I've got a pair of old Kastinger PMB's that are on thier last legs. A perfect opportunity to try some modiifcations. I am open to any suggestions people might have. "Get a pair of AT boots" is not a usefull suggestion btw. I'm trying to stiffen the down hill ride w/o losing the ease of ascension.
I have used and will use Koflach degres however I'm going to expirement w/ the Kastingers.
I'll be using Burton Matrix 4 liners in them. Before Burton went thermofoldable these were thier stiffest liners. Very good shape for a 2004 vintage.
Regular strap bindings with Burton GT power wings and probably a booster strap.
Mods I plan to make now:
- Replace laces with velcro power straps
- Add onto the cuff to make it higher and stiffer.
- eventually pop the rivets and try a new cuff. Suggestions for material or a replacement? e.g. folks used to put rollerblade cuffs on teleboots.
- maybe try a stiff cuff but put some bushing in the lower and allow the cuff some play.
- A method of adding resistance to the forward flex. I'm looking at my new snowblades (teaching my daughter to ski) and there is a highback lock mechanissm. I'm thinking either some velcro patches or some very stout elasticized material.
One thing that I used to do before I got an AT boot set up, was to ride with Koflach PMB's, with a Garmont tele liner that had an incorporated powerstrap at the cuff, that stiffened up the boot quite a bit.
I like this set up alot, mainly because I was able to use step in crampons, and it was a cheaper alternative to AT boots. The ride was OK, and quite surfy on lower angle stuff. On the steeps, it was not as secure as my actual snowboard boots, not as responsive as the AT boot/Mtn plate combo I ride these days.
_________________ "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
soooo... any progress? i also have a set of kastinger pmb's that im trying to mod the top half of a soft boot onto.
i started out using the back of a nordica rear entry ski boot affixed at the rivet with a big t nut and bolt. there is a ledge at the bottom of the boot back that would sit against a cut down piece of aluminum angle i had bolted to my heelcup. this worked great for heelside turns, but i still had too much flex going to toe side.
i used my vans liners. i definitely need different liners, perhaps i'll try the tele liners that otto mentions if i could find any.
but i'm considering riveting the uppers of my old vans boots on some how also...
anyway just wonderin if you had anything put together.
_________________ Libtech Emmagator 165 (retired) Never Summer Legacy 161 dynasplit