Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 45L Packs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:20 pm 

Im in the market for a 45L bag that can be used for snowboarding and alpine accents and more. So far Ive narrowed my choices at a local shop to the BD predator, and the deuter guide 45+

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... futuraZero
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/predator.php

Both bags seem to have their pros and cons right now. Does anyone have any expereince with either one of these?

Both only carry in ski mode, (heli pro is for days/slackcountry) Also will ski straps be wide enough to carry a board in split mode?

(I wish the EH Guide was bigger than 30L:()

Also what packs are people using around this size? Pros/cons?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 45L Packs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 am 

PUNKY wrote:
(I wish the EH Guide was bigger than 30L:()

Standard Guide comes in 45+ size. You might PM yoda and ask him about the new offerings this coming season from Deuter.

I have a Deuter Glide pack that I absolutely love, great balance of performance/features and comfort. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:36 am 

If you're looking for specifically a 45+ ltr snow specific backpack then Deuter's Guide 45+ is currently still their best pack available for alpine endevors. I've loaded this pack up with my gear to see how it would work out. I was quite pleased and found that my split would fit in a variety of positions. I have not yet used this pack in the field, so I can't give you much feedback other than what I've heard from others that have used this pack. This pack would be perfect for those who prefer to carry their board via a-frame, but may want to have additional options if need be.

Note: I'm the Deuter rep for norther CA, so I'm well versed in the details of all of their packs.

I know this is a little off topic, but the only new snow specific pack coming out is Deuter's new Freerider Pro 30 which will be available this fall. This pack should be a hit amongst those who prefer a panel-loader verses a top-loader pack, but it's only in a 30ltr for men (there's a womens 28ltr version too). Here are the details...

Freerider Pro 30
The all new Freerider Pro Series offers several solutions
for organizing and carrying your winter backcountry
setup. Lash on your snowboard (split) under the
horizontal front straps, or carry skis (split) vertically, diagonally,
or as A-frame. The full-panel with heavy-duty zipper
allows access to the entire main compartment without
having to detach any of these. Also, the pack will move
with you with the Vari-Flex pivoting hip belt. Other
bonuses: burly Hypalon front; shovel head pocket; internal probe/handle sleeve;
fleece-lined goggle pocket; hip belt pocket; removable
helmet holder; removable snow-sit pad; hydration
compatibility; more...

Color: black or white/pine
Volume: 1850 in.3
Weight: 3 lbs. 15 oz.
Torso: 17.5-22”
MSRP: $149

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:51 pm 

The Dakine Guide pack might work well for you. Lots of room, and you can rig up some of the outer straps to carry even more stuff. It will carry a board or skis very securely, as well as ice axes. Also has a nice separate pocket for shovel and skins (I also throw a med kit in there), and some smaller pockets inside and on the hip belt. I find it carries gear well, and keeps everything easily accessible, but it is overkill for a day pack, though it sounds like you've got that covered. The only thing I don't like is the flip top, as opposed to a zipper top, but it seems most packs this size go that route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:14 am 

The BD pack has a cramp-on pocket, and a helmet pocket as well, while the Deuter is hydration compatable.

Probably the main thing is as they both carry skis on the side on the bag(not sure what the actual proper name for that style is) will those straps be wide enough to carry a split in split mode?

Thanks for the replies so far.

PS that smaller Dueter EH bag will probably replace the Heli-pro one day

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:41 pm 

Howdy,

I agree with mtn man that the 49L dakine guide pack could be a good choice. I use mine for a day pack as well. The compression straps shrink it down quite nicely when you don't have enough crap in it to fill it out. It might not be the lightest due to all the dingle bobs and do-dads that is has, however most of them are super useful. The back entry into the main pocket is a good feature as well. The waist strap pocket is perfect for easy access to a small camera, no excuses to not dig out the camera and take some pics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:29 pm 

+1 on the bd packs. two of my touring partners bought em last year and they seem really pleased with the performance. i believe they also come with an avalung option.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:32 pm 

Perry wrote:
+1 on the bd packs. two of my touring partners bought em last year and they seem really pleased with the performance. i believe they also come with an avalung option.

which models do they have? ski carry/board carry? quick access tool pocket? (2 most important options) hydration compatible?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:46 pm 

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... cu-in.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:10 pm 

I also rock the BD 42L Anarchist w/ Avalung. I've used it for about 1.5 seasons and its been great so far. It has decent compression straps that pack it down well for day trips. I even manage to cram enough crap into it for short (3 day) hut trips. The front pocket is good for keeping avi gear accessible, and the side access is helpful when I want to grab my down jacket from the bottom of the main pack. The A-frame type carry system works well with my spearhead when split into ski mode (I'd also recommend using a voile strap to secure both ski tips together - really helps stabilize the load)

My gf has the 32 and she likes that pack also.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:04 pm 

mrash wrote:
I also rock the BD 42L Anarchist w/ Avalung. I've used it for about 1.5 seasons and its been great so far. It has decent compression straps that pack it down well for day trips. I even manage to cram enough crap into it for short (3 day) hut trips. The front pocket is good for keeping avi gear accessible, and the side access is helpful when I want to grab my down jacket from the bottom of the main pack. The A-frame type carry system works well with my spearhead when split into ski mode (I'd also recommend using a voile strap to secure both ski tips together - really helps stabilize the load)

My gf has the 32 and she likes that pack also.

Here's an alternate opinion. I despise my BD Anarchist 42. Worst suspension of any pack I have ever owned, it wilted under my share of the weight for a two man 3-day winter mountaineering/splitboarding trip. I pulled the Avalung out of it and put it in a Covert 22 that I got from BD at a gear swap (sans Avalung hardware), which I am quite happy with thus far.

Now that I have picked up a Deuter Guide 45+ to go with my Deuter Glide 35+ I will never, I repeat never carry the Anarchist pack again.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 am 

96avs01 wrote:
Now that I have picked up a Deuter Guide 45+ to go with my Deuter Glide 35+ I will never, I repeat never carry the Anarchist pack again.
Does the guide pack have a dedicated pocket to put a shovel and probe? or how do you rig yours up? how is carrying your board in split mode all the time, or can it be carried as a board as well.
Because it seems like all the packs Ive seen(BD predator, guide 45, osprey variant, a few others i cant think of) seem to be more for winter mountaineering.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 am 

this pack works well for me. it's an indigo tango 44. i believe they're made in colorado.