Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockerd board sizing,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 am 

Howdy,
I have recently purchaced a venture storm, but am concerned about the size selection. I am 6,1 about 170 and have a 10.5 foot. I went for the 163 which is the size board I always ride. I had wanted to up the size to 167 for more float but was told that with a rocker board I do not need to worry about upsizing for pow. I ride alot of pow and alot of trees if that helps. Thanks in advance for any info.

Post subject: Re: Rockerd board sizing,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 pm 

You'll be fine.
I normally ride 170+ boards and have a Storm (camber) 181 for when it gets really deep. My rockered deck, a NS Legacy-R, is a 166 and I get plenty of floatation at 6'5" and 230#. The only real sacrifice I can find by going shorter with the rockered decks is stability.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 pm 

Pow: what is your terrain and location? I hate short boards, as I find I can make a quick turn on any board within reason, but I cannot get stability at speed out of a short board. I am 6'1", ride mostly in Colorado, and ride boards between 166-172 centimeters (the Speahead at 178 is too stiff for me, except when I am really maching).
Rocker boards are easier to turn, so my suspicion is that one can upsize when going rocker: one does not have to load up a rocker board as much to get a quick turn out of it.
You need to consider stiffness in terms of your weight, and length in terms of your height. Then you need to factor in your terrain and typical snow conditions, and then riding style. If spinning tricks are important then size down a little, but if high performance turning, bombing lines, and stability are important upsize a little.
At your size, for my riding style and terrain, a Storm R 167 would be the minimum I would ride, and I probably would prefer a 172.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:37 pm 

Good points above. Another thing to consider is your weight with all your gear. Clothes and pack and you are probably pushing 200 lbs. The 163 will be fine most of the time but when it gets truly deep I'd go 167 or bigger. Quiver time. I can't speak to rockered boards though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:08 pm 

A board doesn't respond to your height--it responds to your weight. At 170, something with that much rocker plus taper should be more than enough. I weigh the same and have ridden deep snow on a k2 turbo dream 61, centered, carrying 30ish pounds of camera gear, with no issues. The storm-r being rockered, tapered, and set back, you shouldn't have ANY issues with flotation--in fact, this year I will be riding a storm-r 162 with a 25cm waist for touring with camera gear and all the usuals. Enjoy, I'd say...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 pm 

Ever here the saying, once you go big you never go back ...

Its just a matter of taste, some like it big ,and some don t . Those that never try it, are like the rest. Never knowing, and thats how it will always remain.. Do you want something different? Those Euro guys know what its all about. Small boards are for the ski area and on those big pow days, and I m not tralking about 26 inches.....I mean like 40 inches...Those who ride on small boards flail, and talk about back leg burn...ouch!!!!!!!!!!!...

Walk on the wild side brother , you should trade it in for at least 10 cms bigger than your normal riding board...170's are even small on pow days...its really not that much of a bigger board... were talking cms

So here you go, Imagine ...Floating down , some unreal slope, and you witness the ultimate feeling, on the ultimate board. And, that feeling leads you in a different direction, like you ve never taken before. May change your life...your ride...

Big boards brother ... 171 is my smallest...

Ride hard, smile big, breathe ... :doobie:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:09 pm 

I stand by what I said:
Board length goes by height: a taller person has a higher cg, and will appreciate more board length because it helps compensate for the higher cg, keeping the rider centered on the board.
Board stiffness goes by weight
If you know how to ride, you should not hesitate to try a longer board. Anyone who knows how to ride should have little problem making quick, short radius turns on a longer board as long as it is not too stiff for their weight; rocker and taper makes the short radius turns even easier.
I am not talking about primarily about float when recommending a longer board (although float does improve with length), I am talking about stability and control at speed: not having the board get tossed around every time you hit a pocket of snow of heavier density, or perhaps some buried avy debris chunks, etc. Short boards are less stable by nature. If you ever ride at speed, or in moderately large terrain, a longer board will offer higher performance for someone your size. If your back east, riding the mini golf style terrain there, then a shorter board will be appropriate, 'cause you never get up to a speed where you need the stability of a longer board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 pm 

182 Surf de neige wrote:
Ever here the saying, once you go big you never go back ...

Its just a matter of taste, some like it big ,and some don t . Those that never try it, are like the rest. Never knowing, and thats how it will always remain.. Do you want something different? Those Euro guys know what its all about. Small boards are for the ski area and on those big pow days, and I m not tralking about 26 inches.....I mean like 40 inches...Those who ride on small boards flail, and talk about back leg burn...ouch!!!!!!!!!!!...

Walk on the wild side brother , you should trade it in for at least 10 cms bigger than your normal riding board...170's are even small on pow days...its really not that much of a bigger board... were talking cms

So here you go, Imagine ...Floating down , some unreal slope, and you witness the ultimate feeling, on the ultimate board. And, that feeling leads you in a different direction, like you ve never taken before. May change your life...your ride...

Big boards brother ... 171 is my smallest...

Ride hard, smile big, breathe ... :doobie:

Thanks for one of the most entertaining posts in a long while... Tell it like you feel it! Will get one of my votes for post of the year if someone were to starts a thread.

My feelings are mixed on this one. I currently ride a 165 Khyber and feel like its too big... still dang fun but I'm actually getting over the whole taper dealie after riding a 161 Lib C2 and a 160 Khyber no rocker. I've ridden bigger boards and don't see the need even in big gnarly stuff. Maybe it because I pretty much only ride pow given my location.... Its totally a preference thing and really as long as you are out shredding and having a rad time, you've got the right board :headbang:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm 

Its great to see the variety of diffrent opinions on this topic. As to the question of terrain I live in steamboat springs, so mostly I ride trees and pow, but I also travel all over colorado to ride. Sounds like its all a matter of opinon, and I could be right either way. If I go bigger I am looking at the 167 or 172, but I think I still need to think it over.
Thanks everyone for all the great information. :disco:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 pm 

I am going with a 163 storm-r split myself for this season. I wanted the 67 but they are all gone! I got the last 163 they had for the season last week. Can't wait to get it in some deep stuff. I am currently on a diy 160 fish i made 2 months ago. Can't wait for the rockered Venture! I'll post a review once i get it out a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:12 am 

At 150 I ride a solid 162 K2 Gyrator. For a rockered split I will be looking at the low 160cm range

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm 

Lots of interesting opinions.... and as others have stated its personal preference. Aside from growing up in the eighties :wink: I know nothing about rocker. Well that and rocker nosed swallowtails.

But since you asked.... that board sounds way too tiny for your height.

Similarly to my fellow swallowtail freak Surf de neige, I'm pretty committed to the idea that a non jib, off piste board should be +/- a coupla inches of ones height and increase proportionately with pow depth and snow density. And as Barrows points out, stiff enough to support rider plus gear in the expected snow conditions one rides.
I'm 6' and pushing 230 lbs with board and a days worth of gear.

:twocents: YMMV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 pm 

Well... had the my new Venture Storm-R 163 out in some 2-3 ft Colorado blower and it was everything i thought it was going to be!!!! Floats so well, turns on a dime and seemed pretty stable at speed. The board performs very well. The only thing i noticed was less traction with my skins on a somewhat icy sidehill. Other than that it was a great ride! Can't wait to log in many pow days under this board! I am 6' 175 with gear. I was going to get the 67... but they were all gone. I definately don't feel as though this is too short though. Seemed pretty perfect. Rocker tech is definately fun in some blower pow! L8 :doobie: