Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Down Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 am 

Hey i'd like to get some feedback regarding down jackets and touring in the backcountry.
I've seen it mentioned in another post about sleeping bags and wearing your down jacket to keep warm etc.

Do you guys wear down jackets out on split trips in backcountry? i have nice new Burton AK down gore tex jkt but i fear it wont be any good for touring and layering will be the way to go,i live in Whistler and will be mainly around here,Duffey and Callaghan.

Thanks in advance,Gav

Post subject: Re: Down Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:24 am 

for trips other than quick laps at the local pass I usually take either a down (north face nuptse) or synthetic (Mammut Stratus hoody) jacket along. Its nice if you plan on hanging out anywhere for more than a couple minutes. Or if shit hits the fan and you had to spend the night the down would be a necessity. Since your down is waterproof it should be good for the whistler area. As far as touring with it, Ive only worn mine a couple times as its just too damned hot for any kind of exercise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 am 

I'm still amazed when I think back to the morning of my first split trip. There I was three layers, plus a huge puffy down jacket on, shivering in the Alta parking lot. Later, only minutes into my first tour I'd already stripped down to a long sleeve base layer and remained that way for the rest of the days skinning.

As it turns out, with the exception of it puking snow, or rain I almost always start of with a base layer, and a super lite vented biking/running type jacket (yes its cold but it doesn't last if you get yer but on the trail). The puffy and shell stay in the pack. Shell for the transition and ride, and puffy for insurance.

YMMV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:05 pm 

Hey thanks for the input guys :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm 

Down is almost always a little too warm for me to skin in.

However- needs to be in the pack for an overnight, or anywhere with a standstill (on belay, cooking, etc.)

In case any one might be interested- I got this one last year, and never used it:

NEW, with tags. welded seams (no needle holes), goose down, hidden face mask, removable 'monkey paws', waist gaiter, all out, top of the line snowboard specific down. (Burton Continuum, Hazel Green, Size L)

Retails $360. All reasonable offers welcome. 100% of all proceeds will support split tours! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:39 am 

My puffy is one of my most valued pieces of gear. I almost always have it in my pack. It's great for transitions or safety meetings at the top of a windy peak after you are covered in sweat, and good to have if something goes wring and you are out longer than expected. I'm going to experiment this season with lightening my pack by carrying just the puffy, and hiking in a base layer with my super thin Mountain Hardware windproof shirt (another item I really like).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:08 pm 

I always pack a synthetic fill jacket in my pack (Patagonia Fire, no longer made, DAS Parka is a nice choice). I rarely need the jacket, but it is nice insurance and good to put on if I stop for a break. I require my partners to bring similar jackets as well. Imagine an injury in the backcountry that would require an evac, it can happen to anyone. It is really easy to get hypothermia in winter when one is immobilized waiting on a heli or snowmobile rescue. It is important that people have enough gear to keep from dying in a worst case scenario.
A spine injury can require that the victim remain immobile and wait for rescue, even just a couple of miles from a road a rescue can take awhile to get there.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm 

Yeah - layers are the way to go and a lot of people (myself included) consider a down layer (or synthetic equivalent) an essientially piece of safety gear.

Last season I got this wonderful, awesome Montbell ultralight puffy:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0001M.html

It wieghs 7.3 ounces and packs down to the size of a softball. Great on it's own, but fits under the outer shell layer for extra warmth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:45 pm 

I've got a Mammut Ambler that I carry most of the time. I've also got a Patagucci Down Sweater that I carry if it's not verry cold and I want to go really light. Like everyone else has said, unless you have really bad circulation you will be way too hot skinning in a puffy. If I have anything over my normal baselayer gear it's nothing more than a shell and even then I've got it unzipped and all of the vents open.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:42 pm 

check out montbell. lightweight, high quality down and relatively inexpensive compared to other jackets with the same tech specs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 pm 

BTW, one advantage of a synthetic jacket is that it can be worn on top of a shell, even when wet. A non-waterproof down jacket would require off the shell and putting it back on over the down. Waterproof down jackets ones tend to be really heavy/bulky.

Down is nice for winter camping (warmer/lighter), but as a safety measure i think synthetics make a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:15 am 

I can also recomend the montbell products I am very happy with my puffy pants and jacket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Yeah - layers are the way to go and a lot of people (myself included) consider a down layer (or synthetic equivalent) an essientially piece of safety gear.

Last season I got this wonderful, awesome Montbell ultralight puffy:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0001M.html

It wieghs 7.3 ounces and packs down to the size of a softball. Great on it's own, but fits under the outer shell layer for extra warmth.
carlo wrote:
check out montbell. lightweight, high quality down and relatively inexpensive compared to other jackets with the same tech specs.
aksltxlt wrote:
I can also recomend the montbell products I am very happy with my puffy pants and jacket

Agreed, the montbell Ex Light Down is super light and super warm. I carry it on most tours, but never tour up with it as I run hot. I was considering the Patagonia Primo Down the first year it came out, but the price went from $250 to $600 after the first year. :scratch: Cool idea of a waterproof down jacket, but the pricepoint has gotten way out of control :roll: