is a big deal though, and the NS will cost you more, while the Mojo is more than a serviceable deck. So it really boils down to what you want in a board and what you can live with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:31 pm 

the first day on my new neversummer titan split i thought i better try it out on piste...slightly nervous standing at the back of the lift queue with probably the most expensive snowboard in nz strapped to my feet..$1200 us..with shipping overseas insurance and tax to pay it came up to $2200nz...ouch...sold my 2xvoiles and some boots and a salomon deck and we got there......

meanwhile mr "amped" slides into the queue over the top of the nose my board, two nicely peeled strands of fiberglass of the edges :nononno: looking the guy in the eye i could tell it was not worth the hassle, only two words would do and with as much disgust as i could muster i spoke....."farken punter"

and that was it ...the board had been truly broken in and the cost of it was never an issue again....

the moral of the story...hmmm....dont look at the price..get quality over quantity every time...and get what you want :twocents:

( the NS titan construction is solid, have used it late season thru rocks, a few edge taps and holding up well)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:50 am 

ghaniman wrote:
the moral of the story...hmmm....dont look at the price..get quality over quantity every time...and get what you want

words to live by.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 am 

*puts beer down*

I am in the same dilemma right now too. Not so much price being the issue, but supporting a company that follows a shredders building planks for shredders, and a semi local issue as well rather have a board shipped half way across the continent compared to half way around the world

Sorry for the rant, beers are in me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm 

I think it would be tough to go wrong with either option. I have a Voile Mojo split and Never Summer Summit and Titan TX solid boards and I like them all. As far as the ride, in the backcountry I would say that neither is superior, they are just a bit different. The Summit is a very damp board which is nice in choppy snow and marginal conditions you would find in a resort but isn't as necessary in the backcountry. The Never Summers are also a more durable construction but it comes at 1.5 times the price and extra weight. My 171 Mojo with first gen sparks feels noticeably lighter than my Summit 167 solid board. Stiffness wise the Mojo and Summit feel similar although with different flex profiles - the Mojo is fairly consistent stiffness along the length and the summit has a softer nose and is stiffer in the tail and underfoot. The shape, setback and flex profile makes the Summit a bit more fun in powder as it is a bit easier to ride aggressively with, both the Mojo and summit perform well in less than ideal conditions(steep hardpack, ice, etc). The Titan is very stiff to a point that it is difficult to keep afloat in powder at low speeds and I would not want a splitboard version because of this if it was my only splitboard, but it is very confidence inspiring at speed and on steep harder snow.

Both companies have excellent warranties (I have warrantied one of each), but I would probably give a slight edge to Voile on that over Never Summer. I may be in the market for another one splitboard soon and if I am I will most likely go with another Mojo because it is a very good board and also significantly lighter, cheaper and easier to get than a NS. If you go with a NS I'm sure you wont be disappointed because they pretty much set the bar for quality in the snowboard industry, but you are paying a lot for that quality(and I have a hard time justifying spending more on a snowboard than my last 2 cars combined...).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 pm 

Im a fan of the MOJO board. After going from a freeride to the MOJO there is a definat over all incresse in ride quality and feel. My freeride COULD NOT ride crud, hard pack or groomers but we great in the deel pow. How ever, the MOJO definatly excells past the pow ride ablity and feel of the freeride. I can charge any slope be it in the steep pow, groomers or the real bumpy crap in the resorts and feel confadent doing it!

I was riding flow bindings but recently went to ride EX and the over all ride qulaity is even better!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 am 

Ns - Voile 500 $ cheaper

Voile build year s after year s sandwitch board ..... the build one of the best boards for a god price .
All guy s call build lighter and cheaper board s - voile - conter s and brig a lighter and a cheaper board on the market .... this is what the boardingpepoel want ...
I m not sponsered by Voile - but when i need a2 pice board i bay a mojo - cap is the future of light boards - so much potiential - in the past some companys make big mistake with cap.

when you need a sandwith board build it with out abs ore uhmpe - build it with hard wood . it is the best at bounding and stiffy . 5 years i build boards - and i can only build sandwitch ..... i need cap too , it not so simpel as it looks in a real pressing system
and you can repair capboard s to - who said no ??? this one understand nothig a bout boardbuilding ... i repair some time the firstb generation of duotone mtm F2 eliminator and and ....
.... true word of a snowboardmanufactura....

Markus aka burton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Zee, whatcha doing slumming over here?

The Summit is an awesome board. I would know. This years with the rocker nose should make it even more fun. The thing is, I am pretty sure the blaho's will still split any board in their line up. So don't get stuck on the Summit. If you wanted the Premier or SLR R, you can probably get it done. It might cost you more (like $100 I am guessing) but if it's the board you want you should go for it.

After reading your post I've been back and forth with NS about possibly hooking up a non-Summit split but looks they are only doing the Summit split this season. Too bad, was looking for the a Premier or SL-R with the RC. Maybe they'll offer another split next season.