The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Driver X lace issue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 pm 

I avoid those speed zone/boa lacing at all cost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:50 pm 

I had the same issue of the lace fraying. It was sent back to Burton and fixed. Supposedly, the local ski shop now has the equipment to fix in house. We'll find out this season I bet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:03 pm 

I have a different question relating to the Driver boots.
Anyone else out there have issues with wet feet?
I'm on the west coast so wet is always an issue out here but these boots suck up more water than any I've ever owned.
They're especially bad when I'm touring. I've been on overnighters where I've taken the liner out and I can actually wring the water out of them. I suspect it might be getting at the bottom of the lace flap above the tow cap when snow melts on top of the boot and just runs into the boot.
Anyone else? any solutions, ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:37 pm 

Yeah my feet get wet too in my '08 Drivers. I have found that for me it's mostly from sweating. I wear a very thin synthetic sock for warmer spring days and that helps a lot. I did a four day three night tour in Yosemite and managed the moisture alright using the thin socks and then sleeping in the booties or putting hot bottles in them to help dry them.

Also I had a pair of '07 Burton Hails where the sole DID detach at the toe and water would POUR into the boot when I would put my foot under the board on the lift. The snow would melt on the topsheet and then run right into the boot. There it was obvious that it was that as cold water would hit my foot!

So my point I guess would be verify for sure that it's actually coming from the inside out rather than from sweating. Is the outer boot soaked too? You could try as an experiment to put a plastic bag between your socked foot and the liner or the liner and the outer boot just to try to isolate where the water is coming from. Of course you will sweat like hell but it could help to figure out what's up.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought the same thing but I have had spring days when my feet are definitely sweating and the boots aren't soaked.Other days in wet snow I may not even get warmed up that day and the boots are soaked, I mean really soaked. I don't think there's any delamination issues, I think the design of the material where the lace terminates above the toe, funnels any melting snow into the boot. I bought some really huge gators at the end of last season. I still need to add another inch or so onto the nose of them to cover the lace but they do go over my boot so that's my strategy for the coming season. Probably won't work and they're a pain in the ass but I'm not ready to replace these boots yet and other than the wet feet they're the best boot I've owned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 pm 

What year Drivers do you have? My '08s have a gusseted tongue to prevent water from flowing in there easily. Although I am skeptical of just how well the material used by Burton would stop water for any amount of time...

Larger Photo

This is what I had to do to my '07 Hails to keep them from leaking after the sole came off near the toe:

Larger Photo

It worked ok but I ended up ditching them because after riding the Drivers for a bit and then trying to use the Hails again I just realized how crappy the Hails really were for my style of riding! Way too much flex and the liner was not nearly as good since I had much more heel lift. It was just crazy much more effort it took to carve compared to the Drivers! The first time I used the Drivers I was really confused because all my energy seemed to be transferred right to the board! Once I figured it out it was AWESOME. And since then I've been dying to get a hard boot setup especially since I have ski mountaineering aspirations!

Anyway just had to rant about the Drivers... I do wish they were made from more breathable, high quality materials but they're pretty damn close to the perfect boot for me!

Back to enjoying my Saturday morning home! Gotta get on the MTB and get movin' though!

Larger Photo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:18 pm 

I believe mine are 07's. They have a kind of diagonal cut overlapping piece at the base of the lace/tongue. I believe this is where the water funnels in. I'll try to get around to posting a photo.
Otherwise I totally agree with your opinion on the Driver's and I've also been considering hard boots. I just haven't had the chance to try a hard boot setup before I invest my money. Probably won't be something I get into very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:40 pm 

Well the laces on my drivers have been getting worse by the day. The last few trips I've been a little worried about whether they would hold up. So today I decided to tackle the replacement. The laces cost five bucks a piece from a local shop and they offered to do the install for me but I opted to do it at home. Having read this thread before hand I was prepared for a debacle. But using fishing line as a leader, it didn't take more than a few minutes to do each lace. The ease of adjustment with the driver lacing system makes this bit of maintenance no big deal IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:02 pm 

It's a love hate relationship with my Driver X's. I've replaced two laces on mine. I used a spring hook on the lower knot, and it was still a PITA. The fishing line sounds like a good trick for lacing them though. You guys should ask/demand free warranty laces instead of paying for them. Boulder Ski deals has hooked me up with 4 or 5 laces so far for free. The lace fabric is definitely a week point on these boots. I've just quit worrying about them breaking and ride them frayed- prbly have 50 days on frayed laces so far. It's only a few extra seconds to deal with bunching and unbunching the frayed in half sheath around the nylon cord. Besides if a lace did brake, it's not like it would ruin my day since there's still the inner boot lacing, one other external boot lace, and your snowboard straps to keep it tight.

I have cork footbeds, got the inner boot heat molded for my foot/toebox, and use the extra ankle bars for optimal fit. Just recently removed some of the lining from the inner boot because it was starting to give me a bunion on the outside of my foot near the pinky toe, and after 2 seasons in these boots no les??

Good points are they're stiff, warm, and I can wear them all day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm 

My laces just went the other day. Glad to see i'm not the only one with these problems. I'll try the tricks you guys suggested. Just need to get the replacement laces from Burton.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 pm 

I would like to thank this thread for talking me into sticking w/ malamutes. Tried some Driver's on the other day and that lacing system is failure waiting to happen way out in bfe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 pm 

I'd have to disagree how critical it really is as far as the concern over them failing when you're out in buttf#ck nowhere.
I've put three hard seasons on my boots and even though the laces were looking pretty worn at the end of last season I still haven't installed the replacement laces I bought, mostly because even if one of the laces failed it still wouldn't prevent me from riding. Each boot has an upper, lower and inner lace and they offer so much support that you could easily make do with one of the upper or lower laces failing. It would be an issue if I was unlucky enough to have both upper and lower break at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if the original worn out laces even make it to the end of this season, but I will likely change them before I head out on any multi-day trips. That said, I still have a major complaint with how much water funnels into these boots. Not just a pain in the ass, but actually a safety concern on overnight trips.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am 

So here's the deal on the laces, at least what I've learned with my driverx's.

the shop I bought them from is great, Underground in Breckenridge. The shop owner has replaced my laces twice now for free (warranty). This last time, the lace holders were worn out. So I sent them back to burton for warranty to see if they will replace them. I tried on some new boots, grabbed the lace pulls and pulled them straight up to tighten. The shop owner was like "what are you doing????". Apparently I've been pulling them through the guides wearing them out, both laces and guides. You have to be extra careful to pull them tight first, then pull them back into the lace holders. I don't know if I've described this perfectly, but overall, my laces and holds wore out after probably 40 rides just because I used them wrong... I now have a new pair of burton's that are holding up great...