PJ, I don't know for sure, but I think there will be reasonably close areas for tent camping. The end of the road is next to the Trumbull Lake CG, and even though it's not open, there should be flat snow there. Thunderstorms are a possibility, so be prepared. If it gets really really bad, there's always Bridgeport or Lee Vining to retreat to.
I am no ringleader, mtnrider. I've just been there recently so I'm trying to help.
I've got a super kewl rental minivan since my car's at the bodyshop, so I'm sleeping in it. But I'm bringing a tent too in case. Parking will be in a single file, I guess.
Some unlikely but possible problems this weekend.
- No restroom facilities - buried up to the eaves in snow (known fact)
- Not enough parking, so some may have to shuttle in close.
- Neighbors in the nearby cabins complaining to the authorities about us.
- Some random authority passing by and deciding we shouldn't be there. People camp there often but usually there's a parking lot open.
- Thunderstorms ("slight chance" says NWS) - prolly snow up that high but it could rain, maybe lightning.
Civilization is close, so nothing is that big of a deal.