Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If they fought.....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:50 pm 

Voile Mojo 171 vs Voile Freeride 173, I ride hardboots and weigh @245 w/o gear. Both boards are @ $500. I like to go really fast. which do i get? (the "loser" gets posted as a PSA!)

Post subject: Re: If they fought.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:46 am 

The Mojo will be stiffer. Probably a better fit for heavy and fast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 am 

Who you callin' heavy?? :shock:

But seriously, thanks! I have heard a bit about the Mojo's, but didn't know anything about the Freerides.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 pm 

yeah, uh, sorry.. you're a man of great, uh, significance? :D

Anywho, the Freeride (what I've got) was paired by the mountain gun, a much stiffer board, until they came out with the Mojo to replace both. I got to ride a Mojo 166 soon after I got my FR166, and my impression was that they used more taper to make a stiff board float and turn about the same speed as the FR. YMMV, but I think the Mojo is at least as good an all-around board, but, for me, not so much better that I was sorry I'd bought my board right before they switched.

Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 pm 

"yeah, uh, sorry.. you're a man of great, uh, significance? :D "

this may be my new sig line.
And thanks for your insight. I've now got 3 possibles on the radar, the Mojo, Freeride, and a fleabay swallow tail.
any experience with the voile swallow tail vs. the other two? ( one more board in the mix, and I'm making this a pay per veiw fight!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:42 am 

I have a Freeride 166 and a Mojo 166. I think Shep's impression is right - the Mojo is stiffer, with more taper. Other differences are that the Mojo is cap construction which is supposedly lighter but less durable.

I've really enjoyed riding the Mojo and found it to be lots of fun in a variety of conditions. The taper and sidecut start to be too much in really steep + firm conditions but otherwise it's a versatile board. I've never particulary enjoyed riding the Freeride. I can't really point to a particular defect but find it to be a somewhat lifeless and uninspiring ride.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:49 am 

I've got a few years in on the mojo 171 and if there is one thing I can say about that board, it likes to go fast. Reigning that board in is doing it a disservice. Sure there are few negatives I could bring up about the mojo, but what the hell. Get that thing up to speed and use that nice stiff pop, you can float that white beast all over the place.

If they fought......the mojo would bury that freeride in a white grave.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:42 am 

ecnalubma wrote:
any experience with the voile swallow tail vs. the other two? ( one more board in the mix, and I'm making this a pay per veiw fight!)

Yeah, the swallowtail is a different ride altogether, no comparison to the other two. Steep open powder bowls and going very. very fast are the domain of the ST. I have a couple of them. A voile 195 and a Wasatch 172. The later is not split and is my favorite all around board, it excels on crud and steep groomers too. Not sure about the 195 on those conditions.
I also have a Voile Mojo 166 which is pretty much like the ride on most other stiff twin tip boards, but again its completely different vibe from an ST.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:56 am 

:guinness....Just to throw some more info into your decision making process...The fastest board I have ever ridden was a Winterstick Swallow Tail.181cm in Alaska..I had the really good fortune to have 5 days of excellent conditions on a Heli Riding trip....I thought I had snowboarded until I let that thing rip.......On a day to day basis I ride a Prior Khyber Split 165cm which is a great all round board,especially trees.I also like the Prior 172cm Spearhead and the Venture Euphoria ... ..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :headbang: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:48 pm 

I have a quiver of boards as well, and The 171MOJO-Risin, is one AMazing ride. Sleek, quick turning, nice up hill stance, and above all ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

FasT!!!!! Have fun....

Send me more info on the Pay per view... :doobie:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.