Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile plate bindings set up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 am 

So I downloaded the pdf from the Voile site and am wondering if the illustration below is correct: is the throw on the binding really supposed to be on the front of the boot? It seems backwards.

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1130-50&Category_Code=SB&Product_Count=9

I couldn't get the pdf image to link so I just pasted the image off their site.

If you look at the instructional pdf for these though, they show the throw on the toe site, not the heel side (like crampons).

Post subject: Re: Voile plate bindings set up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:44 am 

It seemed odd to me too when I first bought them, but yes, the throw is supposed to be on the front.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:55 am 

thanks.

Has anyone had experience with tele plastic boots on these mtn plate bindings?

I'm thinking of ordering an extra pair of slider tracks and mounting the mtn plate bindings to them – that way I'll have a soft boot set up and a hard boot for steeper front pointing approaches.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:00 am 

There have been threads about tele boots, but not in a while. The toe bail wire is generally not wide enough to fit around a duckbill. Voile used to make tele plates, that had a different-shape toe wire, but they had very little demand for them, I think. I've tried to get my hands on some before, but didn't manage to get them. (the guy was giving them away, but wouldn't ship, even for money. :roll: )

Once I get some sparks or light rails, the plates will be exclusively for hardboots.

HTH,
Shep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 pm 

So the plates won't work if you reverse them so the throw is on the back of the boot?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:04 am 

I can't say it won't work, but the plastic throw is definitely curved to fit over the toe of the boot. All snowboard hardboot bindings that I've ever seen are set up with toe-bails. Just for curiosities-sake, why do you want to switch it up?

Shep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:12 am 

I've got a pair of tele boots, Scarpa T2's, and don't have money to throw down on AT boots. I was out yesterday in the mtns and on the climb ran into a section of about 80' of sketchy boiler plate snow/ice on a 45º that my soft boots would not kick steps into. I don't wide enough crampons yet for my board boots. Plus, being able to use my hard tele boots would make overnight trips more enjoyable 'cuz the T2's keep my feet warm at higher altitudes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:50 pm 

There is no combination of heel/toe bail and wire that will fit my 27.5 T2X's with the mountain plates. your cheapest solution is to find some aluminum crampons that fit your boots.

Sorry,
Shep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 am 

Hi from AK. I have quite alot of time on mountain plates. I use Dynafit Zzero 3tf boots. Overall, I dig the advantages. They are lighter. They tour better, because of the sideways rigidity, your not always fighting washing out off the trail. You can get up lots of stuff you'd have to give up on in soft boots. I ride with the top buckle on the last catch, and not buckled down. I also keep the boots in WALK mode and the power straps loose. I tighten up one tooth on the lower buckles for the down. The last part is key. Set up your back binding so it is real loose, that way you can can adjust (ie. be kung fu rida!) When I need to boot up the hardpack to the summit, they rule. Just don't forget to put em in ski mode if you need to ski down a little hill, or you;ll have NO backseat. And put a little time in to get used to having more power on hard snow, or you'll overwork the edge, and take off skipping. Not a good senario when you're on a pucker-line. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 am 

The old Voile Tele boot binding, is really dangerous as well...My wife took a slide on an icy aspect , last year, and it opened up on her, and she says they are not the right thing. Theyare a small, and we are not going to sell them . I am sure yo u could make a new bail for a Tele boot though...Good luck... :shock:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm 

i've come close to dialing in my new hard boot set up which combines the best of both worlds the toe below of tele boots and the compatibility of at boots.
i use scarpa f3's modified so there is only the ankle latch and the power strap left. i also cut away some plastic on the inside of the cuff. these mods make it so they are torsionally soft enough to have good feel on the way down but also hold strong on the traverses when skining. I cut away some of the lower part of the tung for a better forward flex pattern as well.
Using a dynafit set up the toe bellow is insanely efficient as well as the ability to use Walk mode. i never realized how inefficient having a high back is until i used ski boots. You have no limit on the extension of each step forward when the cuff rotates backward with your calf.
PS "semi Rigid" crampons ( i use petzl dartwin's for steep tecnical climbing) are stiff enough so that you really don't notice the toe bellow flex when front pointing. i also use camp xlc 390 for softer snow and you dont notice the bellows then eigther.