Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Documentary/Tribute Film on Craig Kelly
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:26 pm 

Farkin-A Jim. I see with that big ole van came some good old boy speak.

Glad I wont be the only cow poke on the trail this season

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:52 pm 

Cow poke! Hahaha! Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 am 

Good times hanging out with everyone! Thanks for posting this Tom, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Very interesting film. Cool collage of periods in Craig's life - each segment a revealing personal vignette showing a side of Craig, his interaction with his friends, the snow, his family, and also showing his outlook on life. Very very personal ...

Watch that movie BCR, hope you enjoy it! Taro did all the drawings in the film from what I hear. Nice score for you with the DVDs! ... Tom Burt was telling me he's good friends with Taro if you want to get in touch with him again. Here are the boards he makes:
http://gentemstick.com/images/pdf/TTSS.pdf

Cheers y'all, see you on the skintrack!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:23 pm 

It was nice to see some split faces at Where the Wind Blows premier. I had seen only a few parts of the film prior. It was tough for me to watch at times because it brought tear to my eyes and a heavy heart, at other times it made me laugh, and of course the enjoyment of watching a friend riding. It is a great film. It is a great window into Craig's personal life and attitude toward life for his later years. I would like to thank Ari for spending years of his personal time in putting it together and also thank Dave Seone for donating a lot the footage. I hope Ari can get the film out there so more people can get a glimpse of Craig.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm 

I'd love to see it. It might take a while for Ari to get the UK dates for the tour, so I'll keep my fingers crossed he finds some distribution for a DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 pm 

Bummed I missed it, especially as I'm less than an hour away from where it was shown... Thanks for giving me a ring Schralp, I would have loved to join you guys.. I was overdue spending some quality time with my family, so at least I missed it for a good cause...

Now I'll have to be like the rest and send happy thoughts towards the successful procurement of global distribution of the film for the masses... ;)

As the bumper sticker on the board says, "Craig is my co-pilot".... In film, in our memories, and in all the lives he's touched, he's alive and well, still rippin....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 am 

It's hard to describe this movie. If you want to call it a snowboard movie then its like no other snowboard movie you've ever seen. Forget for a moment the stoke you get from watching Craig nail big pow lines with his unmatched style, this film is a piece of art. It is apparent that the movie was not put together with a mindset to sell movies. It very much feels like an artist making a movie about his friend.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the movie for me was a scene with Tom, Craig and Ari riding up a gondola in Iran right after a storm with no one on the mountain. Ari's filming Tom and Craig and they literally have ear to ear smiles and are absolutely gitty. Tom's quote while giggling was "this is like backcountry but with a lift". Even ski flicks that try to be non-traditional don't capture the moment like Ari did.

I'm not a touchy feely kind of guy but I have to say that I felt honored to have been there. Thanks for posting the event, Tom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 am 

Sounds like one hell of a film/tribute guys, I really hope we get a chance to see this at Scrubfest. :thumpsup:

Tom one thing you probably didn't realize when talking to Schralph, is that he does a pretty good 'Tom Burt impersonation'. I've seen it myself while touring with him. It basically involves young Scralphy skinning/running as fast as he possibly can and attempting to cover as much ground as possible in the shortest amount of time. :lol:

Needless to say, I think Mr Macchio is one of your greatest fans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:47 am 

Thanks for posting this event TB, I'm stoked I went. I haven't been to a snowboard movie in years but this was one I just had to check out. While I never met Craig, he was an amazing individual and his influence on snowboarding and splitboarding will never be forgotten.

Re the film. I was expecting it to be more polished and narrative like "Let it ride", instead it was very raw and intimate...like a home movie. The viewer gets to see things that they just dont get to see in a normal film. Very cool.

It was emotional to see Craig's wife, daughter, and dad in attendance too. I took my son with me so there were definitely lots of stuff running through my head in regards to backcountry snowboarding, family, and the white dragon. Its difficult to describe the feeling of being a parent and someone that loves to ride their snowboard in the backcountry. As a parent I never want to leave my wife and kids. But as a person I just dont feel complete without snowboarding, even if it means I could not return to them someday. Thinking about exposing my son Sky to splitboarding leaves me with mixed emotions too. How can I not expose him to the beauty of bc riding but knowing that he too could someday not return home. Its wierd to describe but I think pretty much everyone here knows what I'm trying to say.

Seeing this movie with Sky helped to capture why we do it and how special Craig's life was. I'm stoked I took him and I'm sure he'll remember it forever.

Taro, if you're reading this, it was great to meet you and thank you for the dvds! Watched both of them this morning. Someday I gotta come visit you. You "get it" on so many different levels! :headbang:

Nice to see and chat with you too Tom.

Thanks for making this film Ari!

RIP (rip in peace) Craig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 am 

Forgot to add:

The irony of Ari's comment at the end to PJ was pretty funny too.

PJ joking asked, "who was the heavy breather on the skin track?"....Ari's reply, "obviously you've never splitboarded at high altitude".

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 am 

Yeah it was a beautiful, intimate portrait of Craig Kelly and it was a touching and fun night. One of the final scenes was this high speed follow cam through steep trees & deep powder and it was such a pure expression of joy. It was the other side of the equasion that looms throughout, the loss of Craig.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
One of the final scenes was this high speed follow cam through steep trees & deep powder and it was such a pure expression of joy.

Yeah, that was an amazing and unusual scene, I don't think I've ever seen riding captured quite like that before. I'm always inspired reading about Craig and the film caught that, thanks for sharing it Ari, and please keep us posted on any sort of distribution that might happen, I wanted to see it again as soon as I got home that night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 pm 

I love being the butt of jokes. :thumpsup: I knew Ari would have a good comeback.

Totally loved the the Kelly film and all the other shorts that Ari presented. Starting off with Thurston and Kim from Sonic Youth doing what they do with guitar noise to the Beastie Boys "video" and studio short to the very artistic "stomper" film short, then of course the Claremont downhill. Totally unexpected additions.

Stoked so chat with Tom and meet Dave Seone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next