Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boards for splitting yourself...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:12 pm 

B.C. Rider...the site looks good. Hope I can join in the fun some day and shuck the slowshoes...

Anyway..Looking for a board to split, and I understand that wood-core boards that don't have an edge over the nose and tail are the best. If this is the case, do you know of any specific models that I should be on the look out for?

thx...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:30 pm 

i'm kind of in the same spot. am considering cutting my 170 K2 FatBob. Anyone know if this is a worthwhile operation? or should I just buy new. I love the ride of my FatBob, any opinions on which splitboards have a similar feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:59 pm 

Hey guys,

Way to start off a great discussion here. I would tend to stick away from any board with a cap construction if you're going to be making your own. A side wall construction board would be a much more durable choice to start off with. I think you'd run into problems with the cap board top sheet peeling apart on you if you ding it possibly on the inside edge. Then water would get in and well, that would be a bummer.

I'm not sure if you could find a manufactured snowboard that rode exactly like your Fat Bob since K2 doens't make splits but there are several other great boards out there. Check out the review section here @ splitboard.com. The guys are working hard to bring us the best info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:05 pm 

mtnrider
any idea which boards have a similar feel (I hate noodly boards) to the Bob? I've been riding it since '99 and am used to the feel. (although it is a bit big for a 150# lightweight like myself). I've heard that the Voile boards are a bit softer than the Burton any input on this? My S.O. has a Voile, but she won't ever let me ride it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:19 pm 

Welcome joyclicker! (do you go by another screen name on other forums?)

In regards to your question. I defer to more experienced disciples when it comes to splittin' your own. I've never done it. Be patient as the site just launched so it may take a little while for them to find us. We're also working on a "Split your Own"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:33 pm 

Hi bdub"¦welcome!

My first question is, what size are your feet? You mentioned you were 150#.

The reason I ask is it determine if you really need the wide board or not (Fat Bob). Wide boards are great if you have large feet or like some extra float in powder but if your feet aren't that big or you plan to use the board on firm snow, it will be hard to make edge to edge transitions.

The other drawback to wide boards for splitboards is that when the board is in tour mode, the skis will also be wider. Splitboarding is already a little tricky due to the width of the skis, if the skis are too wide"¦traversing will be difficult.

If you like a softer flexing board I would look at the Voile like you said. It would be a good idea to demo the Mrs's before you buy. Good luck and don't forget top report back to us.

Ps. Cool pics on your site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:36 pm 

I agree with Bcrider on this...if you don't already have an old board lieing around I'd look into a used split. I can't offer an opinion on flex pattern of the Burton board since I haven't tried it. I ride a Prior and have been super pleased. I impressed by the Burton as well. If you don't like a noodley ride I'd stay away from the Voile, since it is more for powder only conditions.

Don't get thrown by the size of your board. I'm 5'7\", 160 and ride a 65 length split.

If you use a carbide saw blade to do the cut on your board it will cut smooth and clean, along with going thru any inserts (burton insert pattern) and edges. They are a bit more expensive of a blade but you'll want to do the job right the first time :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:41 pm 

hey bcr,
yeah, i have big feet, size 11ish. has kept me on a wide board for a few years now. i'm 5'10\" 150# (lost 15 while in China). The Bob took a while to get used to, but now I love it. Also ride really wide tele skis (Jaks) which a few of my friends have mistaken for a splitboard . Fat is your friend! I'm in AK so am a complete powder hound, but hate noodly boards, kinda strange, but i am what i am. mtnrider, i am really interested in the Prior boards, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:53 pm 

Hi bdub, I've only been on a Fat Bob once, so not much help there. If you know Edskimo up here, he's the first guy I saw on a split & he seemed to like the Eldos best for slicing up. If you have the funds go with a split, I got my Voile 195 ST four seasons ago & it's still going strong (weekend warrior use). I home split a TB172 that rode great until I broke the plastic tail off on a rough landing(one season's use). The Prior splits are getting real popular up here, especially for hardcore do-it-all riding, but the Voile designs seem to rule the dry pow. Never Summer has a wide board that would compare to your Fat Bob's shape and design + the Blaho Bros do a custom factory split job! BCR may have a link to these guys somewhere on the site-or maybe they'll buy an ad from him!
If you're strapped for cash, the split kit works very well & is easy to build. Don't expect your home-split board to last many seasons if your ride hard. Good luck!

Post subject: Dude you ride in the Wasatch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:31 pm 

My suggestion is to make your own rig if money is an issue. The conditions you will experience here are complimented by a wide noodley board. I have an extra split kit lying around if you are interested. $100 Here is my take after 7 years of riding a home made rig around the wasatch: Unless you are a really descriminating rider you will not be disappointed by the voile rig on your board. Yeah, it isn't going to ski well on icy traverses but that issue can easily be avoided by route selection or simply riding the traverse in board mode and loosing a few feet. You will no longer have boot packing or snowshoeing buddies you will be too fast! I use an early 90's Ride custom ''jig saw''swallow tail. Stalls like a surf board in the deep pow. The thing is built like a tank and has proven very durable, not light. I have been interested in the prior khyber but it is a bit spendy,EH! Good Luck, Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:30 pm 

welcome jared and U-TAAH!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:39 pm 

If I split my 158 Burton Seven, will I have problems skinning? Will the independent boards bow excessively, thus reducing the skin contact surface? I need to know before I pull the trigger on the home split kit.

Post subject: burton spilt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:47 pm 

Fire up that saw! It will skin fine. Be sure to read my post on skinning. Make sure ya put your skiis on the right feet- cut edges go to the outside. :twisted: