Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driver X inner lace harness?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:59 pm 

Has anyone considered removing the inner lace harness on the Driver X? I am considering doing this to make it easier to remove/replace the inner boot, and with the idea of replacing the stock inner boot with an Intuition overlap liner for better fit. I run my ankle strap tight enough to keep my heel locked, and am thinking that the inner lace harness is really extraneous to how I use the boot, and just gets in the way.
Has anyone tried this?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Driver X inner lace harness?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:47 pm 

I have not thought about this. But I am considering getting intuition liners to use both in my old NorthWaves and Driver-X's. Keep use updated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:58 pm 

I was just on the intuition liner site yesterday and was thinking about looking into new liners for my Drivers too. I'll have try to go check them out in person sometime but I'd love to hear other people's experience with them. Are they really that much more comfortable and superior to regular liners? The shells of most soft boots aren't still that great anyway...

I've tried the Malamutes and they didn't fit me well, the Drivers are the best so far but they are a bit too narrow in the toes for me so I just keep the bottom laces loose. I just wish soft boot makers would size and fit their boots more like hiking boot manufacturers or even ski boots...

Anyone have any other boot suggestions other than the Malamutes or Drivers?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 am 

Don't remove your inner heel hold harness.
You can use Inuition Liners with the harness in. I wouldn't want to do it without them.
This will be the 5th season in Burton Driver X and my 3rd season with Inuition Power wrap liner. They are better in every possible way.
Their riding performace and warmth being the best benefits.
We still need a better boot for mountaineering but that's another issue....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 am 

I know I am racking my brains about a better boot all around too without going with hardboots... although like I said I haven't ridden hardboots so they might just be the answer. Many feel that for true mountaineering goals hardboots are the only option. I can understand this given their proven quality and ease of crampon compatibility etc.

I talked to a cobbler in the San Jose area last year about the lack of quality in footwear in general and he showed some interest in building a boot. He had tried to stretch the toe box of my Drivers for me but we were both skeptical given the materials used (it didn't work rubber and weird vinyl doesn't stretch well!). He had built a cowboy and hiking boots from scratch in the past but said that the market just wasn't there for him to continue but the boot project seemed to interest him.

I never followed up but it still intrigues me. I just don't have the mountaineering experience to really understand the needs fully first hand to even begin to get into it. But it really interests me... the last boot thread to really touch on this was awesome: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a

Maybe someday I'll get the balls, experience, capital and intense dedication to dive into this. I wouldn't hold my breath though!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:05 am 

I just got intuition alpines put in my 08 Driver X's. I kept the inner-lacing for extra heel lock. It works great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:10 am 

Quote:
He had built a cowboy and hiking boots from scratch in the past

a vibram soled, steel shanked cowboy boot with a stacked heel? That I'd like to see!