Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never Summer vs Voile price
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 am 

Guys, I want to buy my first split and I see huge price differences between brands.
Besides Prior and Venture, Is the NS worth $1300 compared to the $895 Mojo? Is there so much more tech and quality diff? Both include the Voile kits...C'mon..$400?

:rock: Las Lenas, Argentina
Riding Arbor A-Frame 166 and 170 and getting the new Rossi Jones 167 with magnatraction..

Post subject: Re: Never Summer vs Voile price
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:51 am 

I think the price hasn't got much to do with being "worth it", more about production costs (different manufacturing process, different styles, licensing fees, etc).

Some people prefer the NS boards, some people prefer the Voile boards.

For me the difference was definitely worth it, I like a damp stiff board and the Mojo was just not really my style. The person I borrowed the Mojo from didn't really like my board at either.

Quality wise they are both good, but intuitively I would guess the NS will probably last longer since it's so burley. I think that tradeoff is more because of the weight, not build quality or anything like that.

Update: With respect to the other boards, make sure when comparing prices to the whole package into consideration. Some boards come with skins, hardware and crampons. In that respect the Mojo is exceptionally cheap because it comes with everything included.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm 

Keep in mind the Mojo is Voile's splitboard. Since they own the interface system they don't pay a licensing fee for their boards. That alone jacks the price $300-$400, maybe more. Neversummer's are definitely burlier boards. I've had my Summit for 2 1/2 seasons now and it is in great condition. My Voile SD that I used for a season and half looks like crap compared to it. Riding the same terrain, same time of season and all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm 

Thanks! I prefer also stiffer boards. But is the new NS Summit stiffer than the Mojo? NS says on their site that stiffness is 6/10, almost the same as the Burton S-series (5/10)....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:04 pm 

Let me put it this way: I thought I really sucked at doing ollies. When I tried the Mojo it turned out I wasn't the problem ;-)

The Titan is stiffer than the Summit, but IIRC not by too much. 6/10 is just a made up number and I doubt each manufacturer's scale has nothing to do with anyone elses.

However a lot of the Titan's feel compared to the Mojo is not just stiffness, it's also very damp and just plain heavy, it really demands more powerful movements to maneuver (which oddly enough I kind of enjoy). HULK SMASH!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 am 

The Summit is almost undoubtedly stiffer than the Mojo. On the Burton scale it would probably get a 7 or an 8. It'll be a better powder board too. Especially with the new rockered nose this season. It will weigh a bit more, but that is more due to sandwich vs the Cap construction that Voile uses. Sandwich construction is way more durable and you can generally repair blown edges, that sort of thing. Cap construction is lighter, less durable, and you bust an edge and it's pretty much done.

If you are doing super long tours, the Mojo might be the better board. As less weight = more energy for the day. If you are doing more laps, or lot's of sketchy terrain, I'd go Neversummer all the way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:26 pm 

my never summer splits have longer lifespans than any solid deck i owned before i got turned on to ns... my first ns solid deck still rides fine, tho the metal edges are cracked, the sidewalls are indestructable, and its bin thru a few seasons as a rock board in the dry ranges... thats as long a life span as the previous 5 boards i rode, all put together. my latest solid deck, a t5, is just starting to soften up, its coming into its own as a jib stick after 3 seasons.... a big burley badaz jib stick sure but theres nuthin wrong with that.
i busted a ns splitter on its 3rd season, i was super surprised and they were too, but bentleys fixing it up now and im sure it'll be all good to go for a long ways still... that might be a bigger hassle if you live in argentina but chances are good you'll never have that issue.
i consider it largely an issue of waste reduction.... and performance goes a long way too.
jus sayin.