Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: why wear a beacon if you ride voile plates?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:51 am 

It just seems like something you check out before going out and making sure all ducks are in a row.

Sometimes my goggles are really fogged up, if i don't take care of it before i drop sick line......i could eat it. But i don't blame Smith. Don't get me wrong, 6 sets of plates seems wrong. But i've blasted on 2 different sets without a single crack.

maybe your doing some wrong?

JL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:21 am 

It's a question of perspective. With all due respect to cracks being an issue, it's nothing compared to the risk of not wearing an avalanche beacon, presenting it as if there is no point in doing anything safe if you're going to ride on voile plates, cracked or not, is trolling, plain and simple.

And no, I don't work for Voile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm 

If there is an issue with with a product failing in an area most companies redesign to make it better. Voile did just that recently to strengthen that part of the plate to rectify said problem. :thumpsup: Voile.
Since i run dynafit with AT boots my plates will out last me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 am 

That's great news they finally made some improvements to the plates.
Sorry for the shock value of my statment. Exagerated no doubt, but a risk people should be aware of regardless.
Fishing has been great. Flashy bait works best. :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:54 pm 

I better go check my plates.............

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!! :doobie:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 pm 

many peeps rode Burton split interfaces back in the day....

talk about scary :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am 

I had three years on the original Burton interface, got a few cracks but never felt unsafe.

I now use Voile plates, been riding the same plates for 2 years, no cracks.

The only time I've felt unsafe due to gear is booting up the boilerplate in softboots. Between that and busted straps on softboot bindings I'll stick with the plates.

Gimme a break on the concern for others safety, you sound like a tele guy.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 pm 

What's with the Voile hate? Voile gave us the splitboard, and every split out there uses Voile components, Burton's system was horrible.

Maybe a few baseplates have cracked but take a look at what else fails in snowboarding equipement. Has Voile ever dropped the ball on a warranty replacement?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 am 

The cracks are only an issue if it leads to catastrophic failure. Haven't had that happen to me. At least yet. The tabs on the plates are a weak link for sure. I do have cracks on my current plates but I've monitored them and no issues. I was getting tired of replacing the plates, no doubt.

I now have some Fuses so I doubt I'll be putting much more stress on the plates anyway.

Comparing it to a beacon isn't really a comparison at all.

Sounds like you need to metal up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:22 pm 

i agree. the voile plates are terrible. For bigger mountaineering lines i ride a hard boot/ dynafit/ voile plate binding set up. i love the up, and have dialed in the boots so the down is actually real nice too. the binding is the one set back to the system.
I'm scared for my life because of the tabs, i check them constantly... when i'm riding this set up i'm often NOT wearing a beacon simply because if it slides you die, burial or not, 1000' cliffs will kill you, beacon shovel and probe just slow you down. However that doesn't mean i don't want to eliminate this voile plate, a failure of the tab in these situations means death as well.
Why hate voile? terrible products. its that simple. thanks or the idea of the splitboard, but no thanks on your lack of testing/ product development. ( my girlfriend just sold a mojo 156 because it was so stiff she couldn't de-camber it to skin up, tell me that is not just ignorant) When will someone make a hard plate version of the sparks? i want to be lower to the board and lighter on my back when i'm on my way up.
Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am 

Anyone have a picture of where I'm supposed to find these cracks? Been on the same plates for 3 years but can't seem to find a crack. What the hell is a heel tab?

No beacon shovel or probe=no partner and a long wait for body recovery.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 am 

The “problem” comes from poor skinning technique. You're stomping your feet instead of gliding each step.
And if you're going to stomp your feet, I don't really understand why you're on a splitboard in the first place. Save some money and get some snowshoes! Since you're picking your feet up off the ground, having a splitboard just adds weight to each step.

Fritschi bindings have the same kind of problem with the center bar. People break them all the time because they don't know how to skin.

So if your slider tracks are in good shape, you're doing something right!

The first year I had a splitboard I noticed some stress cracks in the tabs. Skinning was a new concept to me. I had been snowshoeing for years, and it took a little while to break myself of bad habits. Since then I've gone through 5 or 6 sets of slider tracks without any cracking. The holes bore out long before the tab cracks.

nickf wrote:
my girlfriend just sold a mojo 156 because it was so stiff she couldn't de-camber it to skin up, tell me that is not just ignorant?

Man, I hope you gave her a bunch of shit for that one :lol:
de-camber to skin up?!?!?! What does that even mean? But, just like the problem of the cracked tabs, it's yet another example of people blaming equipment for their inexperience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am 

I've had my same pair for quite a while and shredded everything from lapping a fieldgoal kicker to bullet proof mtneering lines and had absolutely no problems. I am going to update soon more due to the fact I've bored out the holes on my sliders. Then I'm going to keep an extra binder in my pack just for back-up on big days where gear failure would devastating. Why not, their so light. Everyone I've talked to loves their mojo they may not be the prettiest things but their solid and backed up by a company the goes above and beyond for their customers.