Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rockered Boards - Worth the hype?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:51 pm 

Or you could do that, I guess.
Personally, I have too much respect for the environment and small buisness owners to go that route. I'll pay extra for environmental values and a high quality product everytime.

Hopefully I'm not alone. If I am then I guess it won't be the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm 

The whole idea of environmentally friendly snowboard building is green washing if you ask me. So they use a little less chemicals per board than Burton. Does that really have a measurable impact. Absolutely not, and believe me, I know about green washing. That's what I do for a living. The most environmentally friendly thing to do would be to not snowboard at all. Now that wouldn't be very much fun.

Yeah, I get what your saying about supporting small businesses for sure. I make a concerted effort to buy from local bike shops, no Wal-Mart, farmers market, etc. I am supporting Monk if that counts for anyting.

Plus, I'll end up paying less than half of what a Venture would cost. Gotta feed my babies.

bones get broke wrote:
Or you could do that, I guess.
Personally, I have too much respect for the environment and small buisness owners to go that route. I'll pay extra for environmental values and a high quality product everytime.

Hopefully I'm not alone. If I am then I guess it won't be the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:26 pm 

No doubt that Venture makes a quality product, and I love that their boards are made here in Colorado. The problem is that they have too deep a sidecut for me. It is kind of frustrating to me all these boards with sub 10 meter sidecut radii: all of my favorite free riding boards have had a sidecut radius of 10 meters or higher. I find the deep sidecuts on most current boards (split and solid) are not compatible with high performance riding, as the board is unstable and always wants to hook into a turn-I do not need a deep sidecut to make a board turn-I can easily make super short radius turns on my Prior Backcountry 168 split (10 meter radius) and my Winterstick TB (11 meter radius).
As far as rocker goes, I am really looking forward to boards without the tail rocker-the Storm R is close, I would probably go for a Storm R split 172 if it had a 10.5-11 meter sidecut radius.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:09 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
The whole idea of environmentally friendly snowboard building is green washing if you ask me. So they use a little less chemicals per board than Burton. Does that really have a measurable impact. Absolutely not, and believe me, I know about green washing. That's what I do for a living. The most environmentally friendly thing to do would be to not snowboard at all. Now that wouldn't be very much fun.

Yeah, I get what your saying about supporting small businesses for sure. I make a concerted effort to buy from local bike shops, no Wal-Mart, farmers market, etc. I am supporting Monk if that counts for anyting.

Plus, I'll end up paying less than half of what a Venture would cost. Gotta feed my babies.

Man, there's nothing that can be done about the glue (as you put it) that goes into a board. The enviro bennefits come from the use and support of farmed trees in the cores instead of foam and composites as well as building the boards using electricity generated from wind (the new factory is 100% solar and wind powered). That and the support of organizations like "1% For The Planet" and "POW". Correct me if I'm wrong because I can't stand Burton and I don't follow the brand, but I doubt Burton has made a high end board in the last several years with a wood core.
Call it green washing if you want, that's fine you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to do my best to not be a hypocrite when and where ever I can. I happen to know Klem and Lisa Branner, they believe in and practice the stated values in the Venture literature.

I pay for Venture boards and my babies eat very well.

(end hijack...sorry man)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:28 pm 

Now that we've been b**ching about Burton, I figured I'd throw this grenade in there: I think Burton's S-Rocker is pretty much what you are talking about. Rocker in front of your foot, camber between your feet, flatish to the back. Malolo and Fish have it.

Shep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm 

I'm way stoked on all the new designs coming out of the snowboard industry all the different shapes and camber, ITS ALWAYS FUN trying out a different board be it sk8 or snow (every snowboard I ever rode was fun) Its kinda funny reading the doubters and haters of progression and evolution, it reminds of early nineties high and low back binding controversies Or the mini sk8board wheel. The truth is if you can shred it your gonna kill it on anything and the equipment your on is just that, equipment made to be thrashed. my main point is to just have fun riding whatever. it needs to snow in Northern California

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm 

barrows wrote:
No doubt that Venture makes a quality product, and I love that their boards are made here in Colorado. The problem is that they have too deep a sidecut for me. It is kind of frustrating to me all these boards with sub 10 meter sidecut radii: all of my favorite free riding boards have had a sidecut radius of 10 meters or higher. I find the deep sidecuts on most current boards (split and solid) are not compatible with high performance riding, as the board is unstable and always wants to hook into a turn-I do not need a deep sidecut to make a board turn-I can easily make super short radius turns on my Prior Backcountry 168 split (10 meter radius) and my Winterstick TB (11 meter radius).
As far as rocker goes, I am really looking forward to boards without the tail rocker-the Storm R is close, I would probably go for a Storm R split 172 if it had a 10.5-11 meter sidecut radius.
?

Which split would you rather ride. A Prior Spearhead or a Venture Storm-R?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:55 pm 

I own a Spearhead, but the 178 I got is a little too stiff for me. It would be OK for high speed pow riding in wide open spaces, but it is too hard for me to flex it until it is really up to speed-it's just not versatile enough for my weight. The length is fine though, I got the 178 (versus 172) specifically because it has a longer sidecut radius than the 172.
If your interested, my 178 is on sale (see listing in "splitboard swap"). It was only ridden one day, and is perfect.
I have not ridden the Storm R, or Storm (C). Like I said, these boards have too deep a sidecut for me. Until I can get a Winterstick Tom Burt Split, the Priors are the only splits I am aware of which do not have too deep a sidecut, and even they could have a little less.
my dream board would be: 11 meter sidecut radius, 70-100 mm of taper, 26 cm waist, 171 cm length, 131 cm of edge contact, flex pattern like a Winterstick TB (soft at the very tip, medium at the forebody, and a little stiffer through the tail), with a rockered tip back to the front foot, and very slight camber, or even flat, from behind the front foot to the tail turn up. A board as described would work great for me for backcountry splittin' in every condition I ride in.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:44 pm 

bones get broke wrote:
Man, there's nothing that can be done about the glue (as you put it) that goes into a board.

Good things are to come in regards to glue....check out Nidecker's new welded wood technology....I posted it a while ago on the Jeremy Jones off Rossi thread......he is working with Nidecker on his new boards and they have developed a technique called "welded wood" where they don't need any glue to laminate the layers together. So you could say that it has both environmental advantages but also significant weight savings....I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jones Snowboards comes out with as far as splits....cheers...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm 

I remember reading up on that. Good stuff if it performs as advertised (fingers crossed).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:31 am 

Demoed the NS legacy 163 solid the other day at loveland. Groomers with some ice. Was also demoing bindings which were set up a little wide and felt weird so could have affected overall feel of the board but whatever.....

Had great edge hold, Maybe too good, seemed to hook a lot when riding straight but could have not been detuned. Seemed to ollie really well but you had to lean back a little more to load the tail. Great for presses, great edge hold between the binding.

The one place I was missing camber was the tail. I like to pump my turns and gain a little speed like you do on a skateboard with your back foot. I felt that this was definitely lacking with the reverse camber. The board seemed to like to turn maybe a little too much. Might need a little less sidecut since when the board is on edge, the rocker kinda exaggerates the sidecut IMHO. Felt great when flat based hauling ass though. Riding switch was as easy as regular, almost easier for some reason. I think this had to do with my weird stance.

So first impression:
Good:
edge hold on solid snow
tail pop
butters

Bad:
Tail pressure in turns
Twitchy (due to no detuning I suspect, would get better)
Have to lean back a little more to pressure the tail for ollies and such

I'm kinda resistant to change but I think a few more days on this board and I would really like it. I would be changing my riding style a little to compromise which I don't really feel comfortable about but I could deal. Overall, this being my first semi-rockered board I like it and want more but I will still have a regular cambered board in the quiver.

PS This was also my first day on a snowboard this year since I have been telemarking lately.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:01 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Demoed the NS legacy 163 solid the other day at loveland.

The one place I was missing camber was the tail.

That board actually has camber in the tail. That's how NS's reverse camber works--rocker between the bindings and cambered tip and tail. Of the few rockered boards I've ridden, NS's is definitely the best (if you get a chance, try the SL-R, killer board). I hear what you're saying about having to pressure the tail to get some pop--I found the NS boards way easier to pop than other boards that just run rocker and no camber.

My :twocents: : reverse camber is definitely worth the hype--takes a bit of getting used to but once you see the matrix there's no going back. I rode my 158 in 3 feet of fresh last year and it floated better than my 166 ever did. I'm sold and looking forward to riding a split reverse camber.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:49 pm 

So i took my Prior AMF 162 out today for a proper test run,still waiting on a pair of Sparks,so looking forward to getting the weight down some more.
Did a groomer 1st thing to get a feel for it and ended up doing about 5 laps,it felt so solid,held a great carve and was switching and buttering around like my GNU.
Skinning was my 1st expierence and man i love it,so easy on the knees,been snow shoeing and bootpacking up until now and i will never go back,went into BC and followed some skiers skin lines,ended up sliding backwards on a switchback which lead me to believe i need to be taking different angles,maybe it has something to do with the reversed camber?,anyway i had to unclip and do a little bootpack to get a bit higher.
Anyway got some freshies and it went sweet,really like this board,great size for me and loving the centered stance,i can keep my duck stance.Really looking forward to sending it off some stuff this winter,seems like you can really throw down on this board,and am thinking of getting this board in solid version too :D