Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hood>adams
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 pm 

Hood>Adams 06-06 and 06-07-09

Flew into PDX late fri eve and headed out to the parking lot at timberline lodge to car camp. I had decided on the south side of hood for the ease of access and high likelyhood of summiting and riding right from the summit. Drove out in light rain and fog which had me a little worried about conditons. Had I been in my home range I might have felt a little more at ease but being solo in a new place I was wondering how the weather would hold out.

Finally arrived at the lot around 2am and it was alive with skiers and climbers getting an early start under an almost full moon. It was clear up there so I felt relieved. I toyed with the idea of starting right away but needed the sleep. After taking care of businiess/paperwork I started around 7:30am, which was kind of late but oh well.

With plans of riding hood on sat and adams Sunday I should have waited for the lift to open and taken that to save some energy but then this was my 1st time there and I kind of felt like it would be cheating not to hike all the way.

It was a beautiful morning with clear skies and light winds. I followed the nicely groomed trail beside the resort passing a few climbers already on their way down.

Ended up meeting another splitter who is also an sb.com’er nybil or something like that. Good to meet you and skin up with you for a while!

Looking closely you can see what looks like an ant trail of people headed for the summit. Glad I didn’t start early and get caught up in that traffic!

Lots of folks at play all over this mtn. Even though I was alone I was never really alone. The clouds hung right around 6000ft all day.

A lone climber makes his way to the summit. I know why everyone does this route so early, as it warms up and faces south there is a pretty high risk of ice and rockfall.

In the crater, looking down into one of the fumaroles. By now mostly everyone had already gone down, so it was just me and this crow.

My reward at the top, looking north to see adams, motivating me for the next day’s adventure, plus the 5k + ride back to the car.

Looking down the steep north side at the eliot glacier. It looks pretty sweet and untracked right now.

Sorry no riding shots as I was alone, but it was a really long continuous ride back to the car. I was very stoked to have had such a good day for weather and to have accomplished my goal for the day. I’d love to return earlier in the year to ride all the way to govt camp in nipple deep pow! 

So in my excitement I took off down into town and got some food and a quick board tune up at the fuxi shop. That was such a silly scene. Being a splitter in that place I felt like a fish out of water, but they did an amazing job and had me taken care of quickly despite the crowd of patrollers in town for some kind of training workshop.

Then I headed out for the short, scenic drive over to Adams. I really enjoy the terrain up in that area its so different from what we have in eastern CA. I also really enjoyed checking out the different aspects of hood and definitely want to return to ride them.

This looked really appealing….

….as did this. Anyway I rolled into hood river and got more food, then out to trout lake to register, and on to the south climb TH. Just like everyone said it was 3 miles out, although I was hoping for a miracle, that it would be plowed or melted out further up but that was not the case.

Sunday was going to be another big day so I woke up around 3:30 but didn’t start till about 4:30. I was surprised to see it was already getting light. Also the road was mostly dry with some large snow patches so I didn’t skin. Some skier went running by me so that was my queue to start running too 

Anyway hit consistent snow right at the TH and skinned all the way from there. The weather on Sunday was more of an issue. It was cold and although it started sunny by 10 am it was getting foggy. Eventually around 10k ft I broke out of the clouds and had a sunny summit experience. I didn’t take too many pics since it was so foggy but here are a few.

The 1st real view of the sw chute. What an amazing line! Adams is one special place.

Again you could see an ant trail of people headed up the south climb.

Getting ready to drop into the abyss. Seems that folks were not riding or skiing the chute due to the clouds, and since it was cold people were doubting if it would be soft or not.

Just as I was ready to drop the clouds opened up a nice little sucker hole for me and I went in. It was perfect perfection! Nice and soft corn and not too tracked out.

Looking back up from about halfway down. Then things got interesting. It got foggy and poor vis but I kept riding down to about 5800. That was amazing! Then it was a bit of a tense traverse mostly split skiing through the forest hoping to run into the road. Just about when I started to think I was lost, viola, there was the road. Best part about the exit was I found this nice little winding canyon that really was the perfect exit and spit me out about 15 minutes from my car. I did have gps so if I had felt lost I would have started using it but there was no need. Well im very thankful to have had two great days up in the PNW, riding two big peaks in two states in two days. Again this year I gained even more respect for these places and the folks who play around these parts.

So after getting back to my car I was due back at the airport for a 9pm flight back to LA. I was so stoked from that ride and the adventure of the day I got in my POS rental and drove out all the way to hood river before I realized I had left my board at the TH. OH SHIT! So by then it was about 5:15. I ended up booking back there to the TH and was very very lucky to retrieve my board (I had left it behind a log so I don’t think anyone noticed it) but I missed my flight – which was the last for the eve. So anyway the moral of this story is make sure you have your f-ing board before you leave! 

Post subject: Re: hood>adams
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:00 pm 

Nice Tr Dave, wish i would have went :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:18 pm 

Nice work man! The weather window up here's been $hit lately - way to score. The northside of Hood is a fun place to pla (such a difference from the south side with all the people, etc.). Next time you're up give out a shout! Way to score on the SW Chutes :thatrocks:

Matt

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:36 pm 

Awesome trips! :clap: Nice that you did so well on the weather! As Stoudema says, it has really been unpredictable up here the last couple of weeks so to fly up and get both peaks is great! I had planned on Hood on Sunday, but ended up going on Monday with better weather forecast.

Like you, I got a late start and was alone on top. That was really cool. All of the climbers had already gone down. The current route seems pretty free of ice and rock fall, at least it was the day I was up there. Some days it is too late by 10 AM.

Just the previous Sunday I summitted and then rode the SW chutes on Adams. Definitely a classic. So great that you got the sucker hole and pulled it off. It is a pretty long split ski to get back to Morrison Creek CG down the drainage, but much better than traversing back to the South Route, then going down the road. My ascent route went straight up the drainage to hook up with the South Climb at Crescent Glacier. It works really well.

Snowdome (off the north side of Hood in your photos) is looking really nice. It got on the list for fairly soon when I got to see it from the Summit. What do you think Stoudema? Wy'east face is also a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:46 pm 

Nice work man
I wish I could have been there.
Im glad the ride down to Morrision creek went smooth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 am 

Both the Wy'East and Snowdome aspects look nice. I'd be up for either in a couple of weeks!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 am 

Right on Dave....way to tear it up on the volcanoes in recent weeks! :rock:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:56 pm 

Nice trip Dave...missing the flight and not the board is a MUCH much better option then vice versa...glad it worked out for you. Hiding it behind the log probably contributed to you leaving it as well as hiding it while you were gone.

Ever backed over a surfboard after a session? :oops:

Me neither! :? :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:48 pm 

Good leisure
Well executed
Best of times
Snow on a board
Crevasse!

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:13 pm 

Nice pictures and report!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 pm 

beautiful shots and way to score nice lines in this weird PNW spring!
But...dude...that picture with the crow coming out of the Devil's Kitchen
is down-right disturbing!
e

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:43 pm 

Nice Fullers! Always impressed with the huge solo missions you get done. Looks like you got good weather and snow conditions redemption. Stoked for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 pm 

I'm always impressed by your solo stuff and commitment too Dave. :headbang:

Way to score some classics!

ps. Re the board, that's why they call it dope. :)