Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shaun white?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:03 pm 

hey guys, anybody see this shaun white video on youtube? it's getting a bunch of views and is pretty sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Zoh2JC_XA

he was talking about it on jimmy fallon. there's a pretty awesome site w/ new tricks & stuff
http://www.shaunwhite.com/projectx/?fbid=M2lP7NjhGdj

Post subject: Re: shaun white?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:57 am 

The amount of man hours, and fuel consumption from the cats/heli/semis, those resources were just completly wasted on the gains of ONE person. It shows you how fame/money can get you anything you want.
Go build your pipes somewhere else, leave nature and the backcountry to people who can appreciate it.

That is a step in the wrong direction in my eyes. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:54 pm 

I'm with Chase on this one, it's blatantly excessive..... :shock:

While I'm always blown away by what this dude does, it seems he's a victim of over exposure and this just seems weird and sad. I almost feel sorry for him it's so over the top.

I mean he's gotten so much attention that at every televised competition almost seems like there's this uncomfortable tension with the other riders (skate or snow). Now this is sort of like, well fuck it I'll just take my toys and go off by myself in the backcountry.

Weird.... :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 pm 

Why does he need such a controlled environment in the the backcountry? The best part of being in the backcountry is that it's wild and unpredictable. Seems like a pretty lame idea but I guess it looks good on film and will sell lots of useless energy drinks to kids and that's what's important.

Three thumbs down! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:38 pm 

shaun.. button up your shirt a bit... jeezus..

he's good, but isn't it almost like the spoiled kid getting his own toy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:19 am 

I feel a sudden urge to buy redbull and go rape some wildlife

that foam pit thing is obscene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 am 

Totally excessive and dirty. Feels like Vegas to me.

Don't blame Shaun White though, its the dumbasses who buy the products. I guess he's not totally off the hook but he's definitely not the driver. JJ is in his mid thirties and only recently got a conscious. At least enough of one to take big financial risks.

Would you say no to unlimited heli use in a private zone in Alaska.....and get paid?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 am 

I would turn down the heli gig.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
I feel a sudden urge to buy redbull and go rape some wildlife

....that is just straight up hilarious......

Snurfer wrote:

you are a better man than i......i'm all about saving the planet and everything but seriously...a private heli and your getting paid to cruise around in it and hit the biggest sickest lines of your life....i would sell my car, ride my bike, give up meat and never turn the heat on in my apartment for the rest of my life just to offset the carbon for an opportunity like that.....did i mention that i have a bit of OCD when it comes to riding...ha...cheers...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 pm 

Snurfer wrote:

Quote:
you are a better man than i......i'm all about saving the planet and everything but seriously...a private heli and your getting paid to cruise around in it and hit the biggest sickest lines of your life....i would sell my car, ride my bike, give up meat and never turn the heat on in my apartment for the rest of my life just to offset the carbon for an opportunity like that.....did i mention that i have a bit of OCD when it comes to riding...ha...cheers...

Oh I know what you mean... Seriously, if I were 20 years younger I'd probably say hell yeah I'd do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 pm 

ouchhhh guys. cmon if red bull was like, "let me build you a sweet ass halfpipe where you can practice ridiculous tricks" would you really turn it down?

pricey? hell yeah. but did you see the double back rodeo?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:41 am 

The problem is not even that this sweet ass halfpipe is in the middle of nowhere, they shipped the box of foam from tahoe on wide load trucks, they need a fleet of like 47109 snowmobiles to drag one snowboarder up the hill, etc etc.

The way that they portray the over-the-top production as a good thing, it doesn't actually contribute anything of value (i'm pretty sure a private half pipe could have been constructed somewhere where you don't need a helicopter to scout and another helicopter to film the first one).

I'm sure the actual impact of this project was nothing compared to what a large ski resort does, perhaps even in a just a week, but the fact that it's in such bad taste is what makes it annoying, they could have at least tried to seem like they're making some environmentally conscious decisions.

Lastly, this is not targeted at thinking adults. The 13 year olds whose parents are paying for all of this stuff are the ones being trained to think that this is awesome, and they probably buy into that very easily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:55 am 

nothingmuch wrote:
The problem is not even that this sweet ass halfpipe is in the middle of nowhere, they shipped the box of foam from tahoe on wide load trucks, they need a fleet of like 47109 snowmobiles to drag one snowboarder up the hill, etc etc.

The way that they portray the over-the-top production as a good thing, it doesn't actually contribute anything of value (i'm pretty sure a private half pipe could have been constructed somewhere where you don't need a helicopter to scout and another helicopter to film the first one).

I'm sure the actual impact of this project was nothing compared to what a large ski resort does, perhaps even in a just a week, but the fact that it's in such bad taste is what makes it annoying, they could have at least tried to at least seem like their making some environmentally conscious decisions.

Lastly, this is not targeted at thinking adults. The 13 year olds whose parents are paying for all of this stuff are the ones being trained to think that this is awesome, and they probably buy into that very easily.

Exactly.. :thumbsup: