Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tahoe/Eastside - 09/10
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:55 pm 

I've been really testing my patience so far, I haven't waited this long to ride in at least the last 13 years. I checked out Mt. Rose a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure I could have found some snow worthy of sliding on, but it was gonna be a lot of hiking for a few turns, so I bailed. I was scoping out Alpine Meadows today, and there was more snow there than I expected, though not enough that I feel confident riding there without trashing my board and/or myself. But the big one is coming, looking better every day. I think by next week we will be seeing lots of these.
:mrgreen: :D :) 8) :clap: :guinness: :doobie:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:24 pm 

^^ http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/ Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:36 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:

Yeah man sounds UNREAL. :drool: Been watching that like a hawk all last season and all through the summer and now we're getting some action! Image for sure!

Also love http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=REV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

:headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 pm 

@mtnman: Mt. Rose certainly delivered some good turns as well as some board shots on the 28th.

Anyone have any guesses as to how much snow will actually fall next week? Does anyone know how far south it will track? Either way it sounds like Tahoe will have a legit base soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:46 am 

~3' of powdery sweetness at KW yesterday. Really fun riding except only chair 5 was running. Actually 11 ran for 1/2 hour so everyone got one fresh track. We heard a collapse hiking a NE aspect near the top of chair 6. Handpits showed really nice fluffy snow down to an icy crust on the ground that we didn't stick around to examine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

Isn't self employment great. :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:07 pm 

Deep, dry pow was slayed the past two days in Ward Canyon. :mrgreen: Strong winds and spotty preexisting (before the recent storm) snow have led to variable coverage - some spots barely a foot deep, others 4 or 5. Hit a few rocks, but no major damage. Most noteworthy is how cold 12/8 was - only time I've ever worn a puffy (over two long-sleeved layers), winter gloves with liners, and a beanie on the way up in the Sierra! Stability was good, the consolidation from yesterday to today is encouraging with a big, warm storm coming this weekend. Still plenty of anchors that need to be buried, so hopefully the incoming snow can crush the pow, bridge the snowpack and set us up for the season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:52 am 

I'd assume even after this next round this weekend, a lake level start would not be the best idea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 pm 

I would guess no unless it reaaaaally dumps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:22 pm 

Looks like it's about to reeeeaaally dump! By Mon. everything at lake level should be good to go. :clap: I love winter! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

Just be careful. Things are probably gonna be real tricky for at least a day or two. This report is from today: Apparently we have some facets. I'm hoping all this wetter snow compresses everything but I have no idea how that works tbh.

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:49 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Just be careful. Things are probably gonna be real tricky for at least a day or two. This report is from today: Apparently we have some facets. I'm hoping all this wetter snow compresses everything but I have no idea how that works tbh.

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory

Facets can't be compressed into stability. One of two things will deal with them. Some stuff will slide naturally and possibly allow new snow to bond well to the bed surfaces. Slopes that don;t slide will need time. It is also possible in areas with trees and large rocks that the upper layers could be anchored in place, bridging the pack and not stressing the weak layers. There will most definitely be lots of differences in snowpacks and stability across the area. Ti's the season for pit digging.
On the plus side, spent a few hours at the ski area today - only hit a couple of rocks, in the usual places. It's filling in nicely, and the brunt of the storm is just starting to hit. We got base!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:49 pm 

Reading TGR some boarder got caught in a slide off KT I think. Sounds like he was in a closed area. They ended up closing the upper mountain cuz of it. Should be interesting tomorrow. Going to squaw myself. Definitely gonna not gonna jump into the b.c. with these conditions. But fuck yes, we have base! :bananas:

Southern Sierra are getting uber pounded too. Especially down by Lone Pine which makes me giddy as I have mucho on the hit list down that way this year :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next