Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need help with my new mojo!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am 

Hi guys! Im starting with my new mojo161 splitboard and I have some questions.

1st of all, sorry about my english, Im from Bariloche, Argentine patagonia.

1)The skins come with a paper to cover the glue. I sow people with skins that come with a skin saver. And other people that just put the 2 skins together. No problem with that?
What could I use to make a skin saver, cos where I live is impossible to find it in a shop.
2) the skins are a litle wide and cover the edge of the board, and near the tail of the board it is an angle that I should cut. It is any special way to do it?
3) It takes me some time to fit the puck on the board with the angle that I want for my bindings!!! Thats the Voile Puck Alignment Guide works???

thanks for all!!

And if someone need information of this area just ask me!

Post subject: Re: need help with my new mojo!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm 

skin savers make it easier to separate the skins, they don't really protect the skins in any way. Sometimes if the glue is too strong (like with new skins) pieces of the skin savers even stick to the glue.

for trimming the skins there is a small white or grey tool (i can't remember) with a small notch that has a knife in it.

Watch the movie on Prior's website, they explain how to do this, and have a number of tips on how to align your pucks correctly as well.

Voile also has a video on youtube, but i think it doesn't cover skin trimming:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20 pm 

blech. i can't actually download the whole prior movie so I didn't confirm there's trimming in there. I do remember seeing it somewhere, and I think that's where I saw it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 am 

IMO, I wouldn't worry about trying to find skin savers. I personally do not use them and are just one more thing to keep track of. Pulling the skins apart can be a pain but really isn't that big of a deal.
If your skins didn't come with the special cutting tool, you can just use a razor blade, preferably held with a box cutter. Just adhere the skin to the ski and pull the blade along the sides letting the edges guide the blade and angle the blade towards the middle of the ski while you're cutting. I try to angle the blade in far enough so that the edges end up being exposed. Err on the side of too big when cutting, you can always cut more off if you need.