Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, I am contemplating a custom Igneous split...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:06 pm 

But I am not quite sure what pattern to get. (This isn't a 'rocker' discussion, per se)

Any other Iggy splits out there in thissy here forum? I am thinking a pattern much like Rome's 'S' , heavy forward rocker, underfoot camber, slight tail rocker, long sidecut (9-10m plus, like a Prior ST 174). Fairly rearward plate hole options, allowing up to 40 degree angles both F&R (not planning on going that steep, but I want the option!

Thoughts?

This board will be primarily for Teton use, Park, Pass, West Side hits/huts. Due to the goat-path outs of most of our popular shots, reverse sidecut simply wouldn't be worth it here.

Last to decide, Swallowtail or not.

Post subject: Re: So, I am contemplating a custom Igneous split...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 am 

I have ridden the areas you talk about quite a bit (for a Colorado local). If it were me, I would go with even less sidecut, 11 meter. Deep sidecuts are overrated, and in your steep terrain less sidecut will perform better, as well as track better on out tracks, and skin better.
I would go with extended tip rocker from the front binding forward, and very slight camber through the midsection and beyond the rear binding.
Does Igneous have a license to make splits? I would love to look into this if so.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:05 pm 

I know a guy, Mot, that does some work for them and built his own a few years ago. If he's still doing it, chances are he knows what's up. Maybe see if you can get in touch with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm 

It seems to me that perhaps voile owns the patent for the split hardware, not the splitboard, thus you could probably buy a split board sans inserts and install whatever kit you wanted too yourself... Custom shops like Igneous or us here at Wagner Custom/Winterstick might be able to do that. We made Tom Burt's Winterstick TB72 Split, but we don't see enough volume in splits to justify buying the right to sell someone else's insert pattern. Perhaps if we drum up enough interest...
anyone want a custom split? Gimme a :thumpsup:
Sorry, not cheap...