Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (Voilè plate) Vs Bomber Vs Catek pieces?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:55 am 

after a lot of years with soft snowboard boots now I’ve got a pair of dynafit tlt 4 evo to try hard boot splitting…
I’m trying to modify an old snowpro binding but I’m not sure of the result….
So I’m considering the three (two) options of the object…I’m orientated on bomber (more reliable than Voilè, I think) or catek pieces (that however have their “mounting and adjustment problems”….)
Any experience-based suggestion?
thanks

Post subject: Re: (Voilè plate) Vs Bomber Vs Catek pieces?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:35 am 

Bomber will be the most "bomber" and easiest to set up. I use Catek toe and heel pieces direct mounted to the Voile slider plate-this set up is also bomber and results in a lower boot position in relation to the board, but there is no adjustment so you must get the mount right for your boot size and centering. With the Catek toe and heel pieces direct mounted you probably cannot fit boots any larger than US 10.5. I am using 28.0 Dynafits (Zzero 3 Cs, modded). To mount the Cateks you will have to open up the holes in the Voile plate a little to match the Catek spacing, and the nuts may have to be filed a little to clear the Voile pucks.
The Voile toe and heel pieces make me nervous, but those who use them seem to have no problems-they are a lot higher off of the board than a direct mount-I prefer to get as low to the board as I can. The Voiles have a fair bit if elasticity in them, whereas the Cateks and Bombers provide a very solid connection between boot and board-I prefer getting flex out of the boot itself, as opposed to flex in the boot/binding connection.
Note that with a light hard boot all these setups can achieve a lower overall weight than Sparks and a good softboot.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:19 am 

thanks barrows, you've already told me about your setup in the other topic....maybe one of the best with hard boots
do you know the weight of one of your binding (voilè plate + pin + catek pieces + screws + t-nuts)?

Other experiences from others splitters?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 pm 

This has been my set-up for the last 5+ years, can't remember the year they came out. Dynafit, MLT's (lace up) and voile mtn. plates.
I pair this up with a couple DIY splitties, light boards 164's. This makes for a very light set-up. Super fun fast, they climb incredibly well skinning or booting up steeps. My style is more long and fast, relatively mellow snowboard mountaineering, all year long no matter what the conditions and the binding seems to hold up well in all conditions. Aside from your normal drops I did lap a favorite goal post kicker/rock drop and they held up well. They are manageable on the down, slower response than I would prefer. In pow I can't feel a difference from even my soft boot set up.
If I could dial in my set-up a little better I would get a slightly stiffer boot (I think they all are these days) and stronger binding like the bombers or even better the Dynafit toe and Cateks set up, Barrow is describing. You will sacrifice a little weight but in the past few years I have come to question how dependent my plates are especially on committing stuff. The voiles are cheap 60$ I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm 

I've been using Voile's Mtn plate for a couple of years now, and just starting using them much more last season. In board mode, they ride great. I use old Scarpa Lasers, they're medium flex. I actually like the extra bit of flex that I get from the Mtn plates, because otherwise it would just be too stiff. The flex from leaning forward toward the nose, or leaning back toward the tail is what I like, because I feel like I have more control rather than the board and boots controlling me.
It does make me a little nervous though, as Barrows said. The flex seems to be increasing with minute wear on the plastic clip piece. Now I'm considering bombers, but just considering.
I'll be using dynafit toe pieces for touring, because with the Mtn plates my toe hits the heel puck on one side,and limits heel lift. The only thing I'm worried about is skiing down with the dynafit toe piece, because I ski down in split mode a good bit. For this I'll mount a dynafit heel. two in one!
Yea it'll suck to carry the plate for the down, but they're really not that heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 am 

I've been running the same Mtn Plate set up going on 9 seasons (?) with no durability issues at all. I don't huck huge. I'm big (6'2" @ 240lbs.) and old (42). I do put in a lot of vert. Many of you know I average about 4,500-6,500 a day 140+ days a season. I ran Lasers for a lot years then they blew up on me, hucking :lol: . I've been running Scarpa Spirit 3's the last 2 seasons. I really prefer them over the Lasers.

I also don't think I would like the absolute stiffness of the Bombers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:48 pm 

Enyro:

I have not weighed the slider plate/Catek combo yet; I also have a Burton raceplate direct mount set up. The Burtos direct mounted to the slider plate are definitely lighter than the Cateks, as the Cateks use larger diameter bails. Problem was the Burtos do not interface very well with the heel of my Dynafits, and the toe levers (plastic) have developed some scary looking cracks-metal toe levers on the Cateks are much more reassuring when making turns on steep slopes above 300' cliffs. Send me an e-mail and I'll reply with weights next time at home with my scale:
barrowswdeg@aol.com
I'm just afraid I'll forget other wise. I am not worried about breaking the slider plates in ride mode, and do not use them for touring at all. I just make sure to inspect them closely every day of riding, and will replace if any cracks show.
I would love to see someone come up with some lighter toe and heel pieces for direct mount use, titanium bails could definitely save some weight, and toe and heel pieces could be designed for direct mount with holes to match the Voile slider plate.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:13 am 

thanks
yesterday I finished the mods to the snowpro
Now I'm waiting the snow to test them

Anyway ...I don't know if the bindings cantings are a problem or not in touring mode.....maybe putting the thicker side of the binding on the board sidecut side you can have more edge keeping on hard snow...

(sorry for my english...I hope you'll understand..)