Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Serow vs. Driver X??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:44 pm 

So I've just purchased a Voile Mojo 166. Pretty stoked. I have already decided that if multiday tours are on the agenda I will be using my Lowa mountaineering boots due to I'll be touring MUCH MUCH more than I'll be riding and the warmth and waterproofing that boot is nice piece of mind in the AK backcountry IMO.

I will getting some Spark Fuse bindings (hopefully as a Christmas present) so with that in mind. If I am planning on just day tripping for multiple runs up and down the mountain which boot would better serve me. I realize the Serow is slightly less $$$, but at this point I'd rather be comfortable than skimp by on a lesser boot. I'm open to other soft boots as well if you can suggest a good one that might suit my needs. Not quite ready to take the jump to AT boots though.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Serow vs. Driver X??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 pm 

Can't speak for the Serow (and thought Burton stopped making them).

The Driver X is a nice boot. Its pretty stiff and as much as re-threading new laces was a pain in the ass (only after three seasons of use). I hope to never pull on traditional boot laces again.

The driver x wears pretty warm and sweaty on my feet and I've yet to do an over nighter with them. It probably wouldn't be very pleasant, but cant say for sure. The weight is nice, as is the Vibram sole. They fit my narrow feet well with with little, or no heel lift (if sized properly), and provide excellent board response.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:04 pm 

Snurfer Thanks for your quick response. Yeah the Serow is discontinued (hence the better price), which also had me worried that there is a reason Burton decided to quit making them. Looks like the Driver Xs would run me about $200. Should be a pretty sweet setup though I imagine. Well back to reading old threads to further reasearch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:08 pm 

I have been riding the serow boots for 2 years now. My favorite boots to date. I just got a new pair on ebay for a great deal... Will be using these for the next 2 years as my old ones are shot now. These things are the best, get em' while you can! And if you can find a size ten on the internet PLEASE let me know!, im' trying to stockpile!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:38 am 

Just to clarify, the Serow is not discontinued, it's just only sold in Japan.

It was and is a Japanese-specific boot, with a Japanese fit = slightly wider.

They can be found online if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:44 am 

neilprovo wrote:
I have been riding the serow boots for 2 years now. My favorite boots to date. I just got a new pair on ebay for a great deal... Will be using these for the next 2 years as my old ones are shot now. These things are the best, get em' while you can! And if you can find a size ten on the internet PLEASE let me know!, im' trying to stockpile!!!!

I just picked up a pair here for $111

They are normally $140 on this site, but enter FALL20 into the promo code to knock off another 20%.

http://www.shoesteal.com/Shopping/Produ ... pg=5042249

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:05 pm 

Looks like you've already made your choice but I will say that I've done a four day tour in my Driver Xs in the Sierra with temps hovering around freezing the first day (rain) then turning colder and colder (for the Sierra, night low was just above single digits). I usually sweat like a pig in my boots but I actually did alright with very thin liner socks during the day and then drying the inner boot in my sleeping bag by wearing them (on the cold night) or just between my legs.

Interested in your experience with the Lowas on the descent. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:24 am 

Late to this party but just wanted to add that I used the Serow most of last season, and the Driver X the season before that. They're pretty similar with the Serow being a little more flexible. Both have the Vibram sole. The Serow has a nice design that is super clean and simple, which I like. If I could find another pair in my size I'd be stocking up on them (US 11 if anyone happens to see em around...)! This year I'm trying a pair of last year's SLX's that I got on closeout. They also have a Vibram sole, and seem to be kinda in between the Driver X and Serow in terms of stiffness. The stiffness of the Driver X is nice when you need it, but sometimes overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm 

jimw wrote:
If I could find another pair in my size I'd be stocking up on them (US 11 if anyone happens to see em around...)!

If you don't mind running the Green/White ones there are still size 11s for sale at the link I posted above.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 pm 

I just got my hands on next years Driver X's and have tested them with a few overnight tours. They slip on rather easily if you keep them loose the night before and I noticed I get no heel lift while riding. But the thing Im most stoked on is they have revamped the toe section so it is much stiffer. I have already done quite a bit of kickstepping and unlike previous seasons my toes haven't payed the prices and thats in firm conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:01 pm 

alaska_lanche wrote:
jimw wrote:
If I could find another pair in my size I'd be stocking up on them (US 11 if anyone happens to see em around...)!

If you don't mind running the Green/White ones there are still size 11s for sale at the link I posted above.

Ooh, thanks, I didn't check the sizes in the other color!