Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Backcountry Floatation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:56 am 

Hey all, I have found a deal on a Backcountry 161 and am considering pulling the trigger. I know this will a great choice for tight / steep terrain, I just hope it will float my boat. I'm 170 - 175 before gear riding in the rockies. That means low on pow, but when there is it's champagne. My resort board is an Arbor Crossbow 162 - which is a rocket with an attitude on most surfaces. In pow it feels like it is carving a couple of feet down, instead of popping up and floating. This is probably due to the stiffness and twin shape. Just wondering if anyone on a backcountry can talk me into this ride - will the small taper and setback be enough of a lift? :scratch:

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Prior Backcountry Floatation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:46 pm 

Hey snowsnake, it took me a while to decide on the length of board to use and I ended up with a Prior BC 158. I'm 5'9, 160 lbs and I decided to stay with a shorter board because I felt that the swing weight and overall weight on a 166 was too much for my riding style.

I just picked up this splitboard in the spring and yesterday was the first chance that I had to try it out. For both touring and riding the length felt perfect and I'll just have to wait and see how it performs in the really deep. I based my decision on a couple of factors....

1. Overall weight - splitboards are ridiculously heavy, so the longer the heavier....finding that balance in between length and weight can be tricky...it kinda annoys me that the manufacturers don't list the weights of their boards...
2. Swing weight- add a backpack and decide whether or not you will just be doing day tours or overnighters.....that extra length plus a 30-40 lb overnight backpack can make you feel like you are riding a freshly ripped 8' long 2x4 with a midget clinging to your back.....the 166 Mojo that I tried out a couple of times last year felt like this....it had too much length so it made it that much more challenging to swing the board around and point it where it needed to go...
3. Cut - the dimensions and cut of the BC 158 is surprisingly similar to a 158 Burton Malolo.....the Malolo is supposed to be a powder specific board and I had the 158 last year in three days of 27" inches of fresh. On the down, the float factor performed beautifully so that is why I decided that if the BC is cut so similarily then it should perform just as well and that was proven yesterday....
4. Riding style- do you like open bowls where you can take your time and make some soulful slashes or do you like "big giant fuck off terrain" with rocks, trees and cliffs and gnar factor.....for open bowls I would go longer but I’m a bit of a fan of the latter option so I went for the shorter board….

Overall….you will hear lots of different opinions and lots of guys will totally recommend that you should always go longer…..I don’t necessarily disagree with them and in a lot of cases that is true but I think that if you take the time consider the points above you will feel a lot more comfortable with the decision you make. Cheers...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:39 pm 

I am 170 lbs., in Colorado, and I ride a 168 Backcountry as my everyday splitboard. For powder I would even think about moving up to the 172. I do not like short boards and the minimal edge contact they have; I never ride anything shorter than 166. I think the 161 is really going to be on the small and soft side for you.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:54 pm 

Just posted something similar on the other current thread..

I really enjoyed numbernine's reply. I've always enjoyed shorter boards more, simply because my riding style is a bit on the Agro side. I pretty much live for trees, cliffs, fast knarly turns at high speed, riding in scary places (like glaciers) and I like to build kickers and huck off stuff. Now, all that being said I also live for backcountry stashes.

For me it was a huge debate about what length board to get. Since my finances won't allow me to buy 2 splitboards right now, I went with a 161 Mojo as a good happy ground, and because I got a sweet deal. I've had several ppl tell me that the 166 is too planky feeling if you're less than 195-200lbs..

It all comes to personal preference, but I find that you don't actually need a super long board to ride pow like a ganster. Its more about the board shape and flex. I've ridden so many deep days on a 157 or 159 twin, that my beliefs about "power boards" have totally changed (riding switch in pow on a twin is my new obsession). The only time that I find myself wanting a much longer board (referring to my 157) is taking drops into super deep snow; rag-dolling becomes a big issue if the nose sinks...

Also, I've heard nothing but AWESOME reports on the Priors. So yeah, its up to you but I'd probably get a 161 instead of a 166+. It will just be lighter and more playful...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 pm 

Thanks for the well thought out replies guys. :thumpsup:

I like the idea of this shorter size for spring, but for a truly overall I decided I need something with just a bit more length to keep me up top as I will have only one split for at least this year. Its true the specs are close to a Malolo, but there is much less taper in a backcountry. Also, am I right in assuming the backcountry is stiffer than a Mojo?
So I let the 161 pass by, my gut told me those 5 cms will make me happy. Search continues...