Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 45L Packs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:42 pm 

PUNKY wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
Now that I have picked up a Deuter Guide 45+ to go with my Deuter Glide 35+ I will never, I repeat never carry the Anarchist pack again.
Does the guide pack have a dedicated pocket to put a shovel and probe? or how do you rig yours up? how is carrying your board in split mode all the time, or can it be carried as a board as well.

It doesn't have a dedicated shovel/probe pocket. The shovel can be carried on the back or the sides depending upon how you are carrying your board. The probe can be carried in the interior of the pack and accessed via a side zipper. Note that mine is a slightly older one with two rear compression straps allowing you to carry your split solid, or A-frame on the sides.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm 

Alright thanks.

Seems like no company Ive found yet makes the pack Im looking for. Maybe I should just lower my standards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 am 

So anyway lurking the internet last night came across the Osprey Kode 38. Looks like I will be getting that pack as it seems to fit my requirments the best.

Just now need to find a store in BC that carries it in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm 

Punky
Update on the Kode 38?
I'm in the market for a 35l to 40l pack. I was hoping for a panel loader put they're don't seem to be many in that volume range. I'm looking at the 38 so let me know what you think.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:25 pm 

I got a kode 38, and I'm really impressed. Everything about it is really well thought out and really well designed. Even when it's loaded up you can get at your shovel and probe or dry compartment really quick. Fits me perfect, distributes the weight really well, feels light, and it straps down to shred when it isn't full.

Peacefrog, it sounds like you know what you want, but for me the only issue is that the size isn't quite perfect. I find it too big as a daypack, and just a little bit too small for tenting. I bet it's perfect for a hut trip. If I did it again, I'd grab a kode 30, and and Variant 50. But overall, I'm really really impressed with osprey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:22 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Punky
Update on the Kode 38?
I'm in the market for a 35l to 40l pack. I was hoping for a panel loader put they're don't seem to be many in that volume range. I'm looking at the 38 so let me know what you think.

Thanks

I never got it. Ended up with the Deuter Freerider 30L. Great daypack to replace my older Dakine Helipro. Like Treetop I would like a larger pack, like a Variant for extended trips. I got a Deuter EH Guide 30+ that didn't work, and is too small to pack for trips with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 am 

For an overnight pack I have an Osprey Variant 52. So far this is the best larger pack I've used. It is designed for alpine climbing, so it is reasonably light, and simple. It is big enough to carry gear for a few nights, and technical gear, but still gets small enough for day use out of a basecamp (I remove the top pocket and leave it in camp). It carries a split in ski mode very well (A-frame) and can be modded to carry in board mode. It is hydration compatible, and otherwise has a large main bag, and an external back pocket (which works great for skins when yoyoing, and can also handle a shovel blade, and or crampons). The pack has a minimal (read lightweight) structure, but still carries comfortably when full of gear.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:23 pm 

^I figure the Variant 52 is the pack I should get for larger loads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm 

My vote is for the deuter guide 45+. I've had a chance to play with it and I'm highly impressed by their stuff. Its very well made and not that expensive.

As for not having "snowboard straps", this does kind of such. Although I'm finding more and more that I like to have my board in split mode and triangled over the top; it feels more secure, and if its super windy the board isn't there to act like a huge sail...

Although the BD Avalung packs are very nice. I just wish they had ice tool and ski pole attachments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:52 pm 

The deuter looks great, BUUUUT I really like/need the vertical carry. I wish I could find the old style that had that.
Anyhow, I was looking around and found this:
Anyone use DaKine packs?

http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/packs/snow/guide/

You can't see the vertical carry straps, but apparently they're there. They just tuck away. My only concern is it's in one size and I think it's geared toward average to larger users. I'm 5'9 145lbs so I think I may order this from backcountry.com and return if I don't like it. I'll give a review when I get it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm 

fustercluck wrote:
The Dakine Guide pack might work well for you. Lots of room, and you can rig up some of the outer straps to carry even more stuff. It will carry a board or skis very securely, as well as ice axes. Also has a nice separate pocket for shovel and skins (I also throw a med kit in there), and some smaller pockets inside and on the hip belt. I find it carries gear well, and keeps everything easily accessible, but it is overkill for a day pack, though it sounds like you've got that covered. The only thing I don't like is the flip top, as opposed to a zipper top, but it seems most packs this size go that route.

Lol, just saw this. Thanks Paul!
Well, I ordered one as there's really no risk with free returns at backcountry..fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm 

Has anyone tried the Arc'Teryx Silo 40 yet? Although I have not laid my hands on it yet, seems like it is right in there with the Osprey Kode 38 (they also make a Silo 30 that will compete with the Kode 30 and Dueter Freeride Pro.)

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Silo-40

I am surprised it hasn't come up in this discussion yet. Its $30 more than the Kode 38 as I would expect of anything with that brand name on it.

I would be interested in hearing reviews/opinions of anyone who has used it. Leaning toward putting down the extra money on one since my Arc'Teryx pants are God's gift to my legs!

Flip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 am 

I have the silo Arcteryx 40 and love it. I will be selling it though as I find it a little small for whiskey laden/rope carrying hut trips and will be going wil either the BCA ALP 40(had the older version and did not like it, too sloppy) but probably going with the Osprey Variant 52.