Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volcano Raid Round 2: part 3 Mcloughlin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:29 am 

After a long night of rest Jon and I were on our way to the Mt McLoughlin summit trail head. After packing up our gear and eating some quick snacks we were on the trail head around 10:00 with hopes that a later starting time would allow the higher elevated corn to soften. The McLoughlin trail was snow free for the first three miles then the occasional patch all the way up to the southern ridge.

Once we arrived at the southern ridge we finally got our first view of the summit proper and with an easy 3rd class scramble we found our way up to the high point of McLoughlin. The northern face of McLoughlin has over 3000 feet of exposure, couloirs and wide open faces so there were quite a few options. I chose to drop into the NE face which had some exposure for the first 500 feet then 1000 vert couloirs before entering the wide open apron for the final 1500 feet.

The eastern face of McLoughlin
Looking at the options on the North face
Looking East towards four mile lake from the summit
My line on the NE face

After riding down the NE face I down climbed through the dense dry forest an additional 1000 feet before reaching a trail that would take me to Four mile lake. The trail had received flood damage from earlier in the season so I was force to ford the creek multiple times through water ranging from ankle to knee deep. Mosquitoes hadn’t been a problem up in the alpine but unfortunately they were swarming around the multiple lakes I crossed along the way forcing me to bundle up in my coat trying not to expose any of my skin. Once arriving at four mile lake I to hiked 3.5 miles back to the trailhead were Jon’s truck was waiting.

Post subject: Re: Volcano Raid Round 2: part 3 Mcloughlin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 am 

Kyle Miller wrote:
After riding down the NE face I down climbed through the dense dry forest an additional 1000 feet before reaching a trail that would take me to Four mile lake. The trail had received flood damage from earlier in the season so I was force to ford the creek multiple times through water ranging from ankle to knee deep. Mosquitoes hadn’t been a problem up in the alpine but unfortunately they were swarming around the multiple lakes I crossed along the way forcing me to bundle up in my coat trying not to expose any of my skin. Once arriving at four mile lake I to hiked 3.5 miles back to the trailhead were Jon’s truck was waiting.

Damn dude, I'm in Ashland right now and only a lack of a partner/car issues (my wife needs the car if I'm gonna be off touring all day) prevented me from being on McLoughlin today....I'm so jealous!

Did you get a look at the N face? you can drop the top 500-600' before traversing over to the NE side (so I've been told).

Apparently the mosquitos at McLaughlin rival their Alaskan counterparts! Way to get after it for some late season stoke!

Post subject: Re: Volcano Raid Round 2: part 3 Mcloughlin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:41 am 

It did look like you could traverse but if Im correct it would be about 1500 feet down. I dont know if its rideable anymore when I did it there was wild exposure over a big cliff band and a 2 foot ribbion of snow getting you onto the NE face.

While the Mosquitos were bad they were nothing in comparison to Diamond Peak.

Hopefully the info Helps