Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alpine Day Pack - Osprey Kode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:40 pm 

Has anyone had a chance to check out / use the new Osprey Kode 30L pack?

I'm in the market for a new pack, and have my eye on this one. Will it fit splitboard skins in the "snow tools" area?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Alpine Day Pack - Osprey Kode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:58 pm 

there are plenty of references to the kode 30 in this thread here...
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7291

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 pm 

Sweet deal. Looks like the Kode will suit the bill, although after reading the reviews, I'll probably go with the 38L

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm 

I just bought the Kode 30. Seems solid. I think it will easily hold enough for a full day, maybe even an overnighter if you pack really well.

I love the pockets on the waist. The hydration system seems nice as well. I doubt I'll use the helmet carry much, but it does make for an extra pocket. The pack feels good on my back with a full load and snowboard.

The main compartment is only accessible through the back, which is fine, but you need to undo the two small top straps to get in there (or you can just grab what you need from the side and not undo anything.) The avy compartment is OK, but should be slightly easier to get to in a hurry.

All in all, it seems like it will be great.

BTW, I see you're in El Cerrito. I got mine at the REI in Berkeley. I got the medium but they had a large in stock. I didn't see any Kode 38, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:13 pm 

i've been very happy with the kode 30. i read all kinds of nitpicks about it online, but i found almost all of them to be complete non-issues personally.

there are 2 problems with the pack--lack of a perfect way to store poles, and the fact that there isn't really a compression strap on the bottom, unless the pack is quite full. i fixed both of these with a very simple mod that i really recommend. i just bought some backpack webbing and adjusters and sewed it onto the bottom A frame ski carries on both sides. now, the strap is a full compression strap at all times, and you can put your poles on the side (inside the top compression), and this strap will tension on the handles. it works perfectly, weighs and costs almost nothing, and makes the pack much more functional. it really should come like this in my opinion.

personally, i hate riding with packs--it really affects my balance and ability. so the most important thing is that a pack fits very snug and carries weight well. this pack does--and is very well engineered ergonomically.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 pm 

After two seasons and about 80 days lugging the Kode 30 around I just replaced it with the Camelbak Pit Boss and couldn't be happier :thumpsup:
The Osprey design is pretty well laid out compared to the Camelbak, but I find the Osprey is heavy and extremely uncomfortable when riding.
Never had a problem carrying poles. Handles in one of the lower A-frame carry sleeves and the tips under one of the buckle compression strap on the top, tips up...

First $75 takes the Osprey off my hands (Its the orange color. Preferably local pick-up in SLC, UT)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:57 am 

Hey all,

Just picked up a new Kode 30 and was wondering how everyone is storing their poles for decents?

cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:12 am 

snowguy wrote:
wondering how everyone is storing their poles for decents?cheers!

snurfer wrote:
Never had a problem carrying poles. Handles in one of the lower A-frame carry sleeves and the tips under one of the buckle compression strap on the top, tips up...
Or both on the same side as in the photo below...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm 

Baskets can be put against the ice axe loop and the clips for the board carry used for poles as well, works great.

Last picture on this link shows my friend Matt with his stored in the center:
http://airpoppoff.com/Extravaganzas/Ski ... 2.31.2010/

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm 

zero wrote:
i've been very happy with the kode 30. i read all kinds of nitpicks about it online, but i found almost all of them to be complete non-issues personally.

there are 2 problems with the pack--lack of a perfect way to store poles, and the fact that there isn't really a compression strap on the bottom, unless the pack is quite full. i fixed both of these with a very simple mod that i really recommend. i just bought some backpack webbing and adjusters and sewed it onto the bottom A frame ski carries on both sides. now, the strap is a full compression strap at all times, and you can put your poles on the side (inside the top compression), and this strap will tension on the handles. it works perfectly, weighs and costs almost nothing, and makes the pack much more functional. it really should come like this in my opinion.

personally, i hate riding with packs--it really affects my balance and ability. so the most important thing is that a pack fits very snug and carries weight well. this pack does--and is very well engineered ergonomically.

Hey zero I know this thread has been inactive for a little while, but I'm really interested in your mod. I think I have an idea of what you did, but is there any way you could post a few pictures of your work? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with carrying 2 ice axes or an ice axe and an ice tool on the Kode 30? I love mine, but my only complaint about it is the 1 loop for ice axes/tools. Getting crampons and an ice axe soon and I'm thinking about getting an ice tool for those routes where I may encounter some waterfall ice on the way up. I'm just wondering how an axe and a tool will carry through that 1 loop. Is that something I should even be concerned with? I don't want to replace the pack as I really like it otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:57 pm 

+1 for pics of this mod. IMO the 38 cinched down nicely but the bottom strap is worthless unless full. Not sure why they didn't allow more play in that bottom strap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:27 pm 

Just here to say I've had the Kode 38 for the last couple years and it's been a great pack.